XBOX One Owners Thread

Good news everyone. The the latest Xbox One preview firmware officially unlocked DLNA support. The last update allowed you to play your media from a USB drive with the Xbox Media player but now DLNA actually works. This is big for me because I use a dedicated media server computer with Windows Media Center as my OTA DVR. Now I can easily watch all my recorded TV on my Xbox One.

If anyone is interested in this process, I use some free software to make everything easier. Windows Media Center records in .wtv uncompressed format. The issues I have with this are that these uncompressed files are about 7GB for an hour long show and lots of devices like Roku and Xbox One won't play them.

MCEBuddy automatically scans my recorded TV folder for new episodes overnight on the schedule I set. When it finds new episodes it converts them to h264 MP4 files and deletes the old .wtv file. These are high quality files, complete with Dolby 5.1 sound and now take up about 750-1000MB instead of 7GB. Also they will play on Roku and Xbox One without having to be transcoded by Plex. This means it's just reading the file off the server's drive instead of trying to convert it on the fly. This makes trick play controls much more responsive.

Another big feature of MCEBuddy is that it automatically strips out all the commercials during the conversion process. This is great because it's like having auto-hop again only I don't have to pay for it.

The other piece of free software I use is Plex. This is what I use for my DLNA server. It keeps all my TV shows in order by series, season, and episode number complete with cover art and metadata. It would also be nice for movies if you ripped them but I'm just using it for my DVR recordings.

Well, that $840 is due to importing and tax costs. Like I said I still think that a US bundle is on the way, but personally I'd want one that would include the Kinect as well, and the recent batch of bundles have been excluding the Kinect. Maybe I'll just wait for a $399 discounted Kinect version (they pop up from time to time) and then pay for the game. Or perhaps eventually Gamestop will have a good trade in deal, although I don't see myself trading in my Xbox 360. I'd rather just trade all my non-music/dance games, since I have literally HUNDREDS of Rock Band songs, not to mention a lot of XBLA and other full games on my HDD.

Come to think of it, I better not use that voice functionality too much. Part of my bargaining power with my kids is that I'm the only one in the house who can pull up Netflix and Amazon on the TV. If my kids figure out that they can just say what they want and the Xbox will deliver it to them on the apps, my level of control could be greatly compromised.

Yup. Approximate commands for an owned video:

- Xbox go to Amazon instant video
- your video library
- next page
- frozen plus bonus features
- watch now

If you're ever not sure what to say you just say Xbox Select and it overlays all available commands on items/movies.

Depending on the use case this functionality is worth the price of the console. Stuff like saying xbox pause while changing a diaper, etc is priceless.

Yup. Approximate commands for an owned video:

- Xbox go to Amazon instant video
- your video library
- next page
- frozen plus bonus features
- watch now

If you're ever not sure what to say you just say Xbox Select and it overlays all available commands on items/movies.

Depending on the use case this functionality is worth the price of the console. Stuff like saying xbox pause while changing a diaper, etc is priceless.

I agree. I do not use it to navigate all that often, although I do use it from time to time, the xbox pause, xbox play, or to launch back to TV is worth the price IMO.