Windows 8

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
This thing is awesome. They are still developing it, but it has the potential to be the best OS created thus far.

Windows 8 essentially supports two kinds of applications. One is the classic Windows application, which runs in a desktop very similar to the Windows 7 desktop.
The other type of application, which has to be written in HTML5 and Javascript, looks more like a mobile application, filling the full screen. Internet Explorer 10, which is part of Windows 8, has already been configured to run in this mode, as have several widget-like apps for checking stock prices and weather.
Exclusive: Making Sense of Our First Look at Windows 8 – AllThingsD

This is why both Windows and MacOS are very important and both need to be very successful. Each one helps push the other to develop further.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been excited about the new iterations of Windows since I was old enough to care, but for some reason I really don't like this. I am very comfortable in my desktop environment, and this is such a drastic change. I've tried themes in Vista and XP that were similar to this and couldn't stick to it. I don't use gadgets or the sidebar in 7, I like my desktop/file manager experience :(

We'll see what happens, surely it will grow on me.

Not sure if I like the new user interface (those rectangular tiles). It might be practical for tablets though.

What is nice is that you can run it as a classic windows UI as well

From the article I linked in the opening post:
Windows 8 essentially supports two kinds of applications. One is the classic Windows application, which runs in a desktop very similar to the Windows 7 desktop.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It looks interesting. I am wondering how well the "traditional" windows apps will run with the touch screen, but I like the integration of touch technology; I am curious how much would be lost with a traditional desktop, keyboard and mouse setup. It is definitely a big change from W7.

I currently have a W7 HP Touchsmart. You can use all the apps with Touch, but standard desktop apps don't really benefit from it. In fact, IMO, I think the use of touch on a desktop isn't very handy at all. Mine is used for a single use, which is an application to allow me to present sheet music for playing. I use touch to turn the pages, which IS very handy. But when looking up a song or some such, it isn't really nice to use. Although since it is on my organ, it is handier to use touch than to fiddle with moving a keyboard into place and finding a flat surface for the mouse.

While W8 might change the menuing for touch, I really doubt it will change the interaction within a desktop app not written with touch in mind.

I would hope that Microsoft would also design a "touch" alternative for Microsoft Office, like apple has done with iWorks, in terms of the iPad versions compared with the OSX versions. They are not the same, but the tablet version is quite functional in that mode.

I would hope that Microsoft would also design a "touch" alternative for Microsoft Office, like apple has done with iWorks, in terms of the iPad versions compared with the OSX versions. They are not the same, but the tablet version is quite functional in that mode.

One would hope that would be done. But honestly, from a desktop standpoint, touch just isn't all the great. In portables, yep it is a good thing to have.

lparsons21 said:
One would hope that would be done. But honestly, from a desktop standpoint, touch just isn't all the great. In portables, yep it is a good thing to have.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Not sure if I like the new user interface (those rectangular tiles). It might be practical for tablets though.
Yep. I hate it. Definitely for people who love touch pads. Obviously meant to compete against tablets like IPAD.

Me I use a mouse, but actually preferred the days where everything done with a mouse could also be done with a keyboard without having to move my hand to the mouse. They lost that years ago.

I have too many apps installed to want to see them all as big tiles. Prefer my one large screen full of icons.

Hope they allow you to open in the old UI instead. Over the years they have had the habit of fixing things that were never broke. Forcing everyone to have to relearn how to use their computer.

Again, you need to realize that the APP UI is optional. You do not have to use it in such a way. You can always use the classic windows UI in Windows 8. It is as easy as one swipe to switch back and forth. Options are always a good thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)