Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

Well that was quick. After I got the notification that it was out for delivery, I got a text from my wife 20 seconds later that said my phone had been delivered at home. Sweet!

I hope it doesn’t require a signature. Mines out for delivery too but I’m working.

I ordered mine from Verizon instead of Apple but I can tell you that mine did require a signature. Luckily I knew that it would from ordering other phones from Verizon in the past so I had it shipped to my office. I'm not sure whether it requires a signature if you order directly from Apple.

I hope it doesn’t require a signature. Mines out for delivery too but I’m working.
It said that it required signature, but it would have mattered for me. My UPS guy will leave anything for me. He and I have discussed previously and my house is not visible from the street so he is cool with it.

So the 4K videos are being shown at 1080 resolution then. That would explain that. :)

BTW the Apple TV 4K does not support 4K from YouTube either.

So the 4K videos are being shown at 1080 resolution then. That would explain that. :)

BTW the Apple TV 4K does not support 4K from YouTube either.

I’m not sure what VP9 is but I can tell you that 4K YouTube videos on my iPhone X let me select 1440p as the highest quality setting. The phone doesn’t have a 4K screen so I guess it makes sense that YouTube wouldn’t stream video in 4K to it.

Reactions: Foxbat
Does the iPhone x support VP9 for 4K videos?
It does not. This came out in the Apple TV 4K discussions.
Apple Insider said:
Google's YouTube initially partnered with Apple to provide H.264 video content to iOS users. But the company has since tried to advance its own VP8 and VP9 codecs acquired from On2. While it continues to send H.264 video to iOS users, it is not publishing its higher resolution 4K YouTube content in H.264 or the new H.265/HEVC, which makes YouTube 4K unavailable to Safari users on the web.

This has also created the narrative that Apple TV 4K "can't play YouTube 4K content," when in reality it is Google that is refusing to provide the content Apple TV 4K is designed to decode. It remains to be seen how that will work out, and whether Google will also refuse to support 4K on iOS devices going forward.

Interesting. I know that my 4K content on YT can only play at 1080p in the iphone 6+ while on my Sony Xperia XZ Premium with a native 4K screen can play it all the way to 3840x2160p I thought it had to do with the phone. There are no 4K iphones anyway.

In that the Apple devices don't feature VP9 support while pretty much every other UHD platform does, I has everything to do with Apple not playing ball.

Fortunately, most other streaming services offer UHD in HEVC.

It’s fair to criticize Apple for not always getting on board with the standards everyone else uses. It sounds like Google might be doing the same thing here though if they are using their own codec when everyone else is using a different one.

It’s fair to criticize Apple for not always getting on board with the standards everyone else uses. It sounds like Google might be doing the same thing here though if they are using their own codec when everyone else is using a different one.
The deal with VP9 is that it is not encumbered by licensing. HEVC has several licensing situations going on. It also happens that quite a bit of the IP that goes into HEVC is based on Apple patents (39 of them) so it is Apple that is trying to line their pockets versus the royalty free VP9 technology.

It is important to understand as VP9 is incorporated into most web browsers with the exception of Internet Exploder and Safari.

I ordered mine from Verizon instead of Apple but I can tell you that mine did require a signature.
From past experience, Verizon used Fedex and did require a signature. They even say "adult signature required" but our under-18-year-old daughter signed for phones one time.

It said that it required signature, but it would have mattered for me. My UPS guy will leave anything for me. He and I have discussed previously and my house is not visible from the street so he is cool with it.
This is probably an unofficial policy but drivers have told me they can use their own "discretion" when it comes to leaving packages w/o signatures.

My first impressions about the iPhone X are pretty good! I like the size and the shape. I didn’t want to go with a Plus size, I think this one will be perfect for my needs.
The Face ID works great so far. Very quick! The phone is heavier than my old 6S, but not by much. The notch doesn’t bother me, as it’s on the status line and doesn’t interfere with the apps. Not sure yet how I feel about the missing home button, but using the new swipe gesture feels intuitive enough. I thing I will get used to it quickly.

I like how the settings transfer from the old phone to the new one was fully automated! It took awhile to upload all the apps, but that was expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts