Wii u

All I'm saying is,don't underestimate Nintendo.They aren't Sega.

I think they are going to follow in Sega's footsteps. I think they will stop making home consoles. I think they will become a game publisher like Sega but unlike Sega they will continue to make handhelds because that is actually selling for them. Give up the consoles and just start putting out Mario, Zelda, Smash Brothers, etc... as multiplatform games on the other systems.

I know that people love their first party games but they can't keep putting out consoles that are just Nintendo boxes. Their weren't many quality 3rd party games on the Wii and the Wii U looks like it's going to have even fewer. I mean how many more times do they think people are going to keep throwing down $350 just to play Mario again.

I know people feel great nostalgia for Nintendo franchises but I don't think I ever need to play Mario again. I've grown up and my tastes have changed. My games don't have to be violent but I need them to be more mature than Nintendo's offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I think they are going to follow in Sega's footsteps. I think they will stop making home consoles. I think they will become a game publisher like Sega but unlike Sega they will continue to make handhelds because that is actually selling for them. Give up the consoles and just start putting out Mario, Zelda, Smash Brothers, etc... as multiplatform games on the other systems.

I know that people love their first party games but they can't keep putting out consoles that are just Nintendo boxes. Their weren't many quality 3rd party games on the Wii and the Wii U looks like it's going to have even fewer. I mean how many more times do they think people are going to keep throwing down $350 just to play Mario again.

I know people feel great nostalgia for Nintendo franchises but I don't think I ever need to play Mario again. I've grown up and my tastes have changed. My games don't have to be violent but I need them to be more mature than Nintendo's offerings.

I swear I didn't hear about this before my post but a senior engineer at EA seems to agree with pretty much everything in it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/17/ea-senior-engineer-the-wii-u-is-crap

I disagree.I wouldn't consider myself a Nintendo fan boy either.I don't see them going the route of Sega.I could be wrong but,i think Nintendo will come back with another home console.Just like Windows isn't going to fold up because of win8.They both have had huge misses but,they always manage to comeback.

I disagree.I wouldn't consider myself a Nintendo fan boy either.I don't see them going the route of Sega.I could be wrong but,i think Nintendo will come back with another home console.Just like Windows isn't going to fold up because of win8.They both have had huge misses but,they always manage to comeback.

Windows and Nintendo are different. Despite what people may say about Windows 8 Windows is still dominating the PC market. There are far more PCs in the wild than Macs or Linux boxes.

Nintendo's Wii U on the other hand isn't selling any units even when they are the only new console on the block. They had a year head start by coming out first but and still couldn't sell. How are they going to sell after the PS4 and new Xbox come out?

None of the third party publishers are helping them out buy putting out quality games either. Right now the Wii U is about on par with the 360 and PS3 hardware wise. Even now that they can finally port games over with equivalent graphics none of the major third party publishers are doing it. It won't get better in that respect. Once Sony and Microsoft's new systems come out they will be at a significant power disadvantage again. There will be no simple ports over to Nintendo once the graphics gap is widened again. If third parties aren't willing to port games over now when it is relatively easy they aren't going to do it when they have to do a bunch of extra work to make a special Wii U version.

By making these underpowered systems twice in a row they are basically asking developers to make games specifically for them that can't translate over to the other systems. Even worse they are asking third parties to put a bunch of money into games that have to be Nintendo exclusives when no one owns a Wii U to buy them.

If they want to stay in the home console hardware market they basically have two options and I don't think either of them are good.

One option is to ride out the next 7 or 8 years of this console generation relying solely on first party games. How many first party games can they put out a year? I would guess 3 or 4 at the most. Are they going to release a Mario and Zelda game every single year? How long are the Nintendo fans going to stay interested when there are only a handful of games released a year and all of them are the same franchises released over and over again. If they went with this option I would argue that they wouldn't have enough fans left by the time the next console generation starts to release another console.

Another option is to just give up on the Wii U and start designing a new console that has enough power to match the PS4 and new Xbox immediately. They could put it out in a year or two and hope that 3rd parties start porting their multi-platform games over to Nintendo again. That would make for a very short life for the Wii U and their hardcore fans that actually bought one probably wouldn't be very happy. Even if they did this gamers might not come back to them. By that point the gamers who want the big 3rd party games will already have a PS4 or Xbox that can play them.

I think both of those options suck. Their lack of sales shows that there aren't enough people who want a console just for Nintendo first party games. I think they will try to just ride out the next few years and the start publishing their Mario and Zelda games on Playstation and Xbox because their wont be enough demand for a new console.

Of course, all if this is just my opinion. You might be able to bring this up in a few years and say I told you so. Only time will tell.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

What's happening to Nintendo is indicative of console gaming nowadays. The gaming market, especially the console market, is PRIMED for another crash. Game budgets and time have ballooned to such insane amounts that games need insane returns in order to achieve sales goals. Did you know Square Enix expected/hoped the new Tomb Raider would sell between 5-6 million in the first month? Eventually it's going to get to the point where these publishers decide that making console games just isn't profitable and we're going to see a massive collapse unless the business changes how it does things. And to go back to the Wii U thing, it's a fire burning on both ends. Publishers don't want to make games for it because no one has it, and no one has it because there's no games for it. Even the ported games haven't done well. Until the Wii U has a must have game, no one is going to care. Honestly even if the Wii U cost $100 I wouldn't want it with the games out for it. And I still haven't unpacked my original Wii from when I moved back in late October.

What's happening to Nintendo is indicative of console gaming nowadays. The gaming market, especially the console market, is PRIMED for another crash. Game budgets and time have ballooned to such insane amounts that games need insane returns in order to achieve sales goals. Did you know Square Enix expected/hoped the new Tomb Raider would sell between 5-6 million in the first month? Eventually it's going to get to the point where these publishers decide that making console games just isn't profitable and we're going to see a massive collapse unless the business changes how it does things.

I think this is somewhat overplayed. I don't think Square is representative of the entire market. Bioshock Infinite sold 3.7 million copies in the first month and 2K was happy with that. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/13/bioshock-infinite-has-shipped-37-million-copies This is a game that was in development for about 5 years. Square has made some terrible decisions with their Eastern games for years now and unrealistically expected a couple Western releases to bail all of that out this year.

Microsoft just released a bunch of numbers on the industry as a whole. I was listening to the Major Nelson podcast this morning and they happened to have a Microsoft exec on the show to read off the numbers. The games industry revenue and profit are both increasing at a rate higher than any other form of entertainment. They said we are now in the 7th console generation and each one has seen an increase in consoles sold. This generation had a 50% console sale increase over the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube generation and that increase has been pretty consistent from generation to generation. Game profit across the industry is up 7.9% this year over last year while movies and tv are only up about 1.9%. About 49% of game sales profit came from home consoles, 19% from PC, and I don't remember the numbers but the remainder was divided between handheld consoles, mobile, and social games.

I know some parts of the industry have struggled, namely THQ, Square, and Nintendo, but the industry as a whole is still growing. Technology is getting better and this is allowing game developers to make more ambitious big budget games. That is great for gamers. The problem is that when the budgets are huge a game that flops hurts a publisher a lot more than it did last gen. String a few flops together and suddenly you're bankrupt like THQ.

There are problems with this type of system. The biggest one I can think of is that companies will be less willing to take risks. This gen we saw everyone try to make a Call of Duty clone. Who knows what will be the safe bet next gen. There are always indie games for people who want something different but I don't think big budget AAA gaming is going anywhere.

Last edited:
Honestly it's more common than you think. Square Enix, Capcom, and EA are just some of the companies that have horrible business practices that are expecting insane returns. I'm not saying that we're on a one way track to a collapse similar to the crash of 1983, but the way things are going, the best case scenario is that no other companies fold. I'm not saying that AAA games are going away, but we're heading into a market where console game development is getting exceedingly expensive, the stakes are higher than ever, there's little room for variety outside of the indie market due to potential risks of lost sales, and the systems they're on are so homogeneous that one doesn't have much of an advantage over the other other than exclusive games (although that will be clarified after the Xbox unveiling.)

This video puts things in perspective a bit (NSFW due to language, fast forward to 1:08 to start good stuff) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7121-Dark-Souls-and-Dark-Sales

Last edited:
Wii U is it's own special kind of steaming pile, they've had over a year (along with the Vita) to build a customer base and failed, aside from the points being made (some I agree with, others not as much) it's also not worth it for few if any publishers to make and support their titles available for 5-6 platforms. I don't think their failure is indicative of the market at all, outside of the $350 price point on hardware that could have probably been released when the Wii was aside from the tablet controller. Nintendo has opted to go their own way yet again and have found a dead end this time.

I honestly wish Nintendo would bow out of the hardware side of things and develop games only. They have great game franchises that I'd love to see on Xbox or ps3.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Exactly. Playing Zelda on my PS3 would be awesome. The graphics would be awesome, and so would the story and gameplay. Not to mention another Super Smash Bros. that would blow Playstation Allstars out of the water.:D

My neighbor has one and my 11 yr old has been over a couple of time playing. You know what that leads to.... I may consider selling our Wii, and grabbing a Wii U, if there's a price drop in the near future.

Last edited:
My neighbor has one and my 11 yr old has been over a couple of time playing. You know what that leads to.... I may consider selling our Wii, and grabbing a Wii U, if there's a price drop in the near future.
Expect one once the new consoles are released.

Rumor is Nintendo is "recalling" all 8GB models from retailers? Maybe a price drop for the deluxe is coming soon…

It's crazy that 8Gb and 32GB were the options in a supposedly next gen console anyways. The industry is moving away from disks and towards downloaded games. More and more people are downloading their games every year. Even Xbox One's standard 500GB seems a little low to me for a system that requires all games to be stored on the hard drive whether you buy them in download or disk form. Yes you can delete and reinstall as many times as you want but that's not as convenient as just leaving them on the hard drive. If there is a 1TB option for my next gen console of choice that is what I will go with.

It's crazy that 8Gb and 32GB were the options in a supposedly next gen console anyways. The industry is moving away from disks and towards downloaded games. More and more people are downloading their games every year. Even Xbox One's standard 500GB seems a little low to me for a system that requires all games to be stored on the hard drive whether you buy them in download or disk form. Yes you can delete and reinstall as many times as you want but that's not as convenient as just leaving them on the hard drive. If there is a 1TB option for my next gen console of choice that is what I will go with.
Yeah but Nintendo did do right in one aspect by allowing you to add external storage for your stuff in the form of external hard drives (as opposed to just flash memory.) That way you weren't f-ed over like you were with the 360 where you had to get extremely overpriced proprietary storage.

Yeah but Nintendo did do right in one aspect by allowing you to add external storage for your stuff in the form of external hard drives (as opposed to just flash memory.) That way you weren't f-ed over like you were with the 360 where you had to get extremely overpriced proprietary storage.

True and it's great that they made that an option. Microsoft also learned from this and made it an Xbox One option as well. Still Nintendo has almost made it a requirement by going with such small storage options. I want the option to add my own storage but give me enough internal storage that I don't have too. It takes away from the sleekness of these consoles when you have to add a hard drive, power cord, and USB cable to your entertainment center. The Xbox One's 500GB is a little light for my tastes but I think I would rather delete and reinstall to stick with internal storage anyways. The great part is that both choices are viable options.

The Wii U is in severe need of a price drop. With the PS4 coming in at $400 the Wii U Deluxe is too close in price at $350. They are going to have an even harder time selling Wii U when you can get a much more powerful PS4 that actually gets third party support for only $50 more. If they really want to start moving units they are going to have to drop the deluxe to about $250 and get rid of the basic.

That will probably cause them to sell at a decent loss but the PS4 has to be selling at a pretty good loss too to fit all of that in there for $400. They need to bite the bullet and get those consoles in peoples homes. Then they can get some more third party support and make their money back in software sales.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)