Will there be surprises in Mitchell's report today?

I have ANOTHER problem I have.....isn't this Mitchell character on the Board of Directors or something like that on the Boston Red Rox??!! Did you notice HOW MANY Yankees were on the list and how many Red Sox were NOT on the list??!! Now before ANYONE starts thinking I am a hater of the Red Sox and Lover of the Yankees....everyone here that knows my posts KNOW I hate them BOTH equally bad....but I find that there a little possible conflict of interest there....
That is because the guys that talked were clubhouse guys and trainers for the Mets and Yankees. The other guys kept their mouths shut.

I just heard in our local Sports Radio, that the Red Sox's scouts knew about Greg Gagne doing steroids and the report to Theo Epstein was that he was not a good pitcher if he wasn't using steroids yet they traded for him. Why isn't this information in the report?

Didn't Eric Gagne play for the Red Sox last year? Maybe, just maybe, they don't use steroids. A better scenario would be that the players were a bit sneakier.

The report seems to show that specific clubhouses created the problem and as the invidual abusers were traded or signed elsewhere, they spread this problem into other clubhouses. For example, you don't see a connection between the A's and the Red Sox. You do however see a connection with the A's and Bluejays(Canseco), Yankees (Giambi, Clemons from Bluejays), and Baltimore(Tejada). Just an opinion.
That is because they only got certain guys to talk and that happen to be two in NY.

I just heard in our local Sports Radio, that the Red Sox's scouts knew about Greg Gagne doing steroids and the report to Theo Epstein was that he was not a good pitcher if he wasn't using steroids yet they traded for him. Why isn't this information in the report?

maybe mitchell doesn't lsiten to taht station.

Or maybe they had insufficient evidence to include it. We don't know why. We don't even know if such a report to Epstein exists. but whatever Gagne was on the second half of last season it did not work very well.

This report was just the tip of the iceberg. If Mitchell had power of subpeona, this would have been even bigger. Most telling was the fact that 68 (? Not sure of the number) players declined an interview with him. It's time for blood testing, I'm having a hard time understanding why the players union is objecting to this. If only 5- 7 % of the players are guilty, why aren't the other 90+% over- riding this. This report has cast doubt over all the players, and you would think that the honest players would want to clear their names, and the game. I know I would. The funniest player in this is now Clemens - he's proclaiming his innocence now - why didn't he meet with Mitchell when he had the chance? I'm waiting to see what MLB does to clear the stink. A very black day for baseball indeed if they don't act to clean the game up NOW.

This report was just the tip of the iceberg. If Mitchell had power of subpeona, this would have been even bigger. Most telling was the fact that 68 (? Not sure of the number) players declined an interview with him. It's time for blood testing, I'm having a hard time understanding why the players union is objecting to this. If only 5- 7 % of the players are guilty, why aren't the other 90+% over- riding this. This report has cast doubt over all the players, and you would think that the honest players would want to clear their names, and the game. I know I would. The funniest player in this is now Clemens - he's proclaiming his innocence now - why didn't he meet with Mitchell when he had the chance? I'm waiting to see what MLB does to clear the stink. A very black day for baseball indeed if they don't act to clean the game up NOW.

Agreed 100%. :up

One more comment for now - Some of you guys NEED TO READ THE REPORT! I couldn't believe some of the assinine comments I read. I was tempted to answer some of them individually, but that would have just stirred the hornets nest even more, and I've got better things to do then waste time arguing with people going off half-cocked. You know who you are.

I never disagreed with that concept. My problem with the report is that it's being considered as the "consummate" report on steroids in baseball; and it's not. For 55 million dollars you would think that Mitchell could come up with more than this shell game of a report. It's a farce. If you're buying into it, that's your problem. The people named in the report should be dealt with in appropriate fashion. I am still of the belief that this is a collusive effort by MLB and Mitchell to do their best to sweep the issue under the rug without destroying the game. They named enough big names to try to convince people that the report is valid. I've taken hundreds of depositions and examined thousands of cases over the last couple decades and I'll tell you, this smells of inadequacy and deception. I agree that those named should face the consequences, but this farce of a report isn't even the "tip" of the iceberg and MLB and Mitchell damn well know it.

Boo Hoo. Still doesnt make those named innocent. Want to have another investigation? fine. have it. After you expell these players first. :rolleyes:

One more question - When did it become OK to cheat?
I've loved baseball for as long as I can remember, but now I can't watch without wondering whether anything I'm watching anymore is real or "juiced". I've marveled at the seasons and accomplishments of these players, and now it's all a lie. Say it isn't so, guys. (They can't). This is so sad.

I share in your sadness. It's really a lesson to all of us, to be careful who you place on a pedestal. Cheating has been going on since the beginning of time. Some people feel compelled to gain an advantage over others to they can revel in the limelight if but just for a fleeting moment. Look at Norm Cash's admitted use of a corked bat in 1961; Gaylord Perry's spitters; the use of bennies in the 30's on up; the many pine tar incidents. Even kids ... remember the Little League World Series and the pitcher who was a couple years too old to play? How about Marian Jones and her fake olympic glory?

It's time for people to re-examine their heroes and their priorities. Start looking at the real heroes in the world. The people inventing miraculous devices for the benefit of the world, or those discovering medical cures .... or better yet, Moms and Dads who raise good families with moralistic ideals as the base for the future.

I'll always love sports and will always follow sporting events. But, the shine is no longer on the apple. Just like special effects in movies nowadays. You just don't know if it's real or fake anymore. The thrill is gone .....

One more question - When did it become OK to cheat?
I've loved baseball for as long as I can remember, but now I can't watch without wondering whether anything I'm watching anymore is real or "juiced". I've marveled at the seasons and accomplishments of these players, and now it's all a lie. Say it isn't so, guys. (They can't). This is so sad.

IMHO I feel that the report is nothing more than a modern day McCarthyism....or should I call it "Mitchellism"?

Granted the people caught from Balco and and the internet pharmacy of HGH can be linked back to the players who used their own names, addresses and personal checks to buy banned substances, should be in the report and banned from baseball indefinitely.

But the snitches in NY who named players are just people who got caught breaking the law and making a deal to get out of jail.

Now I'm not saying that these guys are innocent by any means, but I feel you need actual proof to ruin someones credibility, it's all he-said he-said,except for Rafael Palmeiro not one of those players ever been tested positive for steroids.

If they have actual proof, then I will say ban them all, all players who use steroids deserve a worse fate than Pete Rose, but there should be proof, not just snitches.

I have ANOTHER problem I have.....isn't this Mitchell character on the Board of Directors or something like that on the Boston Red Rox??!! Did you notice HOW MANY Yankees were on the list and how many Red Sox were NOT on the list??!! Now before ANYONE starts thinking I am a hater of the Red Sox and Lover of the Yankees....everyone here that knows my posts KNOW I hate them BOTH equally bad....but I find that there a little possible conflict of interest there....
:up:up:up

This thread is joke.

Some people in the middle of the thread start spouting off names that arent in the report. MSNBC posts a list that has players not in the report.

Then people whine about Yankees people in the report but not Red Sox players.

You all are missing the point!

The players mentioned are mentioned because of their connections with certain clubhouses. The McNamee guy, The Radomski guy, The balco guy all supplied to certain people within their sphere of influence.

If you sit and think that those players named are the only players that took steroids you're fooling yourselves.

Im a Sox fan and if you think the Sox look good in this report youre nuts.

Read the excerpt below from the report and see for yourself.

When the Boston Red Sox were considering acquiring Gagné, a Red Sox official
made specific inquiries about Gagné’s possible use of steroids. In a November 1, 2006 email to
a Red Sox scout, general manager Theo Epstein asked, “Have you done any digging on Gagne?
I know the Dodgers think he was a steroid guy. Maybe so. What do you hear on his
medical?”425 The scout, Mark Delpiano, responded,
Some digging on Gagne and steroids IS the issue. Has had a
checkered medical past throughout career including minor leagues.
Lacks the poise and commitment to stay healthy, maintain body
and re invent self. What made him a tenacious closer was the max
effort plus stuff . . . Mentality without the plus weapons and
without steroid help probably creates a large risk in bounce back
durability and ability to throw average while allowing the changeup
to play as it once did . . . Personally, durability (or lack of) will
follow Gagne . . .426
In order to provide Gagné with information about these allegations and to give
him an opportunity to respond, I asked him to meet with me; he declined.

You think that makes the Sox look good?

Merker, Gagne, Vaughn, Clemens, Canseco, Donnels, Donnelly and a host of other players on the list all played for the Sox. You think those players only used steroids while playing for someone else? When they played for the Sox they magically stopped their use?

The only reason more current players on everyones roster werent named is because they dont have the sources in those cities.

This isnt a negative Yankee report, Its a negative baseball report.

They all did it! (ok not all but you get my point)

Last edited:
This thread is joke.

Some clowns in the middle of the thread start spouting off names that arent in the report. MSNBC posts a list that has players not in the report.

The players mentioned are mentioned because of their connections with certain clubhouses. The McNamee guy, The Radomski guy, The balco guy all supplied to certain people within their sphere of influence.

If you sit and think that those players named are the only players that took steroids you're fooling yourselves.

made specific inquiries about Gagné’s possible use of steroids. In a November 1, 2006 email to
a Red Sox scout, general manager Theo Epstein asked, “Have you done any digging on Gagne?
I know the Dodgers think he was a steroid guy. Maybe so. What do you hear on his
follow Gagne . . .426

Merker, Gagne, Vaughn, Clemens, Canseco, Donnels, Donnelly and a host of other players on the list all played for the Sox. You think those players only used steroids while playing for someone else? When they played for the Sox they magically stopped their use?

The only reason more current players on everyones roster werent named is because they dont have the sources in those cities.

Well said, yet again. I take back all of the bad things I said about you before... ;)

First of all nobody here's a clown (I thought one of the rules for this forum was no name calling). Read the title of the thread, "Will there be surprises in Mitchell's report today?", so names for players who we "thought" could be on the list were mentioned.

Second of all, everyone in the thread agrees that the report is not complete and the names mentioned in the report are there because one of the sources interviewed is from New York. So nobody is missing the point, we all understand that the problem is widespread.

As far as Red Sox players not being mentioned, well Mitchell is on their board so even if they had evidence against Red Sox players they were not gonna be mentioned.

Why is it I think back to the coach in movie Blue Chips. When he gets up and speaks to the media and decides to come clean.

It seems every sport is having its "Blue Chip" moment now. A cleansing as you will.

But until there is a urine test for HGH there will be an asterisk alongside every great fete from now on.

I remember how I felt bad for Matt Williams, he looked like an every day guy who put up great numbers. I felt bad how Barry, McGuire, and Sosa stole the thunder from him. After all he was "clean"

I look at Pujols now. Who supposedly is a "clean" guy. However there are rumblings that his trainer in HS is a steroid supply guy. Is he "clean"?

My childhood idol was Clemens. I was a pitcher growing up. I was from just north of Boston and loved the guy. I remember pitching when I was 16 and a local reporter said I had a "Clemens like performance" I didnt throw hard, just kept retiring hitters in a complete game) I thought that was awesome. My friends all busted my you know what about it.

No Im not saying I coulda been the next MLB pitcher if I had taken steroids...heck I wasnt good enough to pitch past the age of 16, but, whats sad is I dont look at Clemens the same now.

I dont look at any athlete the same now. Whether its Baseball, Football. Golf (there are allegations there) how do you look at them and not wonder is that guy taking roids?

Im not naieve either, you think NHL and NBA players are taking them? Think again.

The Mitchell report was just a snippett from society looking behind the curtain. Unfortunately we dont like what we have found.

Its a shame that the next time a guy has a "breat out season," challenges a record, or has a great performance it wont just be that. There will be that question of "ya think that guy is on the juice?" running through my brain.

This thread is joke.

Some clowns in the middle of the thread start spouting off names that arent in the report. MSNBC posts a list that has players not in the report.

follow Gagne . . .426

You are right execpt where you call people here clowns....:mad:

This thread is joke.

follow Gagne . . .426

Yada yada yada. I dont care who was in the report or what team they are from. Give them the baseball death penalty. Clean this crap up and get the integrity of the game back. And afterwards have another investigation until its clean.

First of all nobody here's a clown (I thought one of the rules for this forum was no name calling). Read the title of the thread, "Will there be surprises in Mitchell's report today?", so names for players who we "thought" could be on the list were mentioned.

Second of all, everyone in the thread agrees that the report is not complete and the names mentioned in the report are there because one of the sources interviewed is from New York. So nobody is missing the point, we all understand that the problem is widespread.

As far as Red Sox players not being mentioned, well Mitchell is on their board so even if they had evidence against Red Sox players they were not gonna be mentioned.

I changed the name. I find it odd that if I call someone a name for slandering people, Im the bad guy.

Randall, Red Sox players were mentioned, and a Sox executive was called out as for his knowledge about players and steroids.

You make statements as if they were fact. You state that Mithchell is on the Sox board so they were not gonna be mentioned.

Thats your OPINION thats not a fact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)