SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
North Carolina, USA
hi there.
i have dish
spectrum 400/30
vonage phone

other then lure you in price, HBO, and a bump in internet speed....
what would be a reason to switch to another provider?
ATMC/ATT just ran fiber in my neighborhood . I can get 1G along with the same channels. the price really isn’t that much better. How much better could picture quality be, and who really needs 1G???

To address that Internet speed, personally, I take full advantage of it. It’s not unusual for me to be streaming a hockey game on one monitor and gaming on another. Plus, I have all of my TVs, my hopper and other Wi-Fi devices all connected to a mesh router system. So I have come to depend on Internet speed that is that fast. It’s like anything else, you grow into it

hi there.
i have dish
spectrum 400/30
vonage phone

other then lure you in price, HBO, and a bump in internet speed....
what would be a reason to switch to another provider?
ATMC/ATT just ran fiber in my neighborhood . I can get 1G along with the same channels. the price really isn’t that much better. How much better could picture quality be, and who really needs 1G???

Which Dish dvr do you have? If the price is nearly the same for the channels you want, there's NO real reason to switch. Spectrum usually has VERY OLD dvr's (Motorola's) and they are like a 1930's Flash Gordon firecracker rocket, compared to Dish's futuristic warp drive star ship.

Which Dish dvr do you have? If the price is nearly the same for the channels you want, there's NO real reason to switch. Spectrum usually has VERY OLD dvr's (Motorola's) and they are like a 1930's Flash Gordon firecracker rocket, compared to Dish's futuristic warp drive star ship.
hhhaaa
i have the hopper 3 and 4k joey, and a 4K LG OLED

Reactions: charlesrshell
hhhaaa
i have the hopper 3 and 4k joey, and a 4K LG OLED

That was NO JOKE I posted above. Spectrum's dvr's are HORRIBLE, and you'll be very upset within a few days if not much sooner, if you switch and that's the trash they give you. NO way to only have the channels you subscribe to in the guide like Dish has (and Spectrum repeats the channel tiers 4 times on different channel numbers!), rebooting at random, only 2 tuners, really bad...

The way I have been treated on an upgrade - just today - This 18 year customer is getting real close to pulling the Dish plug

I went from Dish with a VIP722k, to Charter/Spectrum, to OTA antenna only with a Tivo Roamio dvr (with Epix, and shared Netflix). IF I was still going to watch "cable channels", I would go back to Dish, hands down. I would never, EVER go back to Charter/Spectrum's cable tv. It's garbage, period!

Their internet ONLY though, is pretty much stellar, and I have no complaints with the 100/10 tier I have at present, except I'd like if it was a bit cheaper. It just went up this month to $65.99 a month. I also get free Epix with that internet only sub.

Last edited:
its just that the term fiber optic makes it seem like picture quality is going to be better

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Maybe it would be, that's hard to say without trying it. If you do some inquiries and it sounds like they are now using much newer equipment in your area, you could always keep Dish for now, have the other installed, and try them side by side. Unless they also force you to sign a contract to keep it for a couple years, in which case you'll have to decide what to do.

Personally, I'd wait and find out what your friends or neighbors think of it, letting them be the guinea pigs paying for it and trying it out. It is possible your area has better equipment and such than mine does.

its just that the term fiber optic makes it seem like picture quality is going to be better

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

If it is AT&T Fiber, it will be Uverse TV (for now). The PQ is good if you have Fiber, but not significantly better or worse than Dish/DirecTV. I have 100Mb Internet on AT&T Fiber. I could get Gig, and I may one day, but 100Mb is fine for my wife and me.

I’m leaving Dish. I already have gigabit AT&T Fiber. I’ll subscribe to YouTube TV and Philo. My cost goes from $140/month for top 250, hopper 3 and 3 joeys to $56/month. Dish said don’t let the door hit ya, thanks for the early termination fees (I added an HD Joey last year). After over 20 years of subscription I will not be back.

Reactions: gblaue and salyavin
I’m leaving Dish. I already have gigabit AT&T Fiber. I’ll subscribe to YouTube TV and Philo. My cost goes from $140/month for top 250, hopper 3 and 3 joeys to $56/month. Dish said don’t let the door hit ya, thanks for the early termination fees (I added an HD Joey last year). After over 20 years of subscription I will not be back.

After you get a taste of streaming you might find out that the grass isn't always greener.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)