WorldSport Future Programming

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
This is coming from their website:

"There are some exciting projects coming to World Sport this summer; Including Golden League Track and Field events from across Europe, a motor sport series set to begin in August and the Encore presentation of the 2003-2004 La Liga season. Of course, we also plan to continue our LIVE soccer with the 2004-05 Spanish Premier League which will kick off sooner than you know it."

Also check this thread as there were a few ideas that were discussed that might be coming to World Sport.

And then this:

Thank you all for the positive feedback to our LIVE soccer coverage on World Sport. Although we have been working vigorously to bulk our live games, we will not be airing the Euro2004 cup.

Thanks,
Matt

I am very sorry to hear about Euro-2004, but this was expected...

Ilya said:
I am very sorry to hear about Euro-2004, but this was expected...

Me too. But it is good that La Liga will come back for 2004-2005 season and that they are preparing more sports events after the season of La Liga. It also means that we will get more LIVE La Liga games next season since they will start from the beginning.

WorldSport is a good concept but I fear that any sport channel will need to reach deep into their pockets if they do not have sponsors. I would not be too upset if World Sport starts selling some of their air space to advertisers if it means bringing more sports coverage. Especially sports coverage from the U.S. What you guys think?

Sean Mota said:
WorldSport is a good concept but I fear that any sport channel will need to reach deep into their pockets if they do not have sponsors. I would not be too upset if World Sport starts selling some of their air space to advertisers if it means bringing more sports coverage. Especially sports coverage from the U.S. What you guys think?

I agree. I wouldn't mind commercials for great HD sports. I put up with them on FSW and it's quality is not nearly as good. I would hope that if they do get some sponsorship they could go after other leagues in the world that are not shown on US tv. Maybe the some of the Scandinavian leagues or Asian leagues. It would be a nice change. I would also like them to show more teams from Spain, Every game has either Real, Barca or Valencia.

Difficult to advertise for soccer. Best way is to superimpose ads on field. Ads at halftime only never has gone over well with advertisers. I'd really like more MLB. We've got enough soccer.

cyuhnke said:
Difficult to advertise for soccer...
Mayby that's one of the reasons why soccer is not so popular in US? No commercial breaks!

By the way, have you noticed those 3-d looking ads on the field - interesting idea!

Sean Mota said:
US hockey and MLB! would be wonderful on worldsport.

I think your missing the point

The channel is called "world sport", not US sport. And there isn't enough soccer on tv. The only channel that has it is fsw and espn soccer saturday which is only one game (MLS at that). Belive it or not but soccer is becoming reality in the US the number of players continues to grow and the talent in the US continues to grow. The main reasons I got Voom was for the channel, and if it switches to showing sporting events in the US, I would switch back to cable.

sloud74 said:
The channel is called "world sport", not US sport. And there isn't enough soccer on tv. The only channel that has it is fsw and espn soccer saturday which is only one game (MLS at that). Belive it or not but soccer is becoming reality in the US the number of players continues to grow and the talent in the US continues to grow. The main reasons I got Voom was for the channel, and if it switches to showing sporting events in the US, I would switch back to cable.

Welcome,

I think we all like what we we are seeing this season with the Soccer from the Spain premiere league. We all want that to remain and it will.

I'd love it if everything of Fox Sports World was simulcast in HD on WorldSport and we got the La Liga games and they might as well show Serie A games from Italy too...oooh, and they ought to send someone over to my house to bring me banana splits while the game is on. Is that too much to ask?

Seriously, though, I'm just exited that we are gonna get a full season of live La Liga next season. I hope that we will also still get UEFA Cup games, too. I'd love it to have more but I'm frankly surprised that we are able to get this much HD live sport from a place that does not use the ATSC standard to broadcast domestically or anywhere on the continent. So, I'll take whatever we can get and be happy for the extra's. I just hope that we have some nice documentation in advance of what games are going to be on at what times - and maybe some information in the guide about whether a game that is listed is live, repeated, and/or when it was originally played.

ZeitGeist said:
I'd love it if everything of Fox Sports World was simulcast in HD on WorldSport and we got the La Liga games and they might as well show Serie A games from Italy too...oooh, and they ought to send someone over to my house to bring me banana splits while the game is on. Is that too much to ask?

Seriously, though, I'm just exited that we are gonna get a full season of live La Liga next season. I hope that we will also still get UEFA Cup games, too. I'd love it to have more but I'm frankly surprised that we are able to get this much HD live sport from a place that does not use the ATSC standard to broadcast domestically or anywhere on the continent. So, I'll take whatever we can get and be happy for the extra's. I just hope that we have some nice documentation in advance of what games are going to be on at what times - and maybe some information in the guide about whether a game that is listed is live, repeated, and/or when it was originally played.

UEFA cup games is a go for next season. World Sport will also add more of the friendly matches as well. Regarding the PG not updated with the correct information, I told them yesterday that it is imperative to highlight or denote which games will be shown LIVE and which are taped. I also told them that it will be very good if they can display the date that each game was played for the games that are not live. Hopefully we will get this resolve. Also, I was told that the Spanish Premiere League schedule is a little different than most American Sports. Apparently the Spanish Premiere League do not have a set schedule as to which date the games will be played (it could be a saturday or a sunday). This decision is not made well in advanced. WorldSport has a website which at this point is the best source of information for LIVE games. They will continue updating this website as well. As to other sports from around the World, it may happen but at this point I don't have a lot of information.

Im sorry but no one is going to watch track and field events. Worldsport needs to go after some professional American sports or it is just not going to work.

vurbano said:
Im sorry but no one is going to watch track and field events. Worldsport needs to go after some professional American sports or it is just not going to work.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the idea of the "World" in WorldSport. Domestic sports leagues and sporting events are covered in great detail by the OTA networks and cable/satellite channels. I would imagine that getting any sort of broadcast rights for these events is complicated and expensive. Also, there is competition from other HD only channels like INHD and HDNet to get even B-level U.S. sporting events. I hear what your saying about viewership but I doubt anyone at Voom thinks of WorldSport as anything but a niche channel and probably spend the money to program the channel accordingly.

WorldSport might be a niche channel, but according to our recent poll it is the the third most popular channel among VOOM Exclusives. More than 1/3 (!) of VOOM subscribers on this Forum consider it a favorite channel. I say, keep it the way it is: world soccer-oriented, bring more live broadcasts and fill in the blanks with any other sports events from around the world (anything will do, even curling!) For domestic sports we have ESPN, OTA networks and hopefully regional sports networks down the road.

ZeitGeist said:
Doesn't that kinda defeat the idea of the "World" in WorldSport. Domestic sports leagues and sporting events are covered in great detail by the OTA networks and cable/satellite channels. I would imagine that getting any sort of broadcast rights for these events is complicated and expensive. Also, there is competition from other HD only channels like INHD and HDNet to get even B-level U.S. sporting events. I hear what your saying about viewership but I doubt anyone at Voom thinks of WorldSport as anything but a niche channel and probably spend the money to program the channel accordingly.
no it doesnt defeat the idea of "world". SHouldnt the US be represented?
I agree worldsport is popular and I like the soccer. But this "put anything on the voom channels" attitude is one of the reasons we only have 8000 subs. What about some Hidef kickboxing or cage fighting? track and field? does that even have a measureable fan base? Worldsport is off to a decent start. lets move it forward in veiwership not backwards.

Ilya said:
I say, keep it the way it is: world soccer-oriented

Actually the way it is is Spanish Premeire League and the occasional UEFA game. Mix in some Scottish, English, Italian, and French club games. Real Madrid by itself is 90% of the soccer on WorldSport.

I really wish Fox Sports World's lineup was WorldSport's lineup, only in HD. :)

astrossuperfan said:
Mix in some Scottish, English, Italian, and French club games...
Yes, that would be great for sure! Though I suspect they only have a single crew team there and moving all that gear all over Europe would not be easy. And if they have to chose one single country, Spain is not a bad choice!

I agree...

Vurbano is correct, the title IS World Sport and isn't the US a part of the world!!??

Ok, soccer is cool but they need more than soccer. Having some MLB, Hockey, etc. will only help the channel, not hurt it. I'd like to see some rugby and other sports not very poplular here in the US. I really enjoyed the sailing they were showing. Heck, we can bring the Canadians in by showing curling! ;)

Anyway, I don't want the channel to become the World Soccer channel. Say what you want about soccer in the US it's still not an overly popular SPECTATOR sport. Sure people play it but people (as a whole) don't tend to sit and watch it. I do was an occasional game but usually only the big ones. I'm guessing the bulk of the viewers out there probably have similar soccer viewing habits.

I say keep the same amount of soccer coverage and expand to some other sports.

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)