XM / Sirius merger packages

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
I paid $70 a year for XM and I paid a lot more than that when I had sirius. I have missed Sirius ever since losing it when my truck was broken into. Hence some of you will remember me pining for the merger pretty badly. The XM radio was built into the Ridgeline though.

The new packages look good but they may not be THAT great depending on what is considered premium channels? Is there a list of "premium channels"?

Also I don't see an option for Everything Sirius... if its a true merger I would think they would make an Everything Sirius package just like they have an everything XM package.

The sad truth is... I would be good with 4 stations. NFL, rock, top 20, Jazz... the others are nice and all but I could live without them. I would hate to have to pay more money per month than a normal subscription just for the NFL channel because its considered a premium channel.

Last edited:
It's only $12.95 a month now.
You can go to SIRIUSMerger.com | XM + SIRIUS Satellite Radio = More Choices, Better Pricing, Same Radios for official info on what things will cost once the merger goes through.

Its currently 12.95 per month... they are proposing 6.95 a month for 50 channels of both services combined 25 or xm/25 of sirius.. or 40 of sirius and 10 of xm... problem is... this is only 50 channels of their "non premium" channels... I want to know what they are considering premium.

Sure it would be great to pay only 6.95 per month and get 25 of each service IF the NFL channel is one of those 50 channels.. if it isn't then things could get complicated.. for 14.95 a month you can get 100 channels combined of both service and this includes "some of the best" still thats more than a normal subscription but does it include the NFL channel.

Then they have Everything XM for 12.95. If they offered an Everything Sirius then I would imagine this would include the NFL channel and maintain its current 12.95 price....

I am just worried XM will say its an XM radio so you can't get an Everything Sirius option. Then I will have to go with some package and then pay some premium charge on top of that just to get the NFL channel.

I have friends that work at Sirius.

What they have been told is that what you can get now on your current radio will not change. BUT, if you want Sirius channels on an XM radio (or XM channels on a Sirius radio) that isn't dual provider compatible radio, you will have to buy a new radio.

I read only the new Sportster that is coming out later this summer is the only dual provider radio that had been announced so far.

However, Sirius' FAQ page regarding the merger states that "Any plan you sign up for now will be honored by the merged company." As they also have guaranteed that no radio will become obsolete, it is likely that this concern will be addressed via some new, merged signal.[29]

Thats what the Wiki says about lifetime subscribers.

Here's what's on the Sirius site regarding content from both providers on a current radio:

"Furthermore, following the merger, existing radios will all be able to receive a mix of programming from both services."

That works for me— my car has a stock Sirius unit, but I would really like to get some XM channels. Looks like I SHOULD be able to.

Here's what's on the Sirius site regarding content from both providers on a current radio:

"Furthermore, following the merger, existing radios will all be able to receive a mix of programming from both services."

That works for me— my car has a stock Sirius unit, but I would really like to get some XM channels. Looks like I SHOULD be able to.

Problem is, if its a premium channel it seems it might be a hassle or part of a package.. until they list how they are handling them and which ones they are to begin with, I am not gonna get too excited.

Well I listen to Howard alot on Sirius, and they are always saying how that site, tss radio or whatever it is, sells whatever you need to switch out the brain. If it's not that part on the link, they have it. They (Stern Show staff) always talk about the different cars they have and how they all switched the brains so it works with your factory controls. So if I was you, I'd give that tss radio place a call and just ask.

7. Should I buy a radio today or wait for a dual-service radio? I want to buy a second radio; should I wait for the new models?

There’s never been a better time to be a SIRIUS or XM subscriber. Any radios or other equipment that subscribers currently use will be fully supported by SIRIUS and XM for many years to come. Furthermore, following the merger, existing radios will all be able to receive a mix of programming from both services.

This is what ctjr quoted from above. I feel that it would be really bad if people had to upgrade their current radios to receive a mix if they wanted to. So many cars have radios built in already. I am a lifetime sub to Sirius and I want to add the baseball pack. I am wondering how much they would charge me to add that on. But it would be a huge bonus if I didn't have to upgrade the radio. Actually, I think that if they told me and other subs that they would have to upgrade to add to their current package, it would hurt their potential business. Being a sub I wouldn't want to waste one of the three lifetime radios for baseball. I'm glad to see the above quote. Now I will add more programming when they finally do merge.

7. Should I buy a radio today or wait for a dual-service radio? I want to buy a second radio; should I wait for the new models?

There’s never been a better time to be a SIRIUS or XM subscriber. Any radios or other equipment that subscribers currently use will be fully supported by SIRIUS and XM for many years to come. Furthermore, following the merger, existing radios will all be able to receive a mix of programming from both services.

This is what ctjr quoted from above. I feel that it would be really bad if people had to upgrade their current radios to receive a mix if they wanted to. So many cars have radios built in already. I am a lifetime sub to Sirius and I want to add the baseball pack. I am wondering how much they would charge me to add that on. But it would be a huge bonus if I didn't have to upgrade the radio. Actually, I think that if they told me and other subs that they would have to upgrade to add to their current package, it would hurt their potential business. Being a sub I wouldn't want to waste one of the three lifetime radios for baseball. I'm glad to see the above quote. Now I will add more programming when they finally do merge.

I think it will be easier for your situation as they will prolly have a baseball package you can add... In my situation I don't want the football package I just want the ONE NFL channel.... I could almost bet they will consider it a premium channel though :(

What happens if you subscribe BOTH services now? Does our rate go down?
I do this, in my car.

I also use the XM Traffic/Sticks and Weather data.

How is that affected?

So if we have factory XM, like I do in my truck, I won't be able to listen to Sirius?

So if we have factory XM, like I do in my truck, I won't be able to listen to Sirius?
I originally heard that people who wanted a little bit of both providers would have to upgrade to a dual compatible radio. Now it seems that any current radio will be able to receive both XM and Sirius. Which I feel will be better for business. I think you will be able to listen to Sirius but the packages have yet to be determined. We will see. The merger is taking so long, the baseball package that I want to get won't be available because baseball season will be over and done with! Lets get this merger done!

I originally heard that people who wanted a little bit of both providers would have to upgrade to a dual compatible radio. Now it seems that any current radio will be able to receive both XM and Sirius. Which I feel will be better for business. I think you will be able to listen to Sirius but the packages have yet to be determined. We will see. The merger is taking so long, the baseball package that I want to get won't be available because baseball season will be over and done with! Lets get this merger done!

The rep I talked to gave me 3 free months of XM till the merger was fully complete in august.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)