White Springs is missing again

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No offence at all and I am glad you took none from me. I have no desire to subscribe to anything anymore. Been there did that for too long. Nothing OTA in my area so satellite is my thing. Been watching The National Parks on PBS all week, what a great series. My son has many questions for me while watchng it.

Just thought I would throw that out there. We all love ya here Dee Ann. Don't take nothing to heart.

PS: No I never have seen a donate area on WSTV's site but it doesn't hurt to ask. I run a small business here and I wish sometimes my customers gave me a tip.

No offence at all and I am glad you took none from me. I have no desire to subscribe to anything anymore. Been there did that for too long. Nothing OTA in my area so satellite is my thing. Been watching The National Parks on PBS all week, what a great series. My son has many questions for me while watchng it.

Just thought I would throw that out there. We all love ya here Dee Ann. Don't take nothing to heart.

PS: No I never have seen a donate area on WSTV's site but it doesn't hurt to ask. I run a small business here and I wish sometimes my customers gave me a tip.

;)

I love the national parks videos on PBS too. I soooooo badly want to go to Yellowstone before it blows up and takes half the country with it.

I've often times thought about running away from it all and becoming a park ranger(ette) at Yellowstone. That thought wanders through my mind several times a year.

:)

A few things come to mind about your email. How do you know they are sirs? Could be a mix of men and women. Also more than likely they will have no idea what your are referring to when you mention Equity. One last thing...did you donate to them towards their satelitte/internet bills? I haven't because I don't watch their ancient channel. Sorry to be harsh but some of these low budget FTA channels really need viewer support. Just a matter of time in my opinon and their internet bills will catch up with them too. :smug
If anyone had checked further into their site, the email is directed to a specific person:

Network Operations Manager
e-mail (XXXX)840@aol.com

so it looks like no harm, no foul in the way she addressed her question. I found this by following the links provided on their website, and going to their technical support.

Photto

Photto

//I know you have an internet feed but I am unable to watch it because it is a Windows Media stream and I (and many others) do not use windows computers and have no access to the windows media player.//

What OS are you using that will not play windows media? I'm a Linux user and play windows format using VLC or MPlayer.

I just verified that I can view White Spring's Internet feed on my PC running Linux.

Curious,
Norman

Also more than likely they will have no idea what your are referring to when you mention Equity.

exactly. And on a side note, just because a station leaves satellite, why do you think Equity had anything to do with it?

Equity went through a lot in the 5+ years I had FTA...they just grew too big and ran out of money. They played the "monopoly" game like we did as kids.
Buy up everything you can and pray you have money in the end :)

At the peak of Equity they had around 50-55 owned stations. Mainly low powered ones that weren't on cable unless they were either
-associated with a network (at the time UPN, WB, Univision)
-were full powered and therefore had to be carried

so having probably 25 low powered stations that only a few people can pick up with an antenna isnt going to make money.

For the last 2 years Equity was a sinking ship. Them losing RTN (by selling) and then pulling it off the stations was really the death blow. Also owing over 1/2 million bucks in satellite space didnt help either. When stations leave its usually a reason
KUIL gave us the reason....sat space no longer needed at end of contract
KTWO was indirectly part of Equity. Equity owned them but sold in 06. Equity wanted KTWO to stay up there so they could monitor it for their station (KDEV-LP). When Equity left, KTWO really didnt need to be on satellite so they left too

A few things come to mind about your email. How do you know they are sirs? Could be a mix of men and women. ...:smug

So then, how would you address the recipient of a letter? (whom you don't know, presumably)

....For the last 2 years Equity was a sinking ship. Them losing RTN (by selling) and then pulling it off the stations was really the death blow. Also owing over 1/2 million bucks in satellite space didnt help either....

That and the digital OTA cutover, IMO.

//I know you have an internet feed but I am unable to watch it because it is a Windows Media stream and I (and many others) do not use windows computers and have no access to the windows media player.//

What OS are you using that will not play windows media? I'm a Linux user and play windows format using VLC or MPlayer.

I just verified that I can view White Spring's Internet feed on my PC running Linux.

Curious,
Norman

I'm running one called pc-bsd. My pc is OLD and crashes on everything I've tried to run on it. And I refuse to use windows because I'm sick of the constant $$$$$ for anything at all you need and the constant viruses and all that nonsense.

pc-bsd is the only thing I've found that will work on here that doesn't crash. I couldn't even watch youtube with any other systems, it would always crash and lock up and I would have to press reset and lose stuff.

I can't afford a new pc so I'm stuck with trying to keep this old think running a few more years until I get back on my feet again.

I also have a few sickly old Apple macs but they are sloooooow and have problems. I'm not going to spend any money on fixing them either. They are pretty much done for.

I have used Linux before and it was pretty good but every time they come out with a new version it would act worse and worse on this old thing. To the point of it was useless, I spent more time pressing the reset button than I did typing on it. :(

I don't like this pc-bsd very much but at least it doesn't crash. I can't do much with it, it won't read my camera chip or my key chain memory stick or pretty much anything I plug into it. I can't watch CNN news on it either.

But, at least I can watch youtube without it blowing up on me and I can do email and browsing. I think the poor old thing is just worn out. I don't think it can handle the modern world. Maybe one day I'll get a new one. I hope.. :(

Never watched it but liked having it in the lineup. It was a great idea that they never followed up on. Commercials between the movies and a loyal fan base that would support the advertisers. BUT the movies they started out with two years ago stank and they rarely put on any new ones.
Ok, it was a dumb channel but it was our dumb channel and it will be missed.

Just scanned in 129 w

Just scanned in 129 w and found nothing.

Just emailed WhiteSprings. I hope they reply.

I like to watch WhiteSprings occasionally.

Guess while I am waiting I might move one of dishes to 97 west for some church channels.

Maybe I can find a christian movie or something.

I have used Linux before and it was pretty good but every time they come out with a new version it would act worse and worse on this old thing. To the point of it was useless, I spent more time pressing the reset button than I did typing on it. :(

Off Topic, but have you considered trying one of the lightweight distros?

Several come to mind, Puppy Linux, Xubuntu, Damn small Linux...

Here is a review of several
Lightweight Linux: Top 10 of lightweight Linux distributions | Linux for Old Computers

Also, if an old version of a distro works well on your system, why upgrade? Just keep the old distro unless there is a feature you must have in the newer version :)

Off Topic, but have you considered trying one of the lightweight distros?

Several come to mind, Puppy Linux, Xubuntu, Damn small Linux...

Here is a review of several
Lightweight Linux: Top 10 of lightweight Linux distributions | Linux for Old Computers

Also, if an old version of a distro works well on your system, why upgrade? Just keep the old distro unless there is a feature you must have in the newer version :)

Well, I had great luck with suse 9 but they stopped supporting it and as the internet evolves so rapidly it wasn't long before I found it outdated and not working well anymore. Ever since I upgraded to the suse 10 I've had nothing but trouble. Tried the suse 11 too and it was terrible. And the new KDE is aweful. I didn't like gnome either. So I am always trying something different until I find one that doesn't crash and cause problems. I gave up on the linux and tried the pc-bsd because someone told me it's the same as what apple macs run.
Um, well, not so much. I actually see no relation between them at all BUT, it doesn't crash. It's not very useful but it doesn't crash and lockup.

As to windows, I simply refuse to use it. I've had far too much trouble with it, it cost me too much money and it's always infected with junk. I hate it.
I won't tolerate it.

The entertainment pc runs windows but it's not connected to the internet, I was told that that's the ONLY safe way to run windows.

What I really, really, really need is a new pc. Maybe some of the linux will run on a new one. I think this one is just too old now, I think I got it in 2004. Besides, it's just too slow. It's only a 2gh and 2gb memory. I'm not sure what the disk in it is, never bothered to look because I don't keep much on it.

I would also like to get a newer Mac but those are so insanely expensive. I have four old macs but they are pretty useless. Plug them in and use them to warm the house in the winter.

For now I'm just stuck with this as it is. I'm tired of trying to find a program to make it work right. As it is now, it doesn't crash so I'm leaving it well enough alone. I'm not messing with anymore. I'm just going to nurse it along until I can replace it. Really all I need is a simple pc that works. I don't play games, I could care less about games. I went to Circuit City before they closed and all the kids there were interested in was selling me a machine that could play pc games. Um, no thanks. I told them over and over I don't play pc games at all and don't want one. At most I just want to be able to get online and do my photography and video editing stuff (which I haven't done in a few years now. :( )

Sigh..... Sorry, getting waaaaaay off topic now.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. ;)

Oh, and thank you for the suggestions. :)

Off-topic, but, Mac OS X really is a BSD-style Unix. It just has a different graphical interface than the PC versions, since the PC versions are all public-domain.

I'm not sure why you've had such poor luck with Linux. 2 GHz and 2 GB should be enough for about anything. If I had to guess, since you say it locks up, maybe it doesn't have the proper drivers for whatever graphics card you have in your system.

I haven't tried to view any Microsoft video formats on any of my Linux systems lately, but I suppose I'll have to try it and let you know if any of them work.

To whom it may concern.

To Whom It May Concern:

That sounds so lame! :D I like "Sir" because it seems more respectful and formal than TWIMC even though the receipient is of unknown gender. Unless one is Gloria Steinem, I highly think women will see it as an attempt at respect.

as for WSTV, if it's still in the arc somewhere, I"ll should find it in the next 3-4 weeks. I"m getting ready to do my bimonthly scouring of the satellite arc to check any signal out that is more than 1-2 mhz wide.

ARCH linux is a very simple distro.

Arch Linux

It would fly with a 2 ghz processor 2 gig ram and something like xfce for a desktop enviroment.
pacman makes system updates fast and painless , well 99% painless

Simple does not equal easy so there would be a bit of a learning curve, but you would be able to laugh at the setup of an AZBOX HD after you configure your ARCH box.

PC-BSD is a very worthy project but the method of package management is overly complicated. I understand what the goal is but do not agree with the path that they have taken.

do yourself a favor and learn linux, not just a commercial distro. SUSE is a very complex distro.

Last edited:
so far OT, it's in the next county:

Perhaps all this unix-talk can be stripped out and put over into the FTA Shack in its own thread.

I've fiddled with Solaris, some of the BSDs, and some Linux's in years past.
Not a promoter nor detractor, I believe in live 'n let live. :)

At any rate, there is an option you might want to look into, subject to input from others who actually know something about it.
There are certain PC motherboards which will run the Mac version of BSD (?) right out of the box.
In fact, there's a whole underground movement dedicated to the purpose.
Search on the keyword: hackintosh

Ran across it in a post on SlickDeals, promoting some common motherboard, which would run Mac OS with the stock drivers.
If I didn't have so many other interesting projects to distract me, I'd whip one up and try it. :rolleyes:

I'm running one called pc-bsd. My pc is OLD and crashes on everything I've tried to run on it. And I refuse to use windows because I'm sick of the constant $$$$$ for anything at all you need and the constant viruses and all that nonsense.

pc-bsd is the only thing I've found that will work on here that doesn't crash. I couldn't even watch youtube with any other systems, it would always crash and lock up and I would have to press reset and lose stuff.

Thanks for the details. I have FreeBSD running on a spare PC. You have just motivated me to remove it and play with PC-BSD. :)

I have read that Ubuntu Linux will install on a Mac, but I have not tried it.

I too will miss White Springs on 129.0.

Norman

Perhaps all this unix-talk can be stripped out and put over into the FTA Shack in its own thread.

Ha ha, that is what I was thinking too. Came to see if there was any update on White springs, and thought I got the unix-world site by mistake;).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts