why would someone leave dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It can vary so much from area to area. So while ATT might be the least reliable provider in your area, it may be the best elsewhere. I know in my town, its pretty bulletproof, whereas the local cable company has outages weekly it seems.

I wondered about that after I posted this but I figured if AT&T was going anywhere, somebody would just say so. I know in most of the state of Illinois, it’s horrible

I didn’t notice that. I believe this thread started out with him talking about his bill primarily, plus the dig on picture quality. There’s one thing about this that I really do question. How can anything be reliable and AT&T Internet? AT&T’s Internet, to be frank, sucks so I don’t see how anybody can reliably stream on that, Or I’m missing something

Clearly, YMMV. In my locale, AT&T is one of the best. I'd even go so far as to say it is better than Google Fiber, given how many outages they've had recently. Aside from ice storm-inducing outages, it is always up, unlike Charter Spectrum which likes to go out when it rains or gets too hot or too cold in our area. It also has the lowest latency, in the single digit milliseconds. Not unlike my cell phone service (also AT&T), I could wish for a better company to get service from, but I cannot do that without compromising in some way (coverage (T-Mobile) and network congestion (Verizon) to name two). Also, not unlike flying United: if they have the best price, I am probably still going to fly with them, no matter how detestable they are as a company.

I stream UHD stuff from Amazon and Vudu on AT&T Fiber all the time with no issues.

Reactions: HipKat
I didn’t notice that.
No problem. There had been other posters in other threads that tried to compare DTVNow picture quality with Dish satellite picture, and make it sound like they were comparing sat to sat. So I can see how you might have glossed over the reference to DTVNow.

Of course streaming apps like SlingTV, DTVNow, PSVue, YTTV, etc. generally will have much better picture quality under ideal conditions than satellite or cable-delivered channels.

No problem. There had been other posters in other threads that tried to compare DTVNow picture quality with Dish satellite picture, and make it sound like they were comparing sat to sat. So I can see how you might have glossed over the reference to DTVNow.

Of course streaming apps like SlingTV, DTVNow, PSVue, YTTV, etc. generally will have much better picture quality under ideal conditions than satellite or cable-delivered channels.
Today I watched last nights Passage on Hulu (commercial free) via my FireTV. The picture on my 75" display was superb. Then I followed that with watching a bit of it from my DVR recording on my Hopper 3. Night and day. The 1080p stream was just great looking by comparison to the Hopper. The 1080p is part of it for sure, it's just cleaner than 1080i. Compression is the other side.

I didn’t notice that. I believe this thread started out with him talking about his bill primarily, plus the dig on picture quality. There’s one thing about this that I really do question. How can anything be reliable and AT&T Internet? AT&T’s Internet, to be frank, sucks so I don’t see how anybody can reliably stream on that, Or I’m missing something

It wasn’ a “dig”. I was justifying why I took the dish down. Price originally, but once I was able see both side by side, I found out what I was missing in picture quality. 5Mbit and MPEG-4 vs 12Mbit and H.264.
I don’t have any problem with AT&T’s internet service, because I don’t have it. I have spectrum, and it’s been extremely reliable for the 20 years that I have had them.

Today I watched last nights Passage on Hulu (commercial free) via my FireTV. The picture on my 75" display was superb. Then I followed that with watching a bit of it from my DVR recording on my Hopper 3. Night and day. The 1080p stream was just great looking by comparison to the Hopper. The 1080p is part of it for sure, it's just cleaner than 1080i. Compression is the other side.

Yup

The problem I’ve always had with services like Directv Now is the buffering. Yes, these services have better picture quality than regular Directv and Dish, BUT, even with a 100mb/s internet connection I had constant buffering. Plus when you add in the Hopper 3 technology and all it brings vs. what you have with streamer packages...you kinda get what you pay for.

We really see little buffering overall using our AT&T and Verizon hotspots for streaming, usually with speeds in the 10-20 Mbps range, with occasional jumps up to 40-50 Mbps in some locations. We stream on demand with our Hopper, plus DishAnywhere and a dozen or so other apps on our Firestick. As much as we enjoy our Dish service, if we were stationary with reliable Internet and OTA, I wouldn't hesitate to cut the "cord".

The problem I’ve always had with services like Directv Now is the buffering. Yes, these services have better picture quality than regular Directv and Dish, BUT, even with a 100mb/s internet connection I had constant buffering. Plus when you add in the Hopper 3 technology and all it brings vs. what you have with streamer packages...you kinda get what you pay for.

Virtually no buffering. Other than the DVR, I think Apple TV can do way more. I get everything that I used from dish, but now just pay less. Also, get more out of my $65/month 100M/bps internet service. I think it’s a win-win for me. Plus I get HBO again.

Reactions: voodooevil
My friends parents are switching from Dish to Direct. For the first year with two receivers, the Premier pack for $125. Direct said they will offer "Discounts" for the second year when the $125 rate is over. What they are is anyone's guess. The contract is for 2 years as usual. The reason for the switch is no HBO/Cinemax on Dish. They have 100 down in streaming. All they have to buy is a Fire Stick to get both. That is what I did. I told my friend, they may be shocked in time, as the Premier pack (now) is $189, so the bill without discounts will be at least $204 with the second receiver. I guess there is an installation charge. Don't know what it is. I never paid one with Dish as I have done all of my own work. I'll stay with Dish. Dish rocks! He was disappointed as Direct does not have any of the diginets or some of the movie channels Dish has. He likes the game shows on Buzzr. I talk to a lot of older people with Dish and they sure like those diginets like METV, Buzzr, Grit, Get TV, etc. More the merrier. Hope they can add Antenna TV, Decades, THIS, etc. Great channels for us older folks. I'll be 70 next month.Been with Dish going into my 20th year and I have no plans to change. Now with streaming if Dish loses a channel, if important I probably can pick it up elsewhere. $204 a month? Ouch. I'll stay with my $83.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)