Status
Please reply by conversation.

SNT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
I have 2 HDDVRs and 1 standard DVR.
Back in beta everything worked very well. Recently I have been running into the only 2 tuner issue when wanting to record programming and decided to order the Whole-DVR service.
With my setup, the CSR told me that I needed to have a DECA installed and a new dish for a total of $190 or $199. I could not tell which one she said, but it doesn't matter. I explained that this worked fine in the past without the extra equipment, but she kept on saying that there was nothing she could do as it was not even an option on her screen to add it without the equipment.
Is this right? Why would there be the need for this when everything worked well without it? I would certainly like the service, but it is not worth $200.

-SNT

For D* to install it yes it will cost you $199.00. You can do it yourself and get the unsupperted version. Just connect your two HDDVR's to your internet and then call them and have them enable it then enable it in the menu. The standard dvr will not work on mrv.

For D* to install it yes it will cost you $199.00. You can do it yourself and get the unsupperted version. Just connect your two HDDVR's to your internet and then call them and have them enable it then enable it in the menu. The standard dvr will not work on mrv.

The CSR would not let me do it. All of my DVRs have been connected to the internet since I got them.

Search for the thread on the HOW to ADD UNSUPPORTED MRV; it can be done. One option is to login to your online account and send then a message to turn it on. This thread also has a great "letter" you can copy to send to them for YOUR request. This is how I did it and it was on in about 24 - 36 hours.

Played round robin for close to an hour and got a supervisor, he said that the only way to do it without DECAs is with a HR24, I have a 22 and 23. I give up.

Find the thread I mentioned above and / or visit the Tech Forum actually at DirecTV. Try going through retentions and explaining it to them and see if that helps. This is one of the BEST items DirecTV has and the worst items the know how to work with. CRS and CSR supervisors are simply not techs (not talking about contract installers) they really only know sales and billing; not trouble shooting and there really needs to be a easy to call tech only contact point.

Also, make sure you fully understand how to manage your home network completely if you want to go this route.

I looked for the thread you mentioned but I could not find it. I did find one that mentioned going through tech support. When I did that, I spoke to 3 different agents and they all said that it can not be done without a DECA. I was then transferred to "network" and was told the same thing. I then spoke to a supervisor who told me that the only way to do it with DECAs is with the HR24 which has one built in.
I know this is BS, but I did not know where to go from there.

I have two HR20-100 DVRs networked together without DECA. I was using it during the beta period and when that ended I emailed DirecTV they enabled it on my account for no cost.

Send Stonecold a PM here and "maybe" he can help you out. I think he was the one that started the thread I am talking about. If I can find it again I will post the link to it.

DIRECTV Ask a Question - Use this link and click the arrow next to "Services" and select "Whole Home DVR Service". For subject enter "Please enable Whole Home DVR for beta customer". Then for the question enter: "I would like to add whole home DVR Service to my account using my existing equipment. I am already networked and was part of the Multiroom Viewing Public Beta that has been going on the past few months. I realize this will add $3/month to my bill." This is what I did to get whole home DVR enabled on my account for the HR20-100.

DIRECTV Ask a Question - Use this link and click the arrow next to "Services" and select "Whole Home DVR Service". For subject enter "Please enable Whole Home DVR for beta customer". Then for the question enter: "I would like to add whole home DVR Service to my account using my existing equipment. I am already networked and was part of the Multiroom Viewing Public Beta that has been going on the past few months. I realize this will add $3/month to my bill." This is what I did to get whole home DVR enabled on my account for the HR20-100.

I filled this out. I'll see what happens. If they can not help, I will see what stonecold says.
Thanks all.

-SNT

While I have not received an email back about this, I logged into my account and the Activate Now button was there. Activated, rebooted my receivers, and BOOM, it works.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)