Windows 11

Standard Transmissions in a family car became a memory
I recently sold my old '82 RX-7 because it would no longer start and I didn't feel like spending the $ to get it running again. It was noisy as hell by then with aftermarket cats and muffler. I think the rubber bushings were also hardening and making that worse. I sold it to a tow-truck company for $730. They claimed somebody would buy it from them and restore it. So, other than me not getting $thousands for it, everybody did well on that transaction and my wife and daughter are off my back. My daughter wanted my garage parking slot for her new Toyota, but I was having none of that and put my 300 in there instead.
Since Windows 95 keeps coming up, who remembers the Weezer music video that was included on the install disk?
I thought I remembered that Weezer tune, but I'll be blessed if that's the song that is in my memory. I thought they had a female vocalist... Maybe there was another demo tune on the W95 distribution with a female vocalist.

Reactions: HipKat
What were the fails based on?
Fails included...

Boot Method
CPU compatibility
DirectX + WDDM2 support
Disk Partition Type
TPM Missing or Disabled.

These are basic Dell Machines (some HP) that were setup to handle Word, Excel and email. I have opened a few up and there is no TPM in the TPM header. Guess that was an option we didn't buy.

Reactions: HipKat
I recently sold my old '82 RX-7 because it would no longer start and I didn't feel like spending the $ to get it running again. It was noisy as hell by then with aftermarket cats and muffler. I think the rubber bushings were also hardening and making that worse. I sold it to a tow-truck company for $730. They claimed somebody would buy it from them and restore it. So, other than me not getting $thousands for it, everybody did well on that transaction and my wife and daughter are off my back. My daughter wanted my garage parking slot for her new Toyota, but I was having none of that and put my 300 in there instead.

I thought I remembered that Weezer tune, but I'll be blessed if that's the song that is in my memory. I thought they had a female vocalist... Maybe there was another demo tune on the W95 distribution with a female vocalist.
The Weezer song on Windows 95 was this one...

Not Windows 95, but at work we have a Windows 98 computer that is used on a regular basis. It's connected to a coordinate measuring machine via some proprietary cable that connected to a proprietary card. The software reads the coordinates, and plots them into an Excel 97 workbook. The thing cost $20 or 30K when it was brand new 20+ years ago, it would cost that to replace it today. It serves its purpose and there's no reason to replace it. Older hardware has value, especially when it comes to legacy hardware in industry. RS232 and PS2 keyboards/mice are big where I work.

My Start Menu looks exactly like it did on Windows 95, hopefully 11 doesn't break Open Shell.
W98 was W95 that stopped memory from leaking all over the place. Indeed, we do have a dinosaur at the office laying eggs in order to run a program here or there, and has the "serial port".

3.1, 98, 2k, XP, and 7 really did the job. I miss Windows 2000. That was compact and effective. These days, the OS keeps expanding and I'm not seeing why. I realize there are benefits between 7 and XP as that was the effective jump to 64 bit (the wall Vista crashed into), and the tech needed for super fast internet and wi-fi. But 7 to 11? What changed?

Reactions: TheKrell
Both my laptop and my desktop failed the Windows 11 test because of lack of secure boot.
I didn't even try it on my wife's Dell Optiplex 755 from 2006.
I found that I could install Windows 10 on almost any old hardware built after about 2003.
It looks like Microsoft got word from the PC makers that they were not selling enough new computers, so build us a version of Windows 10 that needs UEFI and the latest CPUs.

Both my laptop and my desktop failed the Windows 11 test because of lack of secure boot.
I didn't even try it on my wife's Dell Optiplex 755 from 2006.
I found that I could install Windows 10 on almost any old hardware built after about 2003.
It looks like Microsoft got word from the PC makers that they were not selling enough new computers, so build us a version of Windows 10 that needs UEFI and the latest CPUs.
Isn't there a legitimate argument for more secure infrastructure inside the computer based on the expansion of Ransomware attacks, which are occurring a lot more than people want to admit? This could actually be, if it worked at prohibiting many hacking methods, an actual viable improvement to a Windows OS!

Of course, if the work around just requires a tiny change, then *sigh*, but otherwise, our PC security is awful.

9 computers here in my house that are running Windowz 10 and not ONE of them will run Win 11 because the UEFI CRAP is missing?? And I have NO plan to buy any new hardware just to accommodate this requirement as long as Linux Mint Mate still works!!

So, I just opened the Windowz Insider Email notification I got on this last week and CLOSE MY WINDOWZ INSIDER ACCOUNT and when support stops in 2025 so will Windowz 10 cuz I'll just delete it since I hardly use it anyway! :deadhorse2

Just saying.................

Software is worthless without hardware.

Desktop PC architecture is still basically the same as it was in 1995 when I was building them in high school. We have faster processors now, solid-state hard drives, better peripherals, faster processors, faster data transfer; but a desktop computer is still basically designed to do the same thing it was back then. I fail to see how faster processors and better peripherals would better protect you from ransomware- except that it might allow your malware program or your antivirus program to run faster.

Now in our environment, we use a Cisco ASA, which is a very sophisticated piece of hardware, and it's only job is to protect us from external exploits. It doesn't run Windows, though ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell and FTA4PA
Now instead of a download for pchealthcheck it says 'coming soon'. :oldlaugh

Doubtful I would ever consider upgrading either of my machines.

Desktop PC architecture is still basically the same as it was in 1995 when I was building them in high school. We have faster processors now, solid-state hard drives, better peripherals, faster processors, faster data transfer; but a desktop computer is still basically designed to do the same thing it was back then. I fail to see how faster processors and better peripherals would better protect you from ransomware- except that it might allow your malware program or your antivirus program to run faster.

Now in our environment, we use a Cisco ASA, which is a very advanced piece of hardware, and it's only job is to protect us from external exploits. It doesn't run Windows, though ;)
Hardware can be vulnerable too. A few years ago that there was a vulnerability in x86, IBM Power processors and some ARM devices. Software exploytation is more common but certain hardware/firmware can be hacked.

I guess the level of developer previews I'm signed up for got its first release of Win 11 because my computer just spent almost 45 minutes installing it. Other than opening the start menu, I haven't played with anything yet and won't til tomorrow

1627695455390.png

Reactions: TheKrell
I have had it for a few weeks now on one machine. And honestly it feels like stepping back to Windows 8 again.

I like Windows 10 a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have had it for a few weeks now on one machine. And honestly it feels like stepping back to Windows 8 again.

I like Windows 10 a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
There are some things I like. Running Linux apps, for one and the adding of virtual desktops, plus I made my mouse bigger and a cool Tealish color

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm not a hacker, nor do I play one on TV, but I would tend to think most exploits are software-based, not hardware.
The magic of many of the newer exploits is that they use lower-level attacks right down to exploiting flaws in the CPU itself. There is even a documented hardware-based attack for Apple's relatively new M1 chip.

Other exploits are using support hardware like routers and security appliances to gain access.