Yet another newbie just getting started...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Pointed properly but...

Okay, so I repointed the whole thing at my southernmost satellite (AMC5, 79W). That seems to work well as when I point to AMC3, I get excellent signal also, so it appears that I'm on the arc.

However, something very strange is going on. This morning, when I was pointing, I was using USALS and the system was moving the motor automatically when I chose another satellite. Tonight, no automatic movement. I can move the dish from the Antenna Setup menu, under Positioner, by chosing DiSEqc 1.2 and moving East or West. I can Save the settings, but when I change to another satellite, it says moving the dish to XXX, but doesn't move! :confused:

It appears to time out and the "moving to" message disappears, but no motion.

Also, the Goto Ref menu item, which worked this morning, doesn't move the motor...

I tried resetting the receiver to factory and I also reset the motor (paperclip in the reset hole for 2 seconds, yellow LED blink, then back to green).

If the motor is bad, I wouldn't expect it to moving using the onscreen manual controls...

I'm so close, yet I'm still basically stuck on one satellite :(

Any ideas or do I have a bad motor, a bad receiver, or something else?

Thanks in advance...

You entered your lat and longitude info into it, right? Beyond that, I don't know what else you can check. Hopefully someone else who has this motor will pop in for you and help.

When you use the paperclip to reset the motor, make sure you do this with the motor at reference ('0'), or your arc will be off.

Try to move the motor using the manual button on the motor. If that works, move it to exactly '0' and then do the paperclip reset.

You entered your lat and longitude info into it, right? Beyond that, I don't know what else you can check. Hopefully someone else who has this motor will pop in for you and help.

For USALS, yes. For the DiSEqc, it doesn't prompt for latitude/longitude, it only wants me to move to a position and save it.

Its weird that it lets me drive it one way or another, but won't command it when time to move the dish...

Try to move the motor using the manual button on the motor. If that works, move it to exactly '0' and then do the paperclip reset.

Thanks Tron. The motor can be moved manually without problem. I can drive it one way or another just fine.

I did move it to zero, or as close as I could visually determine with the dish in the way :)

When I set to zero and do the paperclip reset, I get the yellow LED blink, then it goes back to green. I power down the receiver, wait, then power back up, but no joy :(

I appreciate the input and will keep searching. I'll also call Sadoun this morning and inquire.

Any other ideas?

Firmware issue?

Okay, so I tried again.

I moved the motor east and west manually (at the motor). I moved it to zero and did a reset.

At the receiver, I went to DiSEqc positioner mode and disabled limits at each satellite (just to be sure). Again, I can move from the set up screen. When I switch to a satellite, it says moving to XXX. But no movement.

I called Sadoun and they will allow me to RMA the motor and will test it. If it is okay, they won't refund without a restock fee and I am okay with that. I may do that and get a new one shipped in the meantime. I really hate the thought of pulling everything all apart :(

I did check the receiver and wanted to check something out.

I have the Fortec Lifetime Classic NA and my System information screen shows SW Version as 1.1 Nov 15, 2006. The Fortec site lists the latest firmware as LifeClassicFTA_375SUA_XPA_NOX_XL_060206.

Can anyone with a Fortec Lifetime Classic NA tell me their current SW version?

If this box has been hacked (it was acquired used via Craigslist), can I simply reload the factory BIN? If it is hacked, could it have affected the motor control?

Before I RMA the motor I want to eliminate as many other possibilities as possible.

Thanks...

Ordered a new motor...

I'm going to RMA the first motor. :( I hope to have the new one by Thanksgiving so I'll have some time to play around with it before I send the first one back.

I may still try to reload the Fortec firmware and try again before the motor arrives. If it is the receiver at fault, I guess I'll keep the first motor as a spare.
:)

If the firmware is hacked, that might be the problem. Hackers don't have much need for motor movement...

As for aligning the motor to '0' with a dish mounted, I know how difficult that can be. Its hard to see the front of the motor. What I do is to use a smooth, polished reflective surface (a knife blade works very well) to act as a mirror and reflect the front of the motor at an angle I can see. Works great :)

If the firmware is hacked, that might be the problem. Hackers don't have much need for motor movement...

It can't hurt to try to reload the factory firmware (as long as the update goes smoothly). It will give me something to do while waiting for the new motor.

I guess I can always manually motor around and start scanning some satellites, but it just seems painful to do it that way. I'd almost rather wait until I'm back in action again before I put a lot of time into this.

I reloaded the factory firmware successfully. I went back out to the dish with TV and receiver in tow. After a motor reset, it steers the dish again! :D

It WILL NOT work with the DiSEqc switch between the motor and the LNB!

It also seems that I have to reset the motor and "Go to Reference" if I kill the power to the receiver (not standby), after which it steers properly again.

I still have the new motor on the way, but as long as I use the single linear LNB and don't turn off the power to the receiver, I AM SCANNING TPs!!!:D

A challenging hobby, this FTA...

Sounds like the first time I was trying to setup my motorized dish. I had no issues scanning with the ghetto move method. A few days later I added the motor and it wouldn't move. Why? The friggin analog inline satellite meter I had.

I'm up and running!

Thanks to everyone for their helpful guidance and suggestions.

I now have the SG-2100 (plus a spare on the way :rolleyes:) moving my Primestar dish with the QPH-031 and a working DiSEqc switch.

I'm not even sure why it is working. The motor seems to survive powering down of the receiver now :confused: without a reset and amazingly enough, the DiSEqc switch is working so that I can hit both linear and circular transponders!

I'm still suspicious of the motor, but with a second one on the way, I can always swap it out.

I still have to permanently mount the motor/dish and choose an HD receiver.

Again, thanks to all. Now, where did I leave that Lyngsat listing again :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)