Winter Classic 2010

The NHL has certaintly hit a grand slam with this tradition!!

I just wish we got to see a Winter Classic in Tiger Stadium and the old Yankee Stadium before they closed!

I also think PNC Park in Pittsburgh (my favorite baseball park) will be an awesome future venue! :up

The NHL has certaintly hit a grand slam with this tradition!!

I just wish we got to see a Winter Classic in Tiger Stadium and the old Yankee Stadium before they closed!

I also think PNC Park in Pittsburgh (my favorite baseball park) will be an awesome future venue! :up

They could still do one at the old Yankee stadium next year if they wanted too, but they would probably want to use the new one instead.

They could still do one at the old Yankee stadium next year if they wanted too, but they would probably want to use the new one instead.

Very unlikely since the new Yankee Stadium in 2010 will start hosting a bowl game between the Big East and Big 12, the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Early speculation for next year is Washington at Pittsburgh.

yep the Winter Classic kicks butt

All hockey fans should watch it (preferably on the CBC if you have access to it) ;)

Early speculation for next year is Washington at Pittsburgh.

If that's to happen, I have the perfect suggestion for where it should take place:

beaver-stadium-lg.jpg

I like Sabre's suggestion here.
Penn State is in the middle of NOWHERE and it holds at least twice as many fans.

Which is why, IMO, it belongs in Pittsburgh-not Happy Valley- when it's the Pens turn to host the WC. The city skyline is a big part of the ambience of these games.

And if seating capacity was the determing factor for a venue, the Black Hawks game would have been at Soldier Field or even Champaign (U of Illinois), and the Bruins game would have been in Foxboro.

Wrigley Field and Fenway Park were perfect for the "snow globe effect", and PNC Park has the same downtown charm that those ballparks have, and even better....is much more modern.

Which is why, IMO, it belongs in Pittsburgh-not Happy Valley- when it's the Pens turn to host the WC. The city skyline is a big part of the ambience of these games.

And if seating capacity was the determing factor for a venue, the Black Hawks game would have been at Soldier Field or even Champaign (U of Illinois), and the Bruins game would have been in Foxboro.

Wrigley Field and Fenway Park were perfect for the "snow globe effect", and PNC Park has the same downtown charm that those ballparks have, and even better....is much more modern.

Come to think of it, most baseball stadiums hold twice as many fans as a typical hockey venue ...

Pittsburgh is very far south. Average high is 12 degrees warmer than Boston. State College, located up in the mountains, is actually colder on average than Toronto or Detroit in winter. The most common weather on New Year's Day in Pittsburgh is sleet or a cold rain.

The smart thing for the NHL to do, with New Year's falling on a weekend for the next two years, would be to go to an NFL-less city or to Canada, and return in 2013.

Pittsburgh is very far south. Average high is 12 degrees warmer than Boston. State College, located up in the mountains, is actually colder on average than Toronto or Detroit in winter. The most common weather on New Year's Day in Pittsburgh is sleet or a cold rain.

The smart thing for the NHL to do, with New Year's falling on a weekend for the next two years, would be to go to an NFL-less city or to Canada, and return in 2013.

I've proposed it before and I'll do it again...

Detroit vs. Pittsburgh in Cleveland. Jacob's Field or Cleveland Browns Stadium, take your choice. Cleveland is half-way between Detroit and Pitt and chances for snow are much more likely right along the coast of Lake Erie than down in the boondocks of Pittsburgh. As a matter of fact, we have over a foot of snow on the ground now and it's still coming down pretty hard!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)