Windows 11

Have you ever tried using GIMP instead of Adobe? It used to be Linux only but they have a Windows version now. I never used Photoshop but I hear that Gimp will do pretty much all of what Photoshop will do. Plus it's FREE! You can donate if you like the program.

GIMP
I have GIMP and Karita loaded on this win11 as one of the first options since discovering this new win11 machine won't load CS2. Initial look-see seems OK but I will need to dig into it as the locations and work flow on both are quite different from Photoshop. I tried to do a few simple tasks in GIMP and got stuck. I probably just need to focus on learning it once I get these other projects off my plate.

Photoshop is my mother tongue and I have been using it since before Adobe bought the company. I do pay the monthly subscription for Premiere Pro and use it for video editing often. I have several video editors but none are as robust and state of the art as Premiere Pro, especially for VR 3D support for the price. I have access to it on my Surface Pro and both windows computers.

Update- I finally figured out why I couldn't find the updated Bios cab file. I had to register my MB first after setting up an account. Then confirm it in email response with a new link. That opened up a new set of options including the files download page. I haven't tried it yet. Got sidetracked. I'll read your suggestion first.

Did the message in windows10 update and security settings that says the computer is not win11 compliant go away on yours?
I still get that message and no way to download the win11 install. Strange that PC Health says I am now ready. I'm in no hurry and may not even proceed other than do more reading.

I did discover another disadvantage to win11 that probably doesn't affect anyone else.

I have a licensed version of adobe Photoshop CS2 installed on the win10 computer. I also had it installed on my trashed computer replaced by this Dell 3020. Now CS2 will not install on the new win11 computer. I get to a fully visible PS screen and a popup says adobe can nolonger support this version of Creative Suite, please update. Then the update wants me to now pay $20.99 a month for software I originally paid $$$ for lifetime. I did some research into it and found out adobe decided to end their key server to verify license a few years ago so the CS2 can be used locally but can't be reinstalled on another newer computer. CS2 was able to be installed on several computers from the CDs. For my use, CS2 was good enough.
This SNAFU is enough reason for me to forget about following through with win11 upgrade on that machine. I'm not paying $20.99 a month for photoshop.
Yeah. I don't know about the latest tendency for cloud based subs. Or the monthly fees. Like MS Office 360 or whatever it is now. I use Office 2007 for Word and Excel and that's it. And I'm just fine with it too.
As far as graphics goes. I bought Corel Draw Suite 2007 outright back then. Because there are ways. Running version 12 right now and it lets me doodle all day long. I know this guy who knows a guy who could probably source a bit newer version of Photoshop. Gimp is ok. Just ok.

Reactions: Foxbat
TheForce, you might take a look at Serif Labs’ Affinity Suite. I installed their Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer apps on my Mac and I got my work to buy licenses for me and a few other coworkers. No subscription, just a one-time purchase, and a good value for the price. Affinity Photo also has an iPad app as well, but it works best with an Apple Pencil (or other compatible stylus).

I use Affinity Photo to massage photos and images for our internal Intranet site, at home to retouch photos from my iPhone and Canon EOS cameras. It does a lot more than I can use, but for $25 (special price when I bought it 5-6 years ago) it has been a great program.

Reactions: HipKat
I tried to do a few simple tasks in GIMP and got stuck. I probably just need to focus on learning it once I get these other projects off my plate.
Based on a later post it looks like you got what you needed from Etsy. If you ever get curious about GIMP again I recommend the following tutorial. My photo editing needs are very basic. I find that GIMP does what I need. But there is a learning curve.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6pXJ7Ijir0

Based on a later post it looks like you got what you needed from Etsy. If you ever get curious about GIMP again I recommend the following tutorial. My photo editing needs are very basic. I find that GIMP does what I need. But there is a learning curve.
Thanks. I'll check it out. Might learn something new. :)

I don't know about the latest tendency for cloud based subs. Or the monthly fees. Like MS Office 360 or whatever it is now. I use Office 2007 for Word and Excel and that's it. And I'm just fine with it too.
It is all about predictable revenue streams. Some of these products have reached a point where there's little new to add and if people catch wind that a 16-year-old version is good enough, the stream dries up.

The shame is that people haven't discovered more of the excellent FOSS alternatives (i.e. GIMP, Inkscape and LibreOffice) developed primarily for improving performance, capability and interoperability rather than to be able to claim "works with Windows 11/MacOS 13" or "new, improved and updated for 202n" with a different look to paw at your wallet. Microsoft will still have you believe that it is imperative to only use products from a company that you can sue. If I were going to sue anyone, it would likely be over vulnerabilities and that's something Microsoft and Adobe obviously have no hope of getting a handle on.

Corel used to be a good and economical alternative to the bigs but they've kind of lost their mojo. Serif has impressed me over the years but their name recognition is low along with having to do battle with FOSS. Serif was the first (and perhaps only) software company that reached out to me to see how things were going (a direct call from England).

Corel Draw is a vector based image program. Never had much use for it.

Hey check this out:

I took a chance and bought it for $36. I followed the instructions and I virus scanned each file. The 2021 version works and it is mostly familiar. Has some new popup help clues which is nice for things I didn't know. Seems to work with no flaws.
"Graphics Suite". Includes Photopaint and other modules. It's just what I got used to using when needed. Probably goes back to when I got my feet wet in automation working in the graphics dept. of an electric sign and graphics shop with Gerber equip. Plotters, cutters, routers, film and sublimation printers. Lots of cool 'toys'. Learned Corel because it's also what they used and it had the import/export filters to send to the rendering engines. Those volume license deals are pretty impressive.

Reactions: TheForce and Foxbat
Did you see that they’re based in Nottingham? Which makes them…

Serif of Nottingham!
:hiding
31e7r6.jpg

Well, I may have been scammed on that $36 Photoshop. :(

I went to use it today to retouch a photo and it said my free trial period is over and I need to subscribe to continue to use it. I sent the proprietor a note about it on his website to see what he has to say. Depending on how he responds, I will post a proper review on Etsy as he has quite a few similar offerings. Strange that there are mostly positive reviews. So hopefully, I did something wrong on the install. Stay tuned!

So, I went back to GIMP and began to learn the work flow. It's not too different than Photoshop. Thanks again for the tutorial. I also watched a few others on youtube and finished up my simple project with it. If I can't get resolution with the scammer, I'll just continue to work with GIMP.

Reactions: Foxbat and TRG
Well, I may have been scammed on that $36 Photoshop. :(

I went to use it today to retouch a photo and it said my free trial period is over and I need to subscribe to continue to use it. I sent the proprietor a note about it on his website to see what he has to say. Depending on how he responds, I will post a proper review on Etsy as he has quite a few similar offerings. Strange that there are mostly positive reviews. So hopefully, I did something wrong on the install. Stay tuned!

So, I went back to GIMP and began to learn the work flow. It's not too different than Photoshop. Thanks again for the tutorial. I also watched a few others on youtube and finished up my simple project with it. If I can't get resolution with the scammer, I'll just continue to work with GIMP.
Another update on the "Lifetime" Photoshop license. I decided to do another test of the file I downloaded to install the lifetime version. I saw that it actually made two folders under /adobe, one for the year 2020 version and another for the latest version. It seems the latest version was installed with a seven day free trial. If I launch that version than the 2020 version also gets restricted to requiring registration. I erased both folders and started the install from scratch and this time I avoided launching the 2023 version from that folder and only launched the 2020 Photoshop application file I was able to pin to the tray for speed. This has been working without asking for a license key or offering a seven day free trial. Not sure the 2023 Photoshop folder of files are necessary but I will continue to ignore it as long as the 2020 folder is working.

Anyway, glad I have learned GIMP as a backup. I think both will work for my basic needs for something a little more robust than windows paint.

Weighing in here.

I have been using Photoshop since 1995, and used Corel Draw before that. Until 2012 I used it for print production all the time.

I've tried GIMP, I've tried Corel several times over the years, I've tried Photopea as well. (link: Photopea | Online Photo Editor ) In the end I still pay the monthly fee for Creative Cloud and swear under my breath every time I see it on my credit card statement.

The reason I'm posting is to mention Canva. ( https://www.canva.com/ ) It's not really a photo "editor" like if you retouch pictures it's not going to give you a lot. But if you're creating content it is extremely full featured considering it's free. There's a paid version that lets you do even more, but if you know (or are) a student or teacher the full version is free too.

The young people like Canva a lot over Photoshop, and that's why I've been forced to learn it, at least to open and work with their files. Not sure what you want to do with Photoshop, but it's an option.

Adobe also has their own free thing, Adobe Express. ( Free Design, Photo, and Video Tool | Adobe Express ) I don't have much use for it but maybe it will work for what you want to do.

Weighing in here.

I have been using Photoshop since 1995, and used Corel Draw before that. Until 2012 I used it for print production all the time.

I've tried GIMP, I've tried Corel several times over the years, I've tried Photopea as well. (link: Photopea | Online Photo Editor ) In the end I still pay the monthly fee for Creative Cloud and swear under my breath every time I see it on my credit card statement.

The reason I'm posting is to mention Canva. ( https://www.canva.com/ ) It's not really a photo "editor" like if you retouch pictures it's not going to give you a lot. But if you're creating content it is extremely full featured considering it's free. There's a paid version that lets you do even more, but if you know (or are) a student or teacher the full version is free too.

The young people like Canva a lot over Photoshop, and that's why I've been forced to learn it, at least to open and work with their files. Not sure what you want to do with Photoshop, but it's an option.

Adobe also has their own free thing, Adobe Express. ( Free Design, Photo, and Video Tool | Adobe Express ) I don't have much use for it but maybe it will work for what you want to do.
Good to have so many options. Thanks.

This whole adventure came about as a result of me needing to upgrade my older PC due to a MB failure and suffer the side effects of loss of older perfectly fine adobe software. Adobe shut down their licensing server for older versions a few years ago forcing older users to switch to current version that was subscription based. No way to activate from original install CD.
While my need is very basic, I do need to work in layers and good selection tools.

Reactions: HipKat
OK I give up! Three strikes and I'm out. This morning I went to test the Photoshop and once again it shows I need to subscribe. It lasted 4 days. I can still delete the file folders in adobe and reinstall and it will be open again and find my previous PSD files but what a PIA! So I will just give up on it and continue to use GIMP.

I still have not heard from the seller. Here goes a bad review!

OK I give up! Three strikes and I'm out. This morning I went to test the Photoshop and once again it shows I need to subscribe. It lasted 4 days. I can still delete the file folders in adobe and reinstall and it will be open again and find my previous PSD files but what a PIA! So I will just give up on it and continue to use GIMP.

I still have not heard from the seller. Here goes a bad review!
Go back to the link where you bought it, bottom right-hand corner: "Report this item to Etsy".

Let them deal with it, as the guy is scamming people. Heck, I'd also report him to whoever the company is that owns Photoshop. It's probably hacked in some way, and just won't activate for you. As I heard a Klingon once say: "Revenge is a dish, best served cold"...