Yet another enthusiastic newbie with wild ideas ;-)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Certainly looks like it Shawn, thanks. I'll try modding it up and see what happens Monday when my Twinhan arrives. I think I know where to get some free wire screening to mold across the dish. If it turns out 100% useless for FTA stuff, maybe I can play with Wi-Fi a bit.... or send the thing to Cascade ;)

Edit: Woke up and realized; with the LNB being built for 2.4-2.5Ghz, and the Ku band being around 10.7 GHz to 18.4 GHz... this LNB (if that's an applicable term here) is probably useless. So step 1 for using this as any kind of FTA device would be to toss the existing LNB and purchase a new one... true?

And if true... yes, now I'd love to hear what the "best, most wonderful, highest gain" LNB available is. That's semi-affordable. And do any existing setups have have something compatible? I was hunting down DirecPC dishes earlier becuase (as I understand it) they can function in Ku. So.. would buying a replacement LNB for a DirecPC dish from the poor old fellow up the road give me a shot in hell of having a usable dish? I know, I know, the reflector would have to be modified, the LNB lined up just perfect, and the phase of the moon just right... lol.

TIA. Remember, this is a fun little project. I don't expect it to work better than the WineGard; I'd be happy to make it recieve anything off G10 just for "look what I did!" rights :cool:

Invacom is where it's at :)
And yes, you're right - send it to me, I'm sure we could work out a nice trade on something I have floating round my office.

Oooh, what do you have floating about the office? Keep in mind I'm a do-it-myself project-loving kind of guy who's into FTA. An old C/Ku lnb from a discarded BUD, or maybe certain pc components would have me happily shipping this 2.4 Ghz to you ;)

Funny I also have this dish. I have a number of others so I have not bothered remessing it. I am sure you know BUT I will write it anyways. Get the alum screen not the fiberglass. With that said it should turn out to be a small prime focus dish so look for that kind of LNB to put on it.

Good luck and keep us posted with pics.

CharredPC said:
Sure:
dish_project.jpg

Hope that works...
if not the picture's here:
http://www.dwarchive.net/dish_project.jpg

Iceberg said:
Rick
I was thinking of something last night with the DirecPC dish

If it has the DBS LNB (the pencil one) to the left of the KU band you could turn the dish upside down and get BOTH 121 & 119.

Right now KU is at 121 and DBS is at 123
but if you invert it it would be at 121 and DBS at 119 :)

But it's a thought if you want to eliminate a dish

Nope, it must be an older one as it only has the KU band LNB. I can say that it is picking up 121W great.. I am thinking about picking up the second one my friend has as well. It may have a different LNB.. Which getting 121 and 119 would serve one of my wife hopes, in that I would take down the small Dish Net dish.. And only have the 2 KU Dishes. See can have some level of hope? Well... Perhaps not. ;)

ken2400 said:
With that said it should turn out to be a small prime focus dish so look for that kind of LNB to put on it.

Good luck and keep us posted with pics.

So, are prime focus lnb's 'universal' Ku band (FTA compatable?) I saw a few on ebay awhile back... If Cascade doesn't get it off me (which it looks like he very well might) I'll post pictures of my mods.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts