XBOX One Owners Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Negative. I still can't access my games.

Yup you are right. Played a round of BOIII (disc) no problem but just tried a digital download game and got the stupid try again in awhile message. At least Netflix working since I don't already have that on a dozen other boxes here. Blah.

It's funny I was thinking yesterday how maybe I should start doing more digital purchases so I don't have to get off my butt to change the disc. Think I'll stick with the discs for.....forever now.

Well Xbox One support was about as helpful as a kick to the balls. I left the conversation with this, as I feel it describes me and everyone else right now who CAN'T PLAY THE GAMES THEY LEGALLY OWN..

Reactions: T134
Yup you are right. Played a round of BOIII (disc) no problem but just tried a digital download game and got the stupid try again in awhile message. At least Netflix working since I don't already have that on a dozen other boxes here. Blah.

It's funny I was thinking yesterday how maybe I should start doing more digital purchases so I don't have to get off my butt to change the disc. Think I'll stick with the discs for.....forever now.

I still prefer digital. Outside of tonight I haven't seen any major disadvantages and I like the convienence and lack of hundreds of plastic game boxes like the 360/PS3 days. Tonight is the only time I have ever seen an issue that only affected digital copies.

I also have a PC and PS4 so if one platform is having issues on any given night I have other options to keep me busy. I understand that it would be frustrating if you only have an hour or two to wind down at the end of the day and you only have one platform or what to play a specific game that isn't working though. This kind of thing just shouldn't happen.

Well Xbox One support was about as helpful as a kick to the balls. I left the conversation with this, as I feel it describes me and everyone else right now who CAN'T PLAY THE GAMES THEY LEGALLY OWN..

LMAO! I'm just pissed that it is back to where I can't use the damn media player to play ANYTHING because of whatever is going on. X360 still up and all is well except of course it doesn't support DLNA nor will it play MKV's which happens to be what I want to watch on a damn xbox right now. Guess I'll do it the old fashioned way and watch on an Amiko that only requires power and a HDMI cable to play something.

I still prefer digital. Outside of tonight I haven't seen any major disadvantages and I like the convienence and lack of hundreds of plastic game boxes like the 360/PS3 days. Tonight is the only time I have ever seen an issue that only affected digital copies.

I also have a PC and PS4 so if one platform is having issues on any given night I have other options to keep me busy. I understand that it would be frustrating if you only have an hour or two to wind down at the end of the day and you only have one platform or what to play a specific game that isn't working though. This kind of thing just shouldn't happen.
What annoys me more is that 9 times out of 10 there's NO accountability or repercussions for this. Microsoft should be held accountable and pony up some compensation. I mean, as T134 pointed out, it wasn't just GAMES that were down, but it was also regular apps, even those that don't need internet access. So there's a good chance that last night multiple people's Ones turned into a $350-$500 electronic brick.

What frustrates me more is that NO OTHER form of entertainment deals with this in terms of access to stuff you have legally purchased. So I never buy the argument when people just say "Oh get over it it's only games" or "There are worst things that could happen." And I ALWAYS encourage people to yell to the heavens and complain when crap like this goes down because it's VERY obvious that if you don't do this, the companies will just keep doing it. It's like dealing with children. If you don't make it clear that what they're doing is wrong, they're going to just keep doing it, because why not? If you don't get into any trouble, who cares??

This picture describes it all:

8qff62s.jpg

What annoys me more is that 9 times out of 10 there's NO accountability or repercussions for this. Microsoft should be held accountable and pony up some compensation. I mean, as T134 pointed out, it wasn't just GAMES that were down, but it was also regular apps, even those that don't need internet access. So there's a good chance that last night multiple people's Ones turned into a $350-$500 electronic brick.

If a guy paid $60/yr for xbone live that amounts to 16.4 cents per day. That's not even worth a refund for the frustration. What would be good compensation? Extend subs by a few days? A month? It seems to be just like internet or cable or satellite service. Those can go down for long periods too and they don't offer anything. I certainly understand the nature of tech and the internet, things aren't going to work perfect 100% of the time. XBL is getting to the point of unreliable, not just an occasional outage for a few minutes or hours.

For me this was nothing more than a mild irritation. I've got tons of other toys that play TV, movies, games and other things. I don't need the xbone. I also know that there are many people out there with a 'bone or PS4 where it is their only source of entertainment and ways to watch media. If I were one of those I'd be PISSED.

What frustrates me more is that NO OTHER form of entertainment deals with this in terms of access to stuff you have legally purchased.

I understand the need for DRM and content control. No one is gonna make anything if it can be stolen for free. That said, there are better ways to go about it. Why the heck is the MEDIA PLAYER tied into xbox live/internet access??? This is for playing media from MY HDD that I got from other places and on MY network. There is no DRM or anything to be stolen from xbone. I'd like to think this was poor design or an oversight because the other ideas I have for why they would do this intentionally are chilling.

Things like Youtube and Netflix....these don't need XBL dependencies. I can use the Android Apps on my devices for these services whether Google Play is up or down. They work directly and independently. Verification is between the App and the service, not Google. So why on xbone are these tied to XBL? The "apps" are on my box and should work directly with the provider.

Now for downloaded games and DLC. I see the need for a dependency there. If you have the internet to download these you should have the internet to update and verify them.....on occasion. It wouldn't take much to have these run offline for a day, 3 days, a week without making them vulnerable to theft. It isn't complicated code to do so, in fact a 9 year old could write it. There is ZERO reason not to have things you purchased and downloaded able to run offline for a period. It is an absolute MUST if XBL can't keep their system online on a regular basis not to mention the internet in general being unreliable. How about taking the xbone camping or to a hotel where you can't get it online for a few days? Again easy for them to make this stuff run offline for a period. Total BS if they don't make changes so it can happen.

Now for downloaded games and DLC. I see the need for a dependency there. If you have the internet to download these you should have the internet to update and verify them.....on occasion. It wouldn't take much to have these run offline for a day, 3 days, a week without making them vulnerable to theft. It isn't complicated code to do so, in fact a 9 year old could write it. There is ZERO reason not to have things you purchased and downloaded able to run offline for a period. It is an absolute MUST if XBL can't keep their system online on a regular basis not to mention the internet in general being unreliable. How about taking the xbone camping or to a hotel where you can't get it online for a few days? Again easy for them to make this stuff run offline for a period. Total BS if they don't make changes so it can happen.

This is actually supposed to work but for whatever reason it didn't last night. There is a whole Reddit thread about it. You can set one Xbox One as the "home console" for your Xbox Live account. The home console is supposed to be able to play your digital purchases even when you are offline as long as you aren't playing a game like Destiny that requires a constant internet connection. Plenty of people seem to have first hand experience of this working.

I'm taking a total shot in the dark but this is what I'm guessing happened last night. Xbox Live wasn't actually down. From what I read it was just the digital authentication server that was down. My Xbox One has been set as my home console since the day I got it a month or two after launch. I was on my Xbox One all night using Hulu and I kept checking my friends list after reading about the problems here. I had friends watching Netflix and playing Rocket League (digital only game by the way) last night.

I personally played a level in Rayman Legends which I got through Games With Gold with no problem. However, I was not able to even load into the main menu of my digital copy of The Master Chief Collection without getting the error about needing to insert the disc. It clearly seemed to be affecting different games differently and even different people playing the same game differently.

I'm wondering if the fact that the authentication server was not responding while the Xbox One was still getting a signal saying it was connected to Xbox Live was creating the problem. It's obviously too late to test now but I'm wondering if people could have just pulled their ethernet cables and the system would have worked the way it was intended as long as it was set as your home console. That way the console would not be receiving an active Xbox Live signal and it would know it was offline.

Of course, this wouldn't have helped people who were trying to use DLNA to stream things across their home network or people trying to play games online.

If a guy paid $60/yr for xbone live that amounts to 16.4 cents per day. That's not even worth a refund for the frustration. What would be good compensation? Extend subs by a few days? A month? It seems to be just like internet or cable or satellite service. Those can go down for long periods too and they don't offer anything. I certainly understand the nature of tech and the internet, things aren't going to work perfect 100% of the time. XBL is getting to the point of unreliable, not just an occasional outage for a few minutes or hours.
No, when my cable goes down for an extended period I'm right on the phone with customer service and 9 times out of 10 they'll offer some sort of penance, whether it be a 1 month discount or a free movie or something. Microsoft is offering jack sh*t for this, and have said NOTHING about them trying to make sure that this doesn't happen again. If I were Sony I'd be ALL over this and say "Well at least even if our service is down at least you'll be able to play everything you purchased!" Of course they likely won't because of their maintenance issues, but I've never not been able to play my games because PSN was down, or maybe I was just lucky.

I understand the need for DRM and content control. No one is gonna make anything if it can be stolen for free.
Good old Games would like to disagree..http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...com-and-the-drm-free-revolution/#556cff64133f

For me this was nothing more than a mild irritation. I've got tons of other toys that play TV, movies, games and other things. I don't need the xbone. I also know that there are many people out there with a 'bone or PS4 where it is their only source of entertainment and ways to watch media. If I were one of those I'd be PISSED.
Well that's another thing you have to remember: The reason it's even called the Xbox One and the original marketing push was that it was the "One Machine" you need for your living room. It handles gaming, live television, video streaming, even Skype chats! That was what they were pushing as their selling point and way to distance themselves from the PS4. Unfortunately Microsoft soon realized that most people who buy a gaming console want it to play games on and that the other stuff is just nice window dressing. It wasn't until Microsoft did the big push towards actual gaming that the One picked up traction, but they're STILL reeling from that decision.

Whatever. It looks like Microsoft is simply going to use the "Phone Company" excuse with this whole thing and washing their hands of it. I'm going to move on myself, but you can guarantee that I'll be MUCH less likely to make digital purchases from hereon out.

There is a reason many gamers have never heard of GOG but everyone knows what Steam is. That reason is that for the most part they only have old games and indie stuff. If you want to play the major releases you are going to be using one of the DRM services like Steam, Origin, or uPlay. The major publishers aren't throwing their new AAA games on GOG for a reason. They must feel that DRM helps their bottom line even if determined pirates are usually able to find a way around it.

The good news is that all of those services have gotten pretty good about the way they handle DRM. In fact I don't notice any difference between using Steam to launch my games or the optional GOG Galaxy client for the vast majority of my games even though GOG Galaxy doesn't have DRM built in and Steam does.

I do like GOG but I haven't found it to be any more convenient than the games I buy through Steam, uPlay, or Origin. Outside of uPlay games bought through Steam or older games that still have GFWL built in I have never had a DRM related complaint with PC gaming. I do know that things used to be much worse but that was before I was playing games on PC.

The idea of a DRM free future in theory sounds great. The argument that people are willing to pay if it is convenient and affordable to do so doesn't really hold weight for me though. I think it did in the music industry. People clearly switched from illegal sources to iTunes. Gaming already has their iTunes in the form of Steam though. It is convenient and cheap and there are still millions of pirates out there.

Maybe the giant lawsuits against people who were hosting illegal music files on their PC was a big part of the change to legal sources too. I haven't heard about that happening to game pirates in the mainstream news.

I think the main difference is that albums are $10 and games are $60. A $10 impulse buy is different than a $60 purchase decision. The bottom line is that as long as pirates can get a game for free on day one they are going to continue to do it no matter how convenient Steam is. I would argue that Steam is actually much more convenient than messing with torrent clients.

Looks like an Alan Wake sequel may be in the works according to a trademark filing..

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/26/alan-wake-sequel-trademark-application/

Of course nothing is confirmed because of this filing but I for one would LOVE a sequel. Without wishing to spoil, let's just say that when the game (and even the follow-up DLC) ends it's very obvious that there's more to Alan's story. I'd be interested to see what Remedy comes up with.

Looks like an Alan Wake sequel may be in the works according to a trademark filing..

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/26/alan-wake-sequel-trademark-application/

Of course nothing is confirmed because of this filing but I for one would LOVE a sequel. Without wishing to spoil, let's just say that when the game (and even the follow-up DLC) ends it's very obvious that there's more to Alan's story. I'd be interested to see what Remedy comes up with.

I still need to play the original eventually. I have had it almost as long as my gaming PC but never tried it.

Remember how early on Microsoft touted that the One could also be turned into a Dev machine, meaning ANYONE could develop on it? Yeah, still no word on when that's going to happen (read: It's NEVER going to happen.)
http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/111...-update-on-retail-xbox-ones-becoming-dev-kits

This is part of a bigger story, in that Microsoft is apparently having some sort of Spring Reveal event with news coming out about this, possible One hardware upgrades, as well as news on Quantum Break.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/11138626/xboxs-big-spring-reveal-all-the-news

Quantum Break apparently has so much video in it that it's not going on the disc. Rather, you'll have to stream it to your console/PC. The One will allow for downloading all the video locally to run off the HDD, but that's still not going to be great for those with capped data plans that need to stream so much 1080P video data.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Quantum Break apparently has so much video in it that it's not going on the disc. Rather, you'll have to stream it to your console/PC. The One will allow for downloading all the video locally to run off the HDD, but that's still not going to be great for those with capped data plans that need to stream so much 1080P video data.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Makes sense. They say that each episode is about 22 minutes, which is similar to a half hour TV show without commercials. They also say they have 40 different episodes, which ones you see depends on your choices.

When TV shows release full seasons on Blu-ray they don't typically fit on one disc. I just looked up Season 9 of The Office. It has 25 episodes and the Blu-ray set contains 5 discs, although all the episodes appear to be spread across 4 of those discs.

Quantum Break supposedly has 15 more episodes worth of video content than Season 9 of The Office. It would probably require at least 5 discs just for the video content and that isn't even including any of the game.

I would much rather stream the video than take up 250GB+ of storage on my hard drive. Not only that but the download times would be insane for digital customers and customers who buy the retail copy would have to take the time to install from 5 separate discs.

Here's some info about the latest Xbox One system update. Changes to Party size/chat, as well as finally letting One owners purchase 360 games on the console.

That's a nice looking update. I'm glad I will finally be able to just grab all the Games with Gold games for both 360 and Xbox One from my Xbox One instead of having to use the website. Another highlight for me is the way they are finally integrating Xbox 360 achievements into the Xbox One UI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)