Why I need a receiver with 4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a AZbox elite that I use when there is a 4:2:2 event I want to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The STB was in distribution for sometime before an user researched the capability of the Sigma chipset and requested the AZBox development team if it could be activated. The 4:2:2 feature happened onto the market purely by chance.

Brian, do you have a source for this story? Only thing I could find was that the Elite was released mid-January 2009, and European forum posts at the start of April confirming it could do some 4.2.2 feeds "out of the box" (didn't know there were 4.2.2 feeds in Europe, learn something every day!).

Azbox I have two premium plus and azbox minime do 4.2.2. Compare to the vantage vt1 not to good.Vantage not do 4.2.2. butt azbox support are not good .The vantage 1100z hd are better then the two azbox I have.Vantage vt1 are one good machine and the blind scan the best price expensive, on the web sports etc very good.Support very good to.Azbox I like to have butt are better boxes and better support only 4.2.2 don't worth the price

People who buy receivers are strange. Especially when they are more expensive and inferior in every way to a PC tuner card.

If I had to pick an analogy, I would say that you receiver guys are the console gamers of the free-to-air satellite world. Console gamers claim that their systems are the cheaper and easier option just because they dropped $250 on a Xbox 360 instead of $700 on a gaming PC... but then console gamers go and drop $60 for every new game that comes out and another $15 here and there for a map pack that comes out every couple of months. All while paying $60 a year for Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus and "Call of Duty Elite"

Meanwhile, the PC gamer gets superior versions of everything released for their platform for $5 via Steam sales. So the console gamer ends up spending more money in the long run for an inferior experience, all because they wanted a dumbed down box to stick under the TV because apparently it's too hard to figure out how to use the HDMI output port that has been included on every PC graphics card produced for the last 7 years...

I think I'll stick with my $70 Prof 7301 that can do 4:2:2 MPEG-2 and 4:2:2 H.264... and whatever other wacky formats show up in the sky.

I agree with you but I have both :) I have always said that, its like game consoles and a gaming pc, were again I have both haha.

People who buy receivers are strange. Especially when they are more expensive and inferior in every way to a PC tuner card. If I had to pick an analogy, I would say that you receiver guys are the console gamers of the free-to-air satellite world. Console gamers claim that their systems are the cheaper and easier option just because they dropped $250 on a Xbox 360 instead of $700 on a gaming PC... but then console gamers go and drop $60 for every new game that comes out and another $15 here and there for a map pack that comes out every couple of months. All while paying $60 a year for Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus and "Call of Duty Elite" Meanwhile, the PC gamer gets superior versions of everything released for their platform for $5 via Steam sales. So the console gamer ends up spending more money in the long run for an inferior experience, all because they wanted a dumbed down box to stick under the TV because apparently it's too hard to figure out how to use the HDMI output port that has been included on every PC graphics card produced for the last 7 years... I think I'll stick with my $70 Prof 7301 that can do 4:2:2 MPEG-2 and 4:2:2 H.264... and whatever other wacky formats show up in the sky.
Good analogy. I've got a new i5 build which I'm using with a 32" monitor so I'll be going with a card as my next receiver purchase. I would add that Steam is horrible and the gaming industry is shooting itself in the foot with their DRM/used game positions.

I've had PC tuners for 5 years or so, and I have NEVER watched a feed that took 5 minutes to input. I use dvbviewer and tsreader, and either one takes longer than that, plus at least on my machines, you have to change the sound on the PC to output to whatever video source you're using, then use transedit to scan it in, then send the feed to dvbviewer, then close transedit, then open dvbviewer, change the sound, and then you can watch. Azbox was MUCH faster, and it played smoother and better, codecs on a PC are a nightmare. NONE of my PC's play as smoothly as my Azbox did. But I put up with it.

A box like the openbox or microHD would ROCK with 4:2:2 and an ATSC tuner. I'd place my order today. But I DO understand the issues as Brian stated them. That DOESN'T mean I have to like it though...:D

IAzbox was MUCH faster, and it played smoother and better, codecs on a PC are a nightmare. NONE of my PC's play as smoothly as my Azbox did.

So true on that fact.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've had PC tuners for 5 years or so, and I have NEVER watched a feed that took 5 minutes to input. I use dvbviewer and tsreader, and either one takes longer than that, plus at least on my machines, you have to change the sound on the PC to output to whatever video source you're using, then use transedit to scan it in, then send the feed to dvbviewer, then close transedit, then open dvbviewer, change the sound, and then you can watch. Azbox was MUCH faster, and it played smoother and better, codecs on a PC are a nightmare. NONE of my PC's play as smoothly as my Azbox did. But I put up with it.

A box like the openbox or microHD would ROCK with 4:2:2 and an ATSC tuner. I'd place my order today. But I DO understand the issues as Brian stated them. That DOESN'T mean I have to like it though...:D

Don't blame the PC platform for your incompetence. The PC is whatever you make it to be because it is a completely open platform. If you're having problems it means you've configured your PC in an inefficient manner.

A powerful PC should have no problem with an FTA satellite video.

Can your Azbox instantly skip through 4:2:2 80 Mbps CBS MPEG-2 backhauls? How about 4:2:2 H.264 backhauls? How about those strange MPEG-2 files ABC sometimes generates for their backhauls without any I-Frames?

Can the Azbox decode Dolby E like my PC can? How about combining the Tandberg phase-aligned MPEG-Audio tracks from the ABC and NBC fronthauls into a single 5.1 audio track? Or do you just have to have awkward stereo audio on those feeds because you can only listen to one MP2 pair at a time?

Does the Azbox allow you to record an entire transponder with a single tuner? And how do you pursue effective file management if you do so? A night of recording one of NBC's transponders can rack up a 300 GB file with four H.264 video tracks and a dozen audio pairs to sort out.

The LAV Filters have been able to handle everything I've thrown at them. Sounds like you just need to install a proper codec.

A Quad core 3Ghz Athlon II with 8 gigs of RAM and a GTX 460 video card should be able to play ANYTHING smoothly. I have Elecard for 4:2:2 and the codecs that come with vlc package for everything else.

Haven't tried the LAV filters, thanks for the tip.

I have no need to record so that's a moot issue for me. I might have recorded an half dozen things since I started this journey.

Who said anything about recording?
A night of recording one of NBC's transponders can rack up a 300 GB file with four H.264 video tracks and a dozen audio pairs to sort out.
I just want to watch a college game feed now & then that might happen to be 4:2:2. The AzBox does this job perfectly for me.

Oh, and let me touch on "support" for a bit.

I have a Pansat 9200 and a Coolsat 8000, that have the same factory firmware since I got them, AND they still work fine!

I see no reason why my newly aquired AzBox wouldn't be the same. I have no need for "support" on these things when they just work! :D

I've read about too many pieces of crap receivers on here (i.e openbox), where their owners are loading & re-loading firmware after firmware, just to have it fix one thing while breaking something else that worked before.:rolleyes:

I don't have the time for that, nor would I tolerate it. Make it right or don't bother releasing it. I just want to watch sports feeds. :cool:

Seriously? 5 minutes to tune a channel on a PC? LOL!!!

Here is how my HTPC is configured: Coax line from dish is split with 3ghz splitter. One port goes to the controller unit, a microHD. The other port to the PC Prof tuner input.

On the PC, I use TSReader and have two Generic satellite programmed. One for KU (LO 10750) and another for C (5150) with voltage and switches off.

When I run across a feed to decode with the PC, I press the info button twice on the micrHD to display the transponder frequency and symbol rate. Switch my TV to the HTPC input, open TSReader, select the C or KU satellite, enter 4 or 5 digits in the frequency field and enter 4 or 5 digits in the symbol rate field. Press Tune and all available services are displayed on the screen. Double click on the service that I want to watch and VLC automatically launches. DONE!

30 - 45 seconds at tops! :D

BTW... I am not trying suggest the PC over a AZBox. Both have their benefits! I am simply trying to show members how easy it is to receive services not available with most STBs.

Last edited:
Can your Azbox instantly skip through 4:2:2 80 Mbps CBS MPEG-2 backhauls? How about 4:2:2 H.264 backhauls? How about those strange MPEG-2 files ABC sometimes generates for their backhauls without any I-Frames?

Can the Azbox decode Dolby E like my PC can? How about combining the Tandberg phase-aligned MPEG-Audio tracks from the ABC and NBC fronthauls into a single 5.1 audio track? Or do you just have to have awkward stereo audio on those feeds because you can only listen to one MP2 pair at a time?

Does the Azbox allow you to record an entire transponder with a single tuner? And how do you pursue effective file management if you do so? A night of recording one of NBC's transponders can rack up a 300 GB file with four H.264 video tracks and a dozen audio pairs to sort out.

sounds like someone is mad so they're playing the "my girlfirend is fatter than your girlfriend" game :rolleyes:

But seriously you watch that much NBC? Damn other than the local news and the Biggest Loser NBC isn't on in my house. :)

But I guess whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy

LOL!!! :eek:

The search feature can be your friend.... :D

This post might provide additional information...
http://www.satelliteguys.com/threads/286960-4-2-2-on-the-MicroHD-in-the-future?p=2896633#post2896633

Once a year, as we near March Madness there is an increase in 4:2:2 for the college games. This is due to many small market downlinks having not invested in MPEG4 IRDs. This way legacy equipment can be used to receive the games for local distribution. Uplink truck operators share that 4:2:2 requests are becoming very rare.

Last edited:
sounds like someone is mad so they're playing the "my girlfirend is fatter than your girlfriend" game :rolleyes:

But seriously you watch that much NBC? Damn other than the local news and the Biggest Loser NBC isn't on in my house. :)

But I guess whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy

Mad at what? No one is mad here. We're having a debate.

I find myself watching a fair amount of material on NBC because the quality of their feed is so good.

1080i H.264 video @ 25 Mbps; no one else beats that when it comes to a 24/7 fronthaul feed. NBC is literally Blu-ray quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts