Wii u

Looks like this will be under the tree this year for my youngest. Then sell the Wii.
Don't forget to set aside some time (a couple hours) to transfer all your stuff (purchases & game saves) from the wii to the wii-u. Seemed to take forever when I did that last year at Christmas.

So what are some recent thoughts on the Wii U? I have a 3 kids. 9, 7, 3 years old They play the 360 with Kinect and the wii. They enjoy the wii and I mainly play sports game with occasional FPS, but don't plan to stray from my 360 for that aspect. Everyone in the house enjoys mario and some of the upcoming games look fun.

I was looking at the new 32gb $299 Mario bundle and it comes with a $25 gift card at target. So net price $275 basically.

So what are some recent thoughts on the Wii U? I have a 3 kids. 9, 7, 3 years old They play the 360 with Kinect and the wii. They enjoy the wii and I mainly play sports game with occasional FPS, but don't plan to stray from my 360 for that aspect. Everyone in the house enjoys mario and some of the upcoming games look fun.

I was looking at the new 32gb $299 Mario bundle and it comes with a $25 gift card at target. So net price $275 basically.

No doubt the wii and the wiiu are great for kids.My biggest issue would be paying too much for one.As the sales continue to come in at a snails pace,they will have to lower the price pretty quick.

I'll bet you'll be able to get a bundle for $250 come the holiday season. Just be patient and keep your eye out. One good place is to follow (or just check up on) @videogamedeals on Twitter. About 90% of what I post in the deals forum comes from them.

I asked my youngest again. Surprisingly, he doesn't want a Wii U for christmas.

Last edited:
I asked my youngest gain. Surprisingly, he doesn't want a Wii U for christmas.
Not surprising to me. The Wii U is a nifty system, but other than Nintendo Exclusives there's really nothing that it has that other systems don't have (and often have better versions of, not to mention for multiplayer the player base is nothing compared to 360 and PS3.) It does have a great selection in the Virtual Console market, but that's also hard to justify considering they're older games and if you really want to play older games for cheap, you can just get a used PSP and mod it and then load up roms and emulators from the internet (not that I condone such behavior.)

What would the youngest age be that you guys would recommend for a Wii U?

What would the youngest age be that you guys would recommend for a Wii U?
I don't think you can really recommend it based on age. It depends what you want in a console. Heck you may be better off just getting a cheap/used tablet and having them use that instead of investing nearly $300 on a whole new console.

I'll bet you'll be able to get a bundle for $250 come the holiday season. Just be patient and keep your eye out. One good place is to follow (or just check up on) @videogamedeals on Twitter. About 90% of what I post in the deals forum comes from them.

I'm not a big Nintendo guy but even I would probably pick up the Mario or Wind Waker bundle if I saw it for that price. I'm more likely to pick up a 3DS bundle than Wii U though. The new Zelda 3DS game has me interested. The Zelda 3DS XL bundle is currently priced at $219.99 but if I see a better price I will likely pick it up.

This Luigi's Mansion blue 3DS bundle goes on sale on Black Friday for $169.99 too. I am tempted to pick up that one and just buy Zelda separately if they don't put the Zelda bundle on sale. I like the price and color of the Luigi bundle much better but I hear that the XL version is a much better device all around.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/25/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-getting-blue-3ds-bundle-this-week

One thing I like about the Wii U is the portable screen feature. As great as my TVs are (humble brag) the idea of being able to play Super Mario or other console games from the comfort of my bed is rather appealing, although I'm not sure it's even $250 appealing. $200 though then I'd be sold.

One thing I like about the Wii U is the portable screen feature. As great as my TVs are (humble brag) the idea of being able to play Super Mario or other console games from the comfort of my bed is rather appealing, although I'm not sure it's even $250 appealing. $200 though then I'd be sold.

I agree. I have been using remote play from the PS4 to the Vita constantly. I use it in bed, while I'm watching sports, and when I'm over at my parents house taking care of my dad.

Since the gamepad is a direct connection to the Wii U I'm curious what the range is like. Vita works over your LAN so anywhere you have a WiFi signal you can use remote play even if the PS4 is all the way across the house. I have a tri-level house. All my gaming systems are down in a finished basement and my bedroom is on the top floor directly above the TV. I wonder if the gamepad can stay connected between floors like that.

Since the gamepad is a direct connection to the Wii U I'm curious what the range is like. Vita works over your LAN so anywhere you have a WiFi signal you can use remote play even if the PS4 is all the way across the house. I have a tri-level house. All my gaming systems are down in a finished basement and my bedroom is on the top floor directly above the TV. I wonder if the gamepad can stay connected between floors like that.
Not as good. My gamepad loses connection when the kids take it to the other end of the house. Good for maybe the next room, but not much further.

Not as good. My gamepad loses connection when the kids take it to the other end of the house. Good for maybe the next room, but not much further.

That's too bad but It will still be nice to play on the couch while watching Redzone on Sundays.

It varies based on a number of factors, but yeah if I had to bet money I'd say there's a good chance you wouldn't be able to get that to work between floors like that.

I'm not a big Nintendo guy but even I would probably pick up the Mario or Wind Waker bundle if I saw it for that price. I'm more likely to pick up a 3DS bundle than Wii U though. The new Zelda 3DS game has me interested. The Zelda 3DS XL bundle is currently priced at $219.99 but if I see a better price I will likely pick it up.

This Luigi's Mansion blue 3DS bundle goes on sale on Black Friday for $169.99 too. I am tempted to pick up that one and just buy Zelda separately if they don't put the Zelda bundle on sale. I like the price and color of the Luigi bundle much better but I hear that the XL version is a much better device all around.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/25/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-getting-blue-3ds-bundle-this-week
Amazon had 3DS XL's on sale today as a lightning deal for $149.99. I'm pretty sure they sold out within 10 minutes, and the waitlists are full as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts