Why?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TomCat4680

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 15, 2008
Mt. Morris, Michigan
Can someone explain this to me? I'd like some answers, it doesn't make sense to me. Please don't accuse me of complaining or being negative; I'm not, I'm being inquisitive.

DirecTV is adding new infomercial channels rapidly (I think i've spotted 3 this week at least). If they are getting a record amount of new subscribers every year, why do they need the extra money? Also since they're "supposedly" out of bandwidth for new channels that people actually want, how do they keep fitting in these infomercial channels?

Can someone explain this to me? I'd like some answers, it doesn't make sense to me. Please don't accuse me of complaining or being negative; I'm not, I'm being inquisitive.

DirecTV is adding new infomercial channels rapidly (I think i've spotted 3 this week at least). If they are getting a record amount of new subscribers every year, why do they need the extra money? Also since tons of you "think" they're out of bandwidth for new channels that people actually want, how do they keep fitting in these infomercial channels?

There is some bandwidth opening up for some sd channels with the ending of the old hd channels on 110 and 119. The new channels that most seem to want are hd, and therefore on the new satellites 99 and 103. BTW, there is still some available bandwidth for new hd, but Directv hasn't added very many lately. Who knows exactly why. The best guess is that contracts are involved.

DirecTV should follow the lead of our new President be more transparent about what they plan on adding / deleting, etc.

AFN (Ch. 325) is gone without an explanation now. (not that I actually watch it but WTF?)

Another thing is that you can get several SD channels in the bandwidth of one HD channel. The new infomercial channels should be going on 101 because 110 and 119 are being phased out for domestic programming packages. 110 and 119 will be just for international programming going forward. I think the new SWMLine dish won't even pick up 110 and 119.

And like raoul says D* has available bandwidth. They can add around 15 HD channels on 99/103. Why they haven't yet, who the heck knows.

space for 15 more HD channels huh? hey theres 15 HBO and Cinemax HD channels that are missing, how bout those for a start? (again not being negative or complaining, just looking for answers)

ok well the bandwidth question was answered (kind of).

so from a marketing standpoint, why do they need all of this extra money from infomercials if they're gaining subscribers in record numbers?

According to Scott's blog (2/10/09) : "DirecTV had an amazing quarter by adding over 300,000 new subscribers in the quarter, plus with the lowest churn rate in 9 years the team at DirecTV deserve some praise today.
DirecTV saw their revenues grow in 2008 by over 11% and their ARPU also increased to $83.90."

full story: http://www.multichannel.com/blog/The_Satellite_Dish/11099-Big_Numbers_for_DirecTV.php

ok well the bandwidth question was answered (kind of).

so from a marketing standpoint, why do they need all of this extra money from infomercials if they're gaining subscribers in record numbers?

According to Scott's blog (2/10/09) : "DirecTV had an amazing quarter by adding over 300,000 new subscribers in the quarter, plus with the lowest churn rate in 9 years the team at DirecTV deserve some praise today.
DirecTV saw their revenues grow in 2008 by over 11% and their ARPU also increased to $83.90."

full story: Big Numbers for DirecTV | The Satellite Dish | Blog on Multichannel News - 11099

After my debacle with E* the past couple of days, I can see why D* has added those kinds of numbers. I swithching to D* now because E* is well...boneheaded!

Jeff

it makes perfect sense to fill up vacated space with infomercials. Who wants more HD premium HBO channels anyway right? Its not like its something important like bandwidth for ST in HD only used 1 day out of seven. :rolleyes:

i heard Verizon wants to have exclusive rights to NFLST (ok not really).

but hypothetically speaking, how valuable would D* be to you if they didn't have NFLST?

There's alot more to TV (and life) than football!

D* gained 300,00 new subscribers last year. i don't have the raw data but I'm guessing the free 3 months of HBO/Starz/Showtime for new subscribers had something to do with it. Oddly there was no NFLST free preview (has there ever been?)
Watched NFLST for a week and didn't like it because the game you wanted to see was blacked out? Too bad, you already paid for the whole season, no refunds or returns. Didn't like the free movie channels? No problem, cancel them, no harm, no foul. Try it BEFORE you buy it I always say.

Last edited:
There's alot more to TV (and life) than football!

The same could be said of movies Tom:p

Seriously, I understand the want for more premiums, and I would not mind them either. However many people have different wants, and I can think of a few channels I would RATHER have than added premiums. To each his own though, and maybe we will all be satisfied one day (for that matter, I already am)

DirecTV is adding new infomercial channels rapidly (I think i've spotted 3 this week at least). If they are getting a record amount of new subscribers every year, why do they need the extra money? Also since they're "supposedly" out of bandwidth for new channels that people actually want, how do they keep fitting in these infomercial channels?
I know you said you are only being inquisitive, but this does concern you or you would not be inquiring about it to begin with. The simple thing is to not have the channel saved in your favorites list. I would not have even known they added any of these channels until you just now mentioned it. Adding these channels has no impact on not adding other channels. In fact it could help them add other channels as it increases their revenue.

DirecTV should follow the lead of our new President be more transparent about what they plan on adding / deleting, etc.

AFN (Ch. 325) is gone without an explanation now. (not that I actually watch it but WTF?)

Does that mean Direct will then charge the upper programming viewers more for the same packages and give the lower 40% free programming? :p

I have been a Directv subscriber since 1994 and it still amamzes me that a lot of people on this forum think they have all the answers. Directv is in the business of making MONEY. Even though, they have, as we all have, made mistakes they are making MONEY. it was a great service in 94 and a great service now. If they gave us all the channels we have asked for the rate would certainly go up, and theyn we would complain aout that

I have been a Directv subscriber since 1994 and it still amamzes me that a lot of people on this forum think they have all the answers. Directv is in the business of making MONEY. Even though, they have, as we all have, made mistakes they are making MONEY. it was a great service in 94 and a great service now. If they gave us all the channels we have asked for the rate would certainly go up, and theyn we would complain aout that
i couldnt have said it better my self... we will always find something to complain about... thats human nature

It is not that DirecTV "needs" the extra money from the infomercial channels...they "want" the money and the stockholders want it.

There is so much compression on the infomercial channels I have watched that I am sure little bandwidth is being used. I've also seen the informercial channels turned off and back on at times, so it would seem that they occasionally used some of the bandwidth for other things.

I want the HD premiums and IFC HD, but I don't think the infomercial channels are part of the hold up...

It is not that DirecTV "needs" the extra money from the infomercial channels...they "want" the money and the stockholders want it.

There is so much compression on the infomercial channels I have watched that I am sure little bandwidth is being used. I've also seen the informercial channels turned off and back on at times, so it would seem that they occasionally used some of the bandwidth for other things.

I want the HD premiums and IFC HD, but I don't think the infomercial channels are part of the hold up...

So they just give the infomercial money to their stockholders? How's that legal? Should I call the SEC?

The same could be said of movies Tom:p

Seriously, I understand the want for more premiums, and I would not mind them either. However many people have different wants, and I can think of a few channels I would RATHER have than added premiums. To each his own though, and maybe we will all be satisfied one day (for that matter, I already am)

How about Travel HD so we can watch Beach weeknd ! IN HD! :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts