Wii u

And RAM that runs half the speed of the he current consoles. Probably to blame for the poor performance of most of the ports.

Has more of it, but will cause issues for games that need to load/unload it frequently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Probably also the fact that the OS is brand new isn't helping things either. Apparently Television isn't the only one having issues with loading times..
http://kotaku.com/5967778/this-woman-is-totally-baffled-by-her-wii-us-loading-times

We enjoyed the Wii when it first came out. After about 6 months it lost it's wow factor. Based on the reviews and what people are saying I doubt we will get the Wii U.

I like Nintendo. The only console of Nintendo I never owned was a GameCube.

Mario and other 1st party titles still make me want one. It"s already very clear this can't be your only console if you're much if a gamer though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I got a chance to play one this weekend. For you who purchased one for Christmas update before Christmas if you want the kids to play on Christmas day. The kids will want to play it and won't be wanting to wait. I'm talking 2 or 3 hours for updates.
Yeah I did that before wrapping it up. Set up accounts for all the kids and did all the updates that were available. Even updated Nintendoland as well, and entered account info for Hulu Plus and Netflix. Now it's ready to be played out of the box when they open it on Christmas morning.

Is it really worth buying if you didn't play the Wii much?

Is it really worth buying if you didn't play the Wii much?
I wouldn't let THAT be your criteria for buying this. As I said, I think it's simply not worth buying yet because there's not enough games out for it, the system is far from optimized, and it's still the original price. And the software that IS out isn't of good enough quality IMO to justify the purchase, as is common with most launch games, and I don't think a new Mario is worth the ~$300 price tag.

At least it looks like it's not hard to find Wii Us in stores..

4FqSZ.jpg

I wouldn't let THAT be your criteria for buying this. As I said, I think it's simply not worth buying yet because there's not enough games out for it, the system is far from optimized, and it's still the original price. And the software that IS out isn't of good enough quality IMO to justify the purchase, as is common with most launch games, and I don't think a new Mario is worth the ~$300 price tag.

At least it looks like it's not hard to find Wii Us in stores..

4FqSZ.jpg

I have seen them everywhere.

I haven't really looked for one but I have read several sources where the Wii U stock is plentiful due to what you just said.

I remember looking for the original Wii for several months and happened upon two at the same time (one thanks to Scott and Eva who found it for me!)

It was up there because of BluRay.. Don't forget, when the PS3 released (and for close to a year thereafter), it was the cheapest BluRay player on the market - AND it played games...

This isn't very good news for Wii U fans. The same thing happened to the Dreamcast...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/16/no-new-ea-games-in-development-for-wii-u/

I think it's pretty safe to say that this will be the last Nintendo home console. They will just focus on the hand held market where they are dominating. For both the Wii and Wii U they basically decided not to even bother trying to compete for any of the core gamers. The only core gamers they made happy with those consoles were the people who have to play the Nintendo first party games. The thing is, if they would have went with competitive hardware on the Wii the people who just want Nintendo games would have been happy too. They made it so third parties can't port over the same game so they missed out on every major game not made by Nintendo.

They bet it all on non-gamers. They wanted soccer moms who have never played a game before to pick it up because of the motion controls. Well their gimmick worked. The Wii console sold huge numbers, but most of those sales were to non-gamers who probably didn't turn the thing on after the first couple months let alone continue to buy games. Now their motion control fad is over and those soccer moms didn't come back for round 2.

Yes, it's cool that our consoles can do so much extra stuff now. I think they lost focus on what these machines are for though. These boxes should be for gamers first. If the casual market wants to pick them up that's great but don't count on them to be your base because Nintendo is starting to see that they won't stick around.

PS3 had the same problem for the first few years. Non-gamers were buying it for blu-ray. The system was selling at a loss and the people who bought it weren't buying games to give them licensing money. As a result Sony was suffering huge losses. I think they saw the writing on the wall and refocused on the gamers in the last year or two. Their PS4 conference was definitely gamer focused and we didn't hear about how this will be the media center for the living room like we did last round. They realize that people won't buy a game machine for that in the next generation now that we have lower cost blu-ray players and streaming devices.

That is a major blow to the Wii U, but the Wii was hard for them too with the Frostbite 2 engine.

The Wii was never $350, and the Wii U is currently on track to do worse than the Gamecube (PS3 was never this bad). It's a historically bad launch and at this point the window closed for a recovery as soon as the PS4 was announced. The hardcore Nintendo faithful have for the most part already bought them at this price, and now even if they reduced the price and released a couple of truly good games you are asking for a $350-$500 (controllers, games, accessories, etc) investment in the glare of the next generation of consoles.

It would be nice to have 3 viable competing consoles, unfortunately Nintendo put out the 3rd of a generation that is already several years old and declined to compete with the next one.

I don't see a scenario at this point where they repeat their mild success rejuvenating the 3DS via price cut (it still missed expectations this past FY), especially with them already selling the U at a loss. They're sitting on a lot of cash so it's not like Nintendo is going anywhere, but I too think this could be their last home console.

Vita is going down the same path, with Sony just reading water with the device until the PS4 hits to see if they can get it to catch on as a PS4 accessory it seems.

I don't think it will be their last console.It's a flop,time to get creative again.Nintendo has a ton of exclusive characters and content.Everyone thought they would get out after the gamecube,they instead returned in a huge way with the Wii.I expect they will do it again.

They returned in a huge way with a fad, and it ended almost as quickly. They have yet to really even be able to compete in the HD gaming market that started several years ago. If they can find another gimmick and release it for less than the next gen consoles are priced at in 2-3 years then perhaps they can create another shovelware console with mostly 1st party titles to carry it again.

The Wii isn't a successful or sustainable formula, no companies are hoping to duplicate that outside of the ability to cross into non-traditional gaming markets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)