Windows 10 installed

I do not know. After several days using edge to give it a fair shot, I have it as my default for now. It is very fast, and I have had no issues with the things I normally use a browser for, at least not yet.

Before this I used Chrome on my work pc and IE on my tablet. I have tried firefox before but was never all that impressed, or enough to swap to it anyway.

They all basically do the same thing. I originally switched to Firefox about 10 years ago because of all the reports about internet explorer not being very secure at the time. Internet Explorer was also the default browser and used by the vast majority of people on the internet back then so malware was designed specifically to attack that browser.

When Chrome came out I never really saw a need to switch because Firefox was working fine for me. Again, all of these browsers basically do the same thing and most add-ons are available for both Firefox and Chrome. I also figure I give enough of my information to Google by using Gmail as my personal email for the last 10 years or so.

Chrome, or any other new browser, would have to be markedly better than Firefox to cause me to switch. It's one of those if it aint broken why fix it scenarios. Admittedly, I don't have much experience with Chrome but they seem very similar from what I have seen. I do have Chrome installed on my desktop for the rare instance where something isn't working correctly in Firefox.

Edge is really good so far and has out perform the rest so far IE will not be around much longer so it will not matter Chrome was my second choice so I mainly use both. But I like what they have done with the Edge so far and there will be a update out again either this month or next to add some more features to it..

I have updated two laptops to Windows 10. The updates were seamless and uneventful. I have a ton of software installed on my primary laptop, so I was really nervous about the update. Surprisingly everything works fine after the update. No compatibility issues so far! I just need to get used to the new UI and the Edge browser, which shouldn't be too difficult: the new UI: is pretty intuitive.

On my ASUS tablet the update kept failing for some reason. So, I followed the recommendation found on the Internet:
Deleted everything in: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
And then ran admin command prompt in c:\windows\system32 and typed wuauclt.exe /updatenow
That helped! The tablet is now running Windows 10 too!
I too had to do that on one of my machines but had to add a registry key in the other to get windows update to work. Got it on both now. One is running great but the other is a bit sluggish.

I really don't know what to think of Edge. It renders pages pretty fast, and I have no problem with it, but I like Chrome so much for it's ability to be synced between all of my devices at home and work. I'm not big on browser extensions, just adds bloat to the browser, but there are 2 or 3 that I use, but could live without. Kind of funny how Edge just became official last week and we're already up to version 20.1. With Firebox on version 39 and Chrome on version 44 Microsoft is waaaaaaay behind. :rolleyes:

Over the weekend I am updating my work laptop to 10 and see how compatible it is with the software we use. I am a network admin, not a programmer or developer and have no clue whats involved with the backend of these things. Most of our programmers work at our headquarters overseas and in order to use some of the web based utilities that they've developed, Internet Explorer 10 or 11 is required. It's mostly in house propitiatory stuff, but our engineers use PTC Pro/Engineer and we use PTCs web based Windchill to share, view and organize drawings. Also Outlook's OWA seems to have some problems in Firefox and Chrome. A few of the shop foremen received Dell Venue Pro tablets to use on the shop floor, but I was not allowed to spend the extra cash for MS Office because they didn't need to create/edit documents, they just needed to view them, so Word and Excel Viewer did the trick. I told them they could get their email either via the Windows 8 Mail app or OWA, most wanted to use OWA to get as close to the full Outlook experience as possible, but switched to the Mail app when they ran into problems with using Chrome or Firefox.

I would really like to move the company to Windows 10, As long as everything works, I don't need approval from corporate. It's just me though, by myself in our US office as far as IT goes. I only manage about 175 workstations total (125 in the office, 50 out one the road for our sales and service reps), We have a lot of old hardware everything from business card scanners that aren't supposed to work on Windows 7 that I was able to get working in a round about way, to a microfilm scanner that has a SCSI interface that will not run on anything newer than 7. Plus I don't even want to think about all of our Zebra and Phoenix Contact label printers and the downright ancient HP DesignJet plotters the company refuses to part with. I could probably upgrade 90% of the computers to 10 and have no problems, but those remaining 10%, especially for the users in Engineering and Design, I really don't feel like dealing with that at the moment.

Reactions: Rey
Oh one more thing, this helped me out. Hopefully someone else finds it useful.

As I said in one of my previous posts, by boot up times slowed down dramatically especially on the Welcome screen with 10. My shut down times were a tad be slow as well but not that bad. I started looking at the Event Log, trying to clean up some reoccurring errors and found the same ones happening on both start up and shut down over and over and over. I had the same exact error mentioned in the link below and then a very similar one but pertaining to VMWare instead of One Drive. I made the change in the registry and bam! My shut down times are just as fast as they were in 8.1 and my Welcome screen only spins around four time now instead of twelve. And no more error for the one one related to One Drive, still get the VMWare one though.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-di...eeded.html?s=050386c1da3250a73bbe996e9e30f2bd

At work we tend to have a "tick-tock" approach to desktop OS from Microsoft. We had a mix of 95, 98, and NT, then skipped ME, went to 2000, then to XP, skipped Vista, to settle on 7. 8/8.1 was never officially supported, so it makes sense that we'll eventually get to supporting 10, especially since "it's the last version of Windows", or so I'm told.

I only manage about 175 workstations total (125 in the office, 50 out one the road for our sales and service reps)...
Keep in mind that "Volume License customers running Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise or volume license editions of Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8/8.1 Pro do not qualify for this offer". So, you may not receive the Windows 10 update automatically. However, you may still be entitled to it under your Software Assurance agreement with Microsoft.

We actually don't do any volume licencing. PC's are purchased from Dell directly on an as needed basis and are run until they die. All PCs ordered have their own Windows 7 Pro license (we also have a few 8.1 machines, plus the tablets) and we purchase the MS Office licence, if needed through Dell as well.

leave it to MS to screw this up. I have 2 onedrive folders now. One from the original skydrive.exe and a new one for onedrive.exe. My phone and desktop are syncing to the original skydrive, nothing I do gets the laptop to sync to anything. It just keeps saying it syncing 454kbs of 454kbs 3 files. Guess it's back to dropbox and googledrive

Upgraded my laptop to an SSD today and did a clean install of 10. I came across the same problems as I did with my desktop. Disappearing icons, windows that freeze up, having to restart Windows Explorer multiple times, slower than one would expect on start up and shut down. My desktop has come a long way in the past week, with very few issues lately. Hopefully the laptop is the same way, Two big problems though. Adobe Premier Pro crashes when launching it, and my Bluetooth mouse loses connection every 15-20 minutes. I either have to re-pair it, or power cycle the mouse.

Two down, two to go as far as upgrades are concerned.

Has any one figured out how to have different wallpapers on multiple monitors with 10? Everything that I've found pertains to the preview releases and is no longer valid.

Has any one figured out how to have different wallpapers on multiple monitors with 10?
Start>settings>system...display setup
Start>settings>personalization...background

or right click on a blank area of the desktop.
Mine works fine with multiple monitors........you may have to update the drivers for your video card.

Has any one figured out how to have different wallpapers on multiple monitors with 10?

Not sure why it's not enabled in the new Windows 10 Settings UI, but you can still use the old windows 8 UI for wallpaper configuration:

From Command prompt run "control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper"
and from there select a picture, right-click on it and you will see options: "Set for monitor 1" and "Set for monitor 2"
Worked for me!

Reactions: EarDemon
Not sure why it's not enabled in the new Windows 10 Settings UI, but you can still use the old windows 8 UI for wallpaper configuration:

From Command prompt run "control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper"
and from there select a picture, right-click on it and you will see options: "Set for monitor 1" and "Set for monitor 2"
Worked for me!

Thank you very much! That did the trick.

I really wonder about Microsoft sometimes, why in the hell would that be hidden. Just like control userpasswords2, why not put it the Control Panel. Why when you click on Browse in Personalization, are you not allowed to make multiple selections. But on a positive note, your post caused me to use Ctrl + V in the CMD prompt. :) About damn time that was enabled. I created shortcuts for that command on both computers I have upgraded since I tend to change my desktop wallpaper every few days and like that style MUCH better then the Metro 'Personalization' screen anyhow.

I don't suppose you've discovered any secret way to change the lock screen wallpaper if you have secure logon enabled in secpol.

No problem! :)

I am thrilled to see Ctrl-V working in CMD prompt! Always wanted that!

As for the Lock screen, does the Personalization > Lock screen not working for you?
Or is it something unique to your security policies settings?

I can change the Lock Screen Wallpaper to whatever I want if Secure Logon is disabled. With it enabled, no matter what wallpaper I select I end up with the picture that comes with Windows that looks like a beach scene taken from a cave with two rock formations in the center. Also with Secure Logon, lock screen notifications don't work, but do work with it disabled. Prior to one of the updates last week, the lock screen wallpaper was just a solid color that matched the color chosen in the Colors section of the Personalization screen.

Changing the value to Disabled for Interactive Logon: Do Not Require Ctrl Alt Del is the only thing I've changed in secpol from it's default.

Just updated my laptop. I think it's dying, so I thought I'd give it a shot. So far it seems pretty good. I kind of like Edge. Things just take a little getting used to. So far all of my programs work.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)