Yes in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScoBuck said:
The general public isn't going to see these - thats fantasy! Next year I wouldn't be surprised (I actually expect them to do it) if they charge extra for HD MLB games (just like super fan). they have to recoup the investment in the technology don't they?
Imagine actually recouping your losses by gaining more customers by offering more options and better service than cable. Now there's a crazy business plan. They recoup their losses every month when I pay my bill, which has steadily increased as they add more programming whether I want it to or not. Give you access one year and take it away the next is a bit of a bait and switch.

jeffnoll said:
Imagine actually recouping your losses by gaining more customers by offering more options and better service than cable. Now there's a crazy business plan. They recoup their losses every month when I pay my bill, which has steadily increased as they add more programming whether I want it to or not. Give you access one year and take it away the next is a bit of a bait and switch.

On and on............Two years ago the NFL HD games were included with ST. Last year they made a separate package (although many get it for free). Many types of new services offered by many different companies are offered for free up-front as a way of attracting customers, it is really nothing new IMO.

ScoBuck said:
On and on............Two years ago the NFL HD games were included with ST. Last year they made a separate package (although many get it for free). Many types of new services offered by many different companies are offered for free up-front as a way of attracting customers, it is really nothing new IMO.

BIG difference. Free vs Pay is one thing, not even being allowed access, regardless, is another. With the NFL ST HD games, EVERYONE still has the access to these if they choose to pay for the HD games(ie. Superfan). With YES HD, many people who had complete access to the it last year, now don't and have no option to get it back, even if they are willing to pay.

Chuck W said:
BIG difference. Free vs Pay is one thing, not even being allowed access, regardless, is another. With the NFL ST HD games, EVERYONE still has the access to these if they choose to pay for the HD games(ie. Superfan). With YES HD, many people who had complete access to the it last year, now don't and have no option to get it back, even if they are willing to pay.

What have they denied you that you already have? If you are talking next year, you will get it again - either on channel 95 as now (if the RSNs are NOT conus yet), or by paying for it if it is conus. Enough already. You are continuing about something that has not happened, no one said was going to happen, and most likely WON'T happen.

Enjoy what you have now BTW!

Everyone that got games on Channel 94 or 95 last year is STILL getting games on channel 95 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScoBuck said:
What have they denied you that you already have? If you are talking next year, you will get it again - either on channel 95 as now (if the RSNs are NOT conus yet), or by paying for it if it is conus. Enough already. You are continuing about something that has not happened, no one said was going to happen, and most likely WON'T happen.

Enjoy what you have now BTW!

No, you are ignoring what HAS ALREADY happened. People in outside of Fairfield cty, CT had full access to YES HD(whatever Directv was covering) with the sports pak, last year. This year , unless you live in Fairfield cty, regardless if you have the sports pak, those same people, no longer have full access to YES HD anymore, yet no access rules have changed, which would bar them from being allowed to receive it. That has been what this discussion has been mainly about and why it is occuring.

In response to your edit...

But they aren't receiving the full compliment of games, like they were last year. Just because a few of the games show up on the same channel, that EVERY game did(that directv covered) last year, doesn't mean they are receiving what they did last year. Come on.

Last edited:
YES, everything that was produced in HD, and was not part of your (my) local affiliate rights, was shown.

bidger` said:
I didn't have HD that Season, but was the 2004 ST HD schedule a full Season?

Chuck W said:
No, you are ignoring what HAS ALREADY happened. People in outside of Fairfield cty, CT had full access to YES HD(whatever Directv was covering) with the sports pak, last year. This year , unless you live in Fairfield cty, regardless if you have the sports pak, those same people, no longer have full access to YES HD anymore, yet no access rules have changed, which would bar them from being allowed to receive it. That has been what this discussion has been mainly about and why it is occuring.

In response to your edit...

But they aren't receiving the full compliment of games, like they were last year. Just because a few of the games show up on the same channel, that EVERY game did(that directv covered) last year, doesn't mean they are receiving what they did last year. Come on.

So far, I don't know of any games on YES-HD that were on channel 96 (MPEG4) that weren't also on channel 95 and available to ALL who were previously getting them. Name 1 game that was on channel 96 but not on 95 since the 18th.

Also, there were far fewer games on in total, I will wager that more games this year will be or have been on channel 95 MPEG2 than ALL of last year. You have lost nothing.

ScoBuck said:
So far, I don't know of any games on YES-HD that were on channel 96 (MPEG4) that weren't also on channel 95 and available to ALL who were previously getting them. Name 1 game that was on channel 96 but not on 95 since the 18th.
How about last Saturday's 4PM game in Toronto?

bidger` said:
How about last Saturday's 4PM game in Toronto?

Glad you brought THAT one up in THIS discussion, because LAST YEAR, it wouldn't have been on either as it was a road game, and I believe that there were maybe 3 or 4 road games in HD on YES (definitely a couple from Boston). Already there have been that many ROAD games on (and many more to come) on channel 95 THIS year for ALL to see - ino other words MORE not LESS.

Now, I personally don't know if this was or was NOT on channel 95 (and I take your word that it wasn't), but the main point in the discusion was losing something that was had last year. Road games were NOT (as mentioned only couple of exceptions) on for ANYONE in HD last year on YES.

ScoBuck said:
Glad you brought THAT one up in THIS discussion, because LAST YEAR, it wouldn't have been on either as it was a road game, and I believe that there were maybe 3 or 4 road games in HD on YES (definitely a couple from Boston). Already there have been that many ROAD games on (and many more to come) on channel 95 THIS year for ALL to see - ino other words MORE not LESS.

Now, I personally don't know if this was or was NOT on channel 95 (and I take your word that it wasn't), but the main point in the discusion was losing something that was had last year. Road games were NOT (as mentioned only couple of exceptions) on for ANYONE in HD last year on YES.

Actually, there where some Scott. A couple of games from Shea and Fenway IIRC.

raoul5788 said:
Actually, there where some Scott. A couple of games from Shea and Fenway IIRC.

Re-read my post - I already said this.

However, NOW there are MORE overall games on Channel 95 MPEG2 for everybody. That goes directly to the point of chucks postings.

Here is the YES-HD 2005 game info. 70 games were available OVERALL (NOT all were on DirecTV though). Of those, only 6 were road games. (5 from Boston - 1 from Shea)

Bottom line - even after the change of July 18th , there will be more YES-HD games shown this year than last year. This should answer chucks posting I believe.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/search/article_display.jsp?schema=&vnu_content_id=1000864128

here is a C&P of the 2005 schedule of HD games (not all on DirecTV):

2005 YES Network Yankees HD Schedule

April 3 BOSTON 8:05
April 5 BOSTON 1:05
April 6 BOSTON 1:05
April 8 BALTIMORE 7:05
April 9 BALTIMORE 1:05
April 10 BALTIMORE 1:05
April 11 at Boston 3:05
April 13 at Boston 7:05
April 14 at Boston 7:05
April 18 TAMPA BAY 7:05
April 19 TAMPA BAY 7:05
April 23 TEXAS 1:05
April 24 TEXAS 1:05
April 26 ANAHEIM 7:05
April 27 ANAHEIM 7:05
April 28 ANAHEIM 7:05
April 30 TORONTO 1:05

May 1 TORONTO 1:05
May 7 OAKLAND 1:05
May 8 OAKLAND 1:05
May 9 SEATTLE 7:05
May 10 SEATTLE 7:05
May 11 SEATTLE 1:05
May 22 at New York (NL) 1:10
May 24 DETROIT 7:05
May 25 DETROIT 7:05
May 27 BOSTON 7:05

June 14 PITTSBURGH 7:05
June 15 PITTSBURGH 7:05
June 16 PITTSBURGH 7:05
June 19 CHICAGO (NL) 1:05
June 20 TAMPA BAY 7:05
June 21 TAMPA BAY 7:05
June 22 TAMPA BAY 1:05
June 23 TAMPA BAY 7:05
June 24 NEW YORK (NL) 7:05
June 25 NEW YORK (NL) 4:05

July 4 BALTIMORE 1:05
July 5 BALTIMORE 1:05
July 7 CLEVELAND 7:05
July 9 CLEVELAND 4:05
July 10 CLEVELAND 1:05
July 14 at Boston 7:05
July 26 MINNESOTA 7:05
July 27 MINNESOTA 7:05
July 28 MINNESOTA 1:05
July 31 ANAHEIM 1:05

Aug. 8 CHICAGO (AL) 7:05
Aug. 9 CHICAGO (AL) 7:05
Aug. 10 CHICAGO (AL) 1:05
Aug. 11 TEXAS 7:05
Aug. 13 TEXAS 1:05
Aug. 14 TEXAS 1:05
Aug. 22 TORONTO 7:05
Aug. 23 TORONTO 7:05
Aug. 24 TORONTO 7:05
Aug. 25 TORONTO 1:05
Aug. 27 KANSAS CITY 1:05
Aug. 28 KANSAS CITY 1:05

Sept. 6 TAMPA BAY 7:05
Sept. 7 TAMPA BAY 7:05
Sept. 8 TAMPA BAY 7:05
Sept. 11 BOSTON 1:05
Sept. 19 BALTIMORE 7:05
Sept. 20 BALTIMORE 7:05
Sept. 21 BALTIMORE 7:05
Sept. 22 BALTIMORE 7:05
Sept. 24 TORONTO 1:05
Sept. 25 TORONTO 1:05

Oct. 2 at Boston 2:05

All times at ET & subject to change.

Last edited:
ScoBuck said:

However, NOW there are MORE overall games on Channel 95 MPEG2 for everybody. That goes directly to the point of chucks postings.

Jeez, now you want me to start reading posts before I respond to them? ;) Sorry for my screw up!

ScoBuck said:

<sigh> Your still missing the point. It's not about comparing the number of games, it's about having COMPLETE access to YES HD. People in CT(outside of Fairfield cty), had COMPLETE access to YES HD last year(assuming they had the sports pak). Whatever Directv covered is what they were able to see, period. That is not the case this year. Those same people in CT now have LIMITED access to YES HD. They are limited to whatever games Directv is showing as part of their EI package and that is not always the Yankees. They also have no opportunity to even buy up to get all the YES HD games because of the NYC DMA limit Directv has imposed.

That's what I'm trying to get across.

Last edited:
Actually what you had was access to channel 94 (this year on channel 95) and thats exactly what you have access to now - with much more variety, and much more programming. Sorry if you don't think that's good enough - but if it makes you that unhappy I would change to another provider that has more of what you want. I see lots of folks that are ecstatic that there are games on there BESIDES Yankee games, so I guess you can't please each of 15 million people all of the same time - NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.

Since I have been a sub of D*, there have been other channels that have been taken off, and others that have been put on - tiers have been changed (but not nearly as bad as all the changes the Cablevision put me through for sure).

The decision to add more variety on channel 95 makes sense to me. We differ in our opinion - so be it.

You are still getting more YES-HD than you were expecting a month ago - so I don't understand the complaint really.

Chuck W said:
<sigh> Your still missing the point. It's not about comparing the number of games, it's about having COMPLETE access to YES HD. People in CT(outside of Fairfield cty), had COMPLETE access to YES HD last year(assuming they had the sports pak). Whatever Directv covered is what they were able to see, period. That is not the case this year. Those same people in CT now have LIMITED access to YES HD. They are limited to whatever games Directv is showing as part of their EI package and that is not always the Yankees. They also have no opportunity to even buy up to get all the YES HD games because of the NYC DMA limit Directv has imposed.

That's what I'm trying to get across.

This time I tried to thoroughly read a post before responding....;) Anyway, IIRC there were many games on YES hd last year that D* didn't have, mostly during the NBA season when there were other hd feeds on 94 or 95.

raoul5788 said:
This time I tried to thoroughly read a post before responding....;) Anyway, IIRC there were many games on YES hd last year that D* didn't have, mostly during the NBA season when there were other hd feeds on 94 or 95.

Very true - and it was said (in a little different way though) - but still important to the matter here. Chuck wants the MPEG4 YES-HD feed where he is, but no matter how much he tell US HERE in the forum, it ain't happening (not now anyhow).

In the meantime, all of the changes mean more games for him anyhow, and he is still not happy with that either. He thinks I don't understand his point, I do - he want to be able to get the Channel 96 feed (but without MPEG4 dish or receiver anyway- which he said he will not upgrade to now) - what he needs to remind himself of is that NO ONE gets YES-HD on channel 96 WITHOUT the AT9/H20.

For those like him that have NOT upgraded to MPEG4, they have ALSO been offered MORE (for this year at least) not LESS. Bottom Line!

Also - YES- is just the first of the older MPEG2 channels that was moved to MPEG4. In the next year or so will see ALL of the current MPEG2 HD channels going over to MPEG4. Once those 2 newest birds are flying it will be TOOOOO SWEEEEET!!!!!

ScoBuck said:
he want to be able to get the Channel 96 feed (but without MPEG4 dish or receiver anyway- which he said he will not upgrade to now) - what he needs to remind himself of is that NO ONE gets YES-HD on channel 96 WITHOUT the AT9/H20.

No, I never said that. I understand I need MPEG 4, but what has been conveyed(and also proven since others have the issue) is that even if I did have MPEG 4, since I am not in the actual NYC DMA(I am in Hartford's DMA) I could not get channel 96 anyway. THAT is what my issue has been all along.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts