Why is dish still missing games in HD?

What do you want in reguards to HD RSN's

• HD GAME Time only W/ Pregame and Post game only studio content

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Full HD all the time! All content in HD, or as the network provides.

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Dont care!

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Now that the NHL is down to the final two as well as the NBA, why is it that dish still manages to miss out on MLB games in HD! Dish's excuse was that these were going on, and they couldn't handle the RSN load. News flash dish! NHL and NBA games arnt on the RSN's any more (nhl is on Versus and NBC, NBA is on ABC) So why are we continuing to miss out on HD RSN's! Why also amongst repeated requests among many members of this forum (I'll admit im one of the most vocal) dish continues to Ignore our requests forcing customers to go to D*. I thought the name of the game was to keep customers and not drive them away. With the price increases lately there shouldn't be any reason why you cant carry these specially after the fact that we already pay for the rsn in the SD package, and when you add in the HD enabling fee, We already pay for them!

Dish your shooting yourself in the foot. These customers who leave get locked in to two year agreements, and directv's HD programming (with the new HD launches are coming on par with yours) These customers wont be coming back because the programming that was missing on Directv wont be missing for much longer. I just dont get how this company survives and somehow keeps on missing out on programming that people want to see such as local sports. Local sports is just as important as local weather, so while your launching the local weather why not launch HD rsn's so we can get our local sports programming we pay for!

So dish' amongst the price increases, and promises of years ago, why not finally do something about it or what's your lame excuse now?:up

The actual reason is that some of the RSNs refuse to pay to install uplink from some locations in HD to Dish.

So, for example, all matches from Staples Center in L.A. are in HD to Dish because there is an HD uplink from there.

The actual reason is that some of the RSNs refuse to pay to install uplink from some locations in HD to Dish.

So, for example, all matches from Staples Center in L.A. are in HD to Dish because there is an HD uplink from there.

Uhhh Wrong! Just about every RSN in HD is up on Cband! Also, games are fed to from the center's to fiber, From fiber it goes to the rsn (unless a sat truck is used) then it goes via sat. In some cases both are used. From the RSN it goes to dish via fiber or cband (most likely cband) Every comcast sports net is up on gal 17 Cband to include the comcast holdouts. There is one RSN that I know of that isn't on gal 17 and that's STO. MASN and others I believe are fed via fiber. (they too could be on cband and just not found yet as they could be in DCII. ) I don't believe for one moment is that its the RSN's who refuse to pay to install an uplink. Especially when dish has an uplink in every region and its as simple as microwaving it or fibering to an uplink that echostar has.

I really think that the reason is that dish is just lazy and doesn't want to do the work of launching these full time. For some reason dish has it in there head they dont need these. Also, for dish to provide a feed of the game before and not now is bullhonky especially when when the programming providers go out of the way to provide their games to dish.

Programmers want you to see their content. That's how they make money. To say that they dont want to make the effort for you to see their signal is an absolutely ridiculous argument!

I totally agree. I emailed the "CEO" and got the same generated message that everyone gets. The NHL and NBA playoffs are pretty much over, but I am stuck watching a game in SD on a Sunday afternoon!

Dish just does not want to dedicate 2 more TPs on each arc to RSNs. If they did, they could carry them all in HD full time. They believe they can get more customers with 14-16 other HD channels instead.

Given their current pattern, I suspect they will not do it until after they convert WA to 8PSK, and free up a few TPs.

The funny part is they have the 2 transponders on WA and EA available now.

Which attracts a new customer more? 16 new HD channels or a full time RSN? Remember for most it is 1 RSN locally. They still plug games in HD, so you risk the occasional game not in HD for 16 other HD channels (and yes I am well aware of most HD channels lacking in HD). The 16 HD channels will sell more subscriptions.

Which attracts a new customer more? 16 new HD channels or a full time RSN? Remember for most it is 1 RSN locally. They still plug games in HD, so you risk the occasional game not in HD for 16 other HD channels (and yes I am well aware of most HD channels lacking in HD). The 16 HD channels will sell more subscriptions.
Of course you need to have the required dish to receive the 16 new HD channels. I agree from a marketing perspective when looking for new customers 16 new HD's vs the local RSN in HD makes more business sense. However Dish just doesn't want to treat their existing subs as valuable...NESN carries the Bruins and Red Sox, throughout 6 STATES!!!! it would seem that might be a bunch of subs that would like full time HD...I know it has been said before but Direct caters to the sports fan and DIsh does not. I guess it boils down to pay more with Direct and have a full time HD RSN or stay with Dish and get most games in HD.

Ross

Full time RSN's as Dish has just about every HD channel out there now that is non sport's.

Also, While direct does cater to sports fans, that's hardly a reason to throw in the towel. Basically by saying go to directv your saying that you want dish to fail because they cant do it better than D* The point is they want to be the number one satellite company out there and they cant do it without improving their sports programming and adding full time RSN's IN HD.

I would like it much better if RSNs were full time. I sub to the sports pack and being able to have high quality upconverts would be nice even with the non HD programming. Not to mention college sports in HD. I just wish they would hurry up and start the 8PSK conversion so they could carry all the RSNs 24/7 HD.

Uhhh Wrong!

Over the past 25 years, most Internet claims of "wrong" are actally wrong. ;)

My statement was simply reporting what the guy at Dish who is directly responsible for RSNs told me.

What I reported was a paraphrase, but the short version is that when there is no obvious conflict, then if game is not in HD, then Dish does not have a feed available of the match in HD.

As to why, he said that a lack of cooperation on the part of the RSNs was a significant factor. See below for the reason for that:

Programmers want you to see their content. That's how they make money. To say that they dont want to make the effort for you to see their signal is an absolutely ridiculous argument!

:D :D :D

Same comment about "absolutely ridiculous" as "wrong".

Comcast = Cable provider as well as a programmer.

They want you to move from satellite to cable in order to get the game in HD...

Over the past 25 years, most Internet claims of "wrong" are actally wrong. ;)

My statement was simply reporting what the guy at Dish who is directly responsible for RSNs told me.

What I reported was a paraphrase, but the short version is that when there is no obvious conflict, then if game is not in HD, then Dish does not have a feed available of the match in HD.

sorry hoss but Bob is right. All the baseball stadiums have fibre from the stadium and that is usually used for HD broadcasts. MOst of the RSN's in HD are scrambled up on C-Band so its there. And if D* and cable can get that feed why can't Dish? I dont think FSN is holding the HD feed "hostage" ;)

So lets see....there are teams who state ALL their games are in HD and they are part of the FSN Networks. 2 examples is FSN North (Twins) and FSN Wisco (Brewers) yet how many games are not shown on E* in HD?

Full time RSN's as Dish has just about every HD channel out there now that is non sport's.

Also, While direct does cater to sports fans, that's hardly a reason to throw in the towel. Basically by saying go to directv your saying that you want dish to fail because they cant do it better than D* The point is they want to be the number one satellite company out there and they cant do it without improving their sports programming and adding full time RSN's IN HD.

soon™

Previous to last year, SNY (Sportsnet New York) only showed home games at Shea Stadium. Last year there was a great improvment where just about every game was in HD. Home and away!

Fast forward to 2010, we are right back to 2 years ago where all home games at CitiField is all we get in HD.

I am hoping this is just a temporary problem due to troubles with the failing satellite at 61.5°.

Once Echostar 15 is in place, Dish no longer has any excuses. Full time RSN's in HD should start to be the normal practice.

And what the hell is up with MSG and MSG+? Uplinked and just testing for how many years? That's pathetic!

Previous to last year, SNY (Sportsnet New York) only showed home games at Shea Stadium. Last year there was a great improvment where just about every game was in HD. Home and away!

Fast forward to 2010, we are right back to 2 years ago where all home games at CitiField is all we get in HD.

I am hoping this is just a temporary problem due to troubles with the failing satellite at 61.5°.

Once Echostar 15 is in place, Dish no longer has any excuses. Full time RSN's in HD should start to be the normal practice.

And what the hell is up with MSG and MSG+? Uplinked and just testing for how many years? That's pathetic!
other than the fact that contract may need to be signed.........

Same comment about "absolutely ridiculous" as "wrong".

Comcast = Cable provider as well as a programmer.

They want you to move from satellite to cable in order to get the game in HD...

Directv has CSN CHI HD 24/7 and CSN CHI + HD (over flow) ALL HD GAMES + PRE AND POST.

Just way for the blackhawks to win it all and for DISH to cut off the HD post game show. As the base ball games before it ended and they trun offed the HD what a joke. This why + NO MLB NETWORK is why I can even think about going to dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)