Winegard Square Shooter OTA Antenna

Channel 4 in the St. Louis area is broadcasted in UHF channel 4.1 and in VHF channel 4. I have an indoor antenna now and the TV picture is super good in the UHF channel 4.1 and not so good in the VHF channel 4. So I think the 4221 would probably be OK. However, I am now checking out the Terrestrial DB8 antenna. Does anyone have any experience with this antenna? My mission is to bring in only UHF digitals for backup when the dish antenna has thunderstorm problems. I am planning on the OTA running to three 722s and one 322.

No, channel 4 digital is not on UHF 4.1 It is at UHF 56. Channel 56 is mapped by your tuner so it appears as 4.1, the stations use this "virtual mapping" so they can retain their identity, since they have put a lot of marketing into being "channel 4".
Rather than a DB8 you should get the CM4228 which is a better antenna at less money (although you may have to dismantle it to get it into your attic). But either will probably be an overkill. The CM4221 should be OK

OK, thanks for the info. I did not know that. I never thought of dismantleling the CM4228. I just knew that it would not fit through the openning because it is shipped as an assembly. The DB8 has to be put together so I was going to put together as much as would fit through the openning and then finish it up in the attic. Would it be a problem if it is too much of an over kill? May not have to use a pre-amp.

I entered your zip code at antennaweb, just to see what came up.

* yellow - uhf KTVI-DT 2.1 FOX St. Louis MO 261° 25.2 43
* yellow - uhf KMOV-DT 4.1 CBS ST. LOUIS MO 259° 21.4 56
* yellow - uhf KDNL-DT 30.1 ABC ST. LOUIS MO 268° 22.6 31
* yellow - uhf KSDK-DT 5.1 NBC ST. LOUIS MO 266° 22.7 35
* yellow - uhf WPXS-DT 21 IND MOUNT VERNON IL TBD 98° 23.4 21
* blue - uhf WSIU-DT 8.1 PBS CARBONDALE IL 133° 49.5 40
* blue - uhf KETC-DT 9.1 PBS ST. LOUIS MO 254° 27.3 39
* blue - uhf KNLC-DT 24.1 FMN ST. LOUIS MO 246° 38.0 14
* blue - uhf KPLR-DT 11.1 CW ST. LOUIS MO 267° 22.4 26
* violet - uhf WRBU-DT 46.1 MNT E. ST. LOUIS IL 246° 34.2 47
Note:
Antennaweb is notoriously pessimistic when it comes to digital station reception; based on these numbers the CM4221 would certainly get the four network stations and probably the other St Louis stations as well , depending on how much attenuation is introduced by your attic. If it's one of those with metallic-lined insulation in the attic roof, predictions are very difficult to make. The CM4228 would just be, well, better. It is basically two CM4221's. It's more expensive of course, and you may have to dismantle it, as we discussed. But you have to aim it more carefully because it has a narrower beamwidth than the CM4221. And as has been mentioned, attic installations can sometimes create multipath which is a major problem for digital signals.
Preamps are used to overcome cable losses and also the effect of splitters, so you may not need one unless you have a very long cable run or you are splitting the signal to multiple TVs. The CM7777 is an excellent preamp where you do not have very close in stations which can cause overload.

OK, thanks again. That was what I came up with too in antennaweb. The OTA antenna will be split four ways to the previous mentioned receivers. All four cable runs are over 100 feet each. The longest one is 125 feet, includes from the antenna mask to the receiver. Do you think I should get the pre-amp too or just try it out first? If I do get the amp shouldn't I get the CM7775 UHF only model instead of the CM7777 UHF/VHF model?

The four way split is going to drop your signal about 7dB, the long runs will drop it at least another 3dB. The 7775 and 7777 amplify 25-30 dB.

You might also consider the Winegard HDP-269 for this application. It has 12dB amplification and will easily make up for line and splitter loss. Either way will probably work.

Remember, digital TV reception is an art, not a science. Actual reception will only be known when you hook it up and turn it on.

The four way split is going to drop your signal about 7dB, the long runs will drop it at least another 3dB. The 7775 and 7777 amplify 25-30 dB.

You might also consider the Winegard HDP-269 for this application. It has 12dB amplification and will easily make up for line and splitter loss. Either way will probably work.

Remember, digital TV reception is an art, not a science. Actual reception will only be known when you hook it up and turn it on.

The HDP269 should be fine for this application. Or the 7775 or 7777. The 7777 is useful if you are going to couple a VHF antenna to a UHF one but you don't have any VHF stations so it's not necessary. The 7775 is a few dollars less. And as Jim says, the HDP269 should give you enough amplification to cover the signal losses.

OK, thanks, I am saying all UHF for now. But, I read someplace that when everything is all digital in I think 2009, some of the stations might go to VHF digital. Have yall heard of that? I suppose all the UHF antennas won't work with that. What do yall think?

OK, thanks, I am saying all UHF for now. But, I read someplace that when everything is all digital in I think 2009, some of the stations might go to VHF digital. Have yall heard of that? I suppose all the UHF antennas won't work with that. What do yall think?

Yes, I mentioned that in an earlier post and already did a quick check on that for you. KMOV is going to 24 and I believe everyone else is staying on their existing UHF channel. An almost-complete list of the new channel allocations is at http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-1082A2.pdf

WOW, thanks Texasbrit for the info. That is good news. I am from Texas too, San Antonio. But I am stuck in Illinois. Wish I was back down there. Nothing like Texas. Thanks again.

Finally got my attic antenna installed. Terrestrial DB4 HDTV and a Channel Master 7775 amp. Works supper good. Pulling in hi 80 percent signal. Thanks to all for the helpfull info.

Antennas Direct | DB4 The Best HDTV Antenna on the Market

C:\Documents and Settings\Terri & Charlie\My Documents\Charlie HP 9000\TV Info\OTA Antenna\OTA Pics

Wouldn't call it the best HDTV antenna on the market but it is a decent one if you don't need VHF Hi reception.

We can't see pics on your PC by the way.

Wow, nice setup. How far are you from the stations? I am around 23 miles and getting hi 80 percent signal with antenna in my attic. Installed the amp and got only maybe 2 percent gain. Do you know where in this forum on procedures to install pics in the threads? I cannot figure it out. Thanks for the pic.

Db...6

It works good for me to...;)

P1020640.jpg

Wow, nice setup. How far are you from the stations? I am around 23 miles and getting hi 80 percent signal with antenna in my attic. Installed the amp and got only maybe 2 percent gain. Do you know where in this forum on procedures to install pics in the threads? I cannot figure it out. Thanks for the pic.

Attics and amps usually don't mix well and usually don't give a better quality signal. Sometimes they make it worse!

Click manage attachments and upload your picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)