Will a DirecTV MultiSwitch work with FTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TGBlackheart

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Houston Tx
I have a guy trying to sell me that a Perfect Vision SAM-3402 DirecTV Multi-Switch can be used with Free-to-Air equipment.

He is also telling me that the same multi-switch can be used with Dish Network.

I was pretty sure that Dish Network and DirecTV multi-switches are not compatible but wasn't sure about FTA.

Is any of this true or is this seller trying to just screw me?

Thanks in advance :)

It might work but I would not recomend it, It will most likely use "Band Stacking" which would mess up all the frequencies from each input.

What I can recomend is to buy a Disec switch, they are cheap and what are most used with FTA equipment anyway.

[url=http://www.dbsinstall.com/Dish_network/dishnetwork_lnb-switch_tech.asp said:
DISH Network LNBs Legacy DishPro Plus[/url]]The Dish Pro (DP) LNB was created. Based on band stacking technology but enhanced with internal multi-sat capabilities, the DP LNB takes the odd and even transponders and brings them both to the receiver at the same time.

Instead of the receiver switching voltage to indicate which polarity was needed, the receiver had access to all transponders.

This had two advantages and one disadvantage.

The first advantage was the ability to split the signal to more then one receiver. If you had a need for 6 receivers to receive signals from one satellite, you could split the signal without the need of switches.

The second advantage was the removal of the voltage switching polarity control. The receivers supply a steady 19 volts when in DP mode. This allows for longer cable runs without the worry of voltage drop off.

The disadvantage was the use of a full 1000 MHz or 1 GHz of bandwidth. Coax cable which worked Ok for Legacy installations may not meet the needs of a DP installation.

The disadvantage will mess up all the frequencies for you.
Example if you find a transponder frequency on the internet of 11700, on your setup depending how the switch works it could be 10600.

a quick google shows me that is just a 3x4 multiswitch which will work PERFECT with free to air.

Dish Network switches won't work with FTA...period...they (Dish) uses something odd for switching

DirecTV switches WILL work. The 3x4 you posted above allows you to hook up to 4 receivers off a dual LNB (one LNB aimed at one satellite with 2 outputs). The third input is for an OTA antenna

The 4x4 allows you to hook 4 receivers to 2 LNB's and using the 22k switching in it.

At one time when I had the T90 dish up, I had 4 4x4 switches and 2 3x4 switches hooked up to various FTA satellites. Had 74, 79, 85, 89, 91, 93, 97, 101 on 4 4x4 switches and 123 on a 3x4 switch. Right now have my 4x4 multiswitch for G4 C-Band and G10 KU. Hook 4 recievers and only need one switch :) Its even in my sig
6 foot C-Band dish with GeoSatPro C-Band dual aimed at G16, 2nd LNB at AMC1, 36" GeoSatPro dish at G10 ....Fortec Ultra, Pansat 1500, Viacast 2000 and analog box on 4x4 multiswitch

qwert1515 said:
What I can recomend is to buy a Disec switch, they are cheap and what are most used with FTA equipment anyway.
not when you have an old Primestar dish with the 2 separate outputs (one for V and one for H). Those 3x4 switches are a savior for those :)

I am using a SAM3402 Perfect vision switch, and it works fine, had it about a year now.
Its a 3x4 switch, and I paid for mine prob twice because of where I got it (Now I know better haha)
It may work with Directv-I have heard old DTV switches can be used for fta, suppose they will if they are these 3402s.
Don't think dishnetwork receivers will recognize that particular switch though.
Hey shop around for that perfect vision switch, they're sold all over the place, and from 8bucks to about 30, so don't get robbed!

Ice has beaten me by one minute!!!HAHA

Last edited:
I have a guy trying to sell me that a Perfect Vision SAM-3402 DirecTV Multi-Switch can be used with Free-to-Air equipment.
I just looked it up on Google. $6 shipped by the first eBay link I found.
It's a 2x4 voltage controlled switch, intended to expand ONE LNB to four receivers.
...and the 3rd input is for your outdoor TV antenna.

The only use it has for FTA, is if you have an old Primestar dish where the LNB has separate H and V outputs.
This will combine them.
I see no other use for FTA.

He is also telling me that the same multi-switch can be used with Dish Network.
He's full of @#%&
. . . unless you know someone who subscribes to ONE Dish satellite . . . :rolleyes:
I was pretty sure that Dish Network and DirecTV multi-switches are not compatible but wasn't sure about FTA.
Dish and DirecTv switches are not interchangable.
Whether or how they might be used for legitimate FTA uses, can't be blindly characterized.
Ya have to deal with it on a case-by-case-basis.
Sometimes they are useful for FTA.
Is any of this true or is this seller trying to just screw me?

Thanks in advance :)
I'd like to think he's just misinformed... or possibly stupid.
Okay, maybe he's out to screw you. Who can be sure? :cool:
At any rate, $6 for someone who needs this switch, is not bad.
I just don't think you can use it.
....hrmmmm. You didn't exactly say what you were looking for . . .

edit:
#$%& - I spent too much time prepping my post and got outgunned by two others.
Will have to be less wordy in the future. Yea, like that's gonna happen. :)

I have something similar I plan on doing. I wanna give grandma a feed of the fixed dishes on Equity and White Springs. This little 3X4 should work great because Equity is Vertical and White Springs is Horiztontal. Then, just take on the outputs as needed.

Example:

G10 for V, G27 for H into multiswitch, then one output goes to grandma's receiver.

Next step gets tricky. Will grandma's receiver dictate between Equity and White Springs based on polarity?? I hope that would be the case.

yes it will

searched and found the old thread I had where I combined the H side of G4 C-Band and G10. The box will distinguish between them
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/63099-do-you-think-possible.html

Right now I have a 4x4 switch set up
both ports of 0k side are G4 C-band
H side of 22K is 103 C-Band
V side of 22k is G10 KU

works fine (see signature)

set it up as you would anything else. LNB LO. Leave diseqc off. When the box sends 13v it will go to the G10 LNB and 18v would go to H side and White Springs

2 x 4 (or 3 x 4) multiswitches, in addition to combining separate H and V outputs from a LNB, can also be used to feed up to four receivers/PCI cards from a dual output LNB(F).

If your imaginative there are all sorts of ways you can use the directv multiswitches. For example , on a large dish someone might use a bullseye type feedhorn (dual C dual Ku) along with a 4x4 multiswitch to allow upto 4 different receivers, or combination of receivers and devices (such as spectrum analyzers, dvb cards, etc.) to have access to both C and Ku band through 22khz switching and both polarities through 13/18v switching.

Status
Please reply by conversation.