Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

I ordered this morning once I got to work. Quite a delay. Won't be delivered until "as late as December 5".

I bet it actually arrives quite a bit quicker than that. This is the reason I set my alarm for 3:00am though. It seems crazy to set an alarm to buy something in the middle of the night but I would rather miss out on a half hour of sleep than wait a month or more to get a new phone. I have been waiting on this for quite a while now since I'm still using an iPhone 6 and the urgency only grew a month or two back when I dropped the phone and cracked the screen. I can't wait to retire this thing.

I bet it actually arrives quite a bit quicker than that. This is the reason I set my alarm for 3:00am though. It seems crazy to set an alarm to buy something in the middle of the night but I would rather miss out on a half hour of sleep than wait a month or more to get a new phone. I have been waiting on this for quite a while now since I'm still using an iPhone 6 and the urgency only grew a month or two back when I dropped the phone and cracked the screen. I can't wait to retire this thing.
I hear ya. It just wasn't worth it to me. I agree that it will probably be sooner. They are creating fake demand by pretending that the stock is that low.

Verizon has brought back their 'enticements' for the 8 and 8+ - $300 trade-in (select phones) but requires you to switch to unlimited data. Not happening here.... I've been checking my upgrade options with them almost daily and I'm confident this started today since the X isn't available at this point (not counting waiting weeks for it at this point).

Three VZW phone reps have suggested I hold out until Black Friday for deals they will offer then. They don't know what they'll be but are basing it on what was done in years past. We'll see.

the $300 trade in works for the X on Verizon as well. This was actually announced several days ago. However, I'm in the same camp as you, I am not going to the unlimited plan. The reason that I'm not is that my corporate discount doesn't work on the unlimited plan so my monthly cost goes up considerably from the 8GB data plan. So in the rare months that I go over a GB or two I still save money from the unlimited.

I wonder if AT&T is going to match the trade-in offer?
Currently they won't even give me $200 for my 6s.

Finally Apple reconnected with AT&T and has approved my order! I am given Nov 17-24 time frame. Not Day One, but good enough for me.

Of course, now that the new iPhones are available for purchase, my iPhone 6 "seems" to be dragging its heels when I go to take pictures or send an iMessage. The "Steve Jobs Distortion Perception Filters" are still going strong, I guess...

Must be patient for now.

My 6+ is fast as usual. I just added a few more apps for Credit Karma and Lifelock due to my recent SSN security breach. Camera still working fine for what I use it for. Then I just transfer them to my PC for archive if needed for a project using "Transfer it!" Very fast. I also added USA Maps for Co Pilot and North America Maps for TomTom for offline navigation backup. With all that and my library from Audible, I have 88GB used of the 128GB iphone. If I had planned on getting the X, it would have had to be the 256GB model. Much of what I do can't depend on icloud, so paying up front for storage is a requirement.

I'm currently looking for an offline GPS ocean mapping app to track cruise ship location while at sea. So far everything I have seen requires LTE to work.

BTW- Verizon has offered $200 off on the 6+ as trade up to the X, but I'll pass. They actually called me and left a VM plus a half dozen emails and a couple text messages. Used 6+ must be in demand at good markup from $200????

I'd give my 6+ to my MiL before I'd take a $200 trade in.

BTW, Norton offered me a free Lifelock check for breach. I put in my three email addresses. No breach found.

Reactions: TheForce
Just received the iPhone X leather case from Apple, which I ordered on Friday. It looks similar to the leather case I have on my 6s. Just a little bigger in all three dimensions. In fact, the 6s with its leather case fits tightly inside the new X case. One minor difference: it seems to have plastic button covers on the sides.

iPhoneXCase1.jpg
iPhoneXCase2.jpg

I like the size! I didn't want to go all the way to Plus sizes, but I think I will appreciate the bigger screen of the X, which should make it easier to read on the phone.

Just received the iPhone X leather case from Apple, which I ordered on Friday. It looks similar to the leather case I have on my 6s. Just a little bigger in all three dimensions. In fact, the 6s with its leather case fits tightly inside the new X case. One minor difference: it seems to have plastic button covers on the sides.

View attachment 129068 View attachment 129069

I like the size! I didn't want to go all the way to Plus sizes, but I think I will appreciate the bigger screen of the X, which should make it easier to read on the phone.

Never been a fan of apple cases, the bottom is literally exposed for scratches...other brands put Apple cases to shame :/

Reactions: TheForce
I haven’t gotten much time in with my iPhone X yet but I’m impressed with Face ID so far. It seems to be instant and it has worked every time for me so far. As someone who had issues with Touch ID not recognizing me pretty regularly on my iPhone 6 this is a much faster way to unlock my phone. Hopefully that holds true after more time with the phone.

I do have to say that it’s a little disappointing how many apps I use haven’t received updates for the X yet but I’m sure that will be coming over the next few weeks for most of them. The apps that haven’t been updated yet make it look like I’m still using my iPhone 6 with the top and bottom having big black bars.

There are a couple other quirks that I will either get used to or find a way to change in settings. First it no longer tells me when I am on WiFi calling unless the phone is locked. My carrier name used to change from Verizon to VZW WiFi on my iPhone 6. On the X the carrier name is not displayed so that doesn’t happen. Unlike the early days my phone always switches to WiFi calling when I’m home now so this isn’t a huge issue but I would still like it to display during calls.

Because of the limited display area It doesn’t show my battery percentage next to the battery icon or the symbol that lets me quickly double check that my alarm clock is set either. The Bluetooth icon is also gone but it was pretty much useless because my phone was always connected to my Fitbit anyways.

Edit: I just found out that if you swipe down from the icons in the top right corner the full top bar from older iPhones will show up. This solves some of the issues for me.

First it no longer tells me when I am on WiFi calling unless the phone is locked. My carrier name used to change from Verizon to VZW WiFi on my iPhone 6. On the X the carrier name is not displayed so that doesn’t happen. Unlike the early days my phone always switches to WiFi calling when I’m home now so this isn’t a huge issue but I would still like it to display during calls.

Because of the limited display area It doesn’t show my battery percentage next to the battery icon or the symbol that lets me quickly double check that my alarm clock is set either. The Bluetooth icon is also gone...
Don't go over to a site like MacRumors and say those things. You'll be cast out as a "whining", complaining about "real-world problems", and so on. Over there, they're the epitome of the Samsung commercial that mocked Apple fanboys with the "this is so cool, they moved the headphone jack to the bottom".

Don't go over to a site like MacRumors and say those things. You'll be cast out as a "whining", complaining about "real-world problems", and so on. Over there, they're the epitome of the Samsung commercial that mocked Apple fanboys with the "this is so cool, they moved the headphone jack to the bottom".

Moving the headphone jack to the bottom was great because I always put my phone in my pocket top first. Having it on the bottom made cord management much easier.

After seeing the latest Thor movie this morning, I stopped by our local Apple store and played around with the “X” for several minutes. It definitely has a solid feel to it, no doubt due to the stainless steel band and glass back. The screen looks great, and I see how people with theirs are saying you stop noticing The Notch after a few minutes. Of course, as soon as I brought up a trailer or two it was pretty obvious.

The FaceID training went well but I think I still like the TouchID. No home button meant gestures are changed to fit this new paradigm. I’m still trying to remember how to bring up the Control Center.

Of course I had to try out the Animoji and I had Foxbat coming to life. I couldn’t come up with a quick manner to record my talking head so you’ll have to imagine what I came up with.

I was able to grab a screen shot from the front camera using one of the demo artistic photo apps. It shows the new screen’s aspect ratio (1:2.165) which takes some getting used to. Notice the notch is not included in a screen shot:
Image1509830691.174803.jpg

I don’t really notice the notch at all when using the phone like I normally would. I notice it when I look for information in the top bar and see much less than I’m used to unless I drag down from the top right corner.

I don’t watch a lot of video on my phone but I have tested with YouTube and the notch isn’t really noticeable there either. They simply fill in space with black bars to make it 16x9. Because the phone has an HDR OLED screen the phone basically looks identical to my iPhone 6 when this happens. I can’t tell I’m looking at a blackened area of the screen instead of the old bezel. This is also what happens in apps that haven’t been updated to use all of the available space on the X. Maybe the trailers app does this differently.

I’m with you on learning new gestures though. Most of them are straight forward enough but I’m still not sure how to force an app closed from the app switcher.

Don't go over to Appleinsider either. You will get called a liar or worse. Some really pathetic people there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts