Yet another noob thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Ok, so my max distance thread kind of sputtered out, but I've decided on a different course of action for now anyway. Instead of jumping in head first into a motorized setup, I'm going to put an LNB on an old primestar dish that is still mounted from way back when we actually had primestar. I've attached pics below, it's the 1m round (not oval) dish. The LNB is gone, but the feedhorn is still there.

Some questions:
1. It's still a good distance away from the house, in terms of where I have to route the coax. It never had problems with primestar, so I'm assuming the distance with some good cable won't be a problem? It won't be motorized.

2. What LNBs will mount either to that feedhorn or in it's place? I was thinking of one of the red sattracker IIs, but then I saw this one at sadoun: QPH-031 Invacom 0.3dB DBS and VSAT LNBs plus VSAT Ku Band Transmitters - BUCs, Receive Satellite TV, Quad CP LP 2-way Satellite communications Will that mount in that black ring if I take the primestar feedhorn out? I like that LNB, it seems like it'd give me maximum flexibility with picking up the few free things on DBS (mainly NASA) as well as other stuff, especially if I motorize it or get a new dish in the future. The redhead sattracker II should mount there just fine, shouldn't it?

3. what is a good USB tuner? I'd like to be able to use my computer to aim the dish, but also capture video and/or screen shots. I found a few on ebay and wonder if anyone has any opinions on the models: USB 2.0 DVB-S Satellite HDTV TV receiver FTA FREE SHIP - eBay (item 350136736894 end time Mar-06-09 10:21:01 PST) or GeniaTech Satellite DVB-S FTA USB Receiver HDTV - eBay (item 330303430523 end time Feb-24-09 20:52:30 PST) or Match Box Pro USB Satellite receiver - FTA- HD - eBay (item 220300578521 end time Feb-21-09 10:14:50 PST)

I promise I won't be a noob forever :) thanks guys for all the help so far

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
From what I've read you should be good to at least 200' with no issues, assuming you've got good cables/connectors.

I don't know anything about that Invacom but I believe someone (turbosat?) has used the redhead LNB's on a 1m P*, with good results. I've got one on my .9m ABN dish and it has been troublefree.

1. Motor and switch control is the issue with coax quality and distance. 200 feet with quad shiel RG6 should not be an issue.

2. You will lose performance if changing out the feedhorn that is matched to the dish. Go with a QDH-031 instead. It will match up to the feedhorn and provide better performance than the QPH-031.

3. USB tuners do not have the performance of a STB. SOmeone else will be better qualified to rate between these units.

Ok, so I found a local guy who is going to sell me an LNB and a mercury 2 receiver. I am gonna try this setup to get started, but I think I might go for the 2-way LNB later when I motorize it.

As SatelliteAV said, you'll lose some signal if you use an LNBF (integrated feedhorn LNB) in place of the original feedhorn. It will work (I have the same Channel Master 1 meter dish, and I had a Fortec FSKU-V LNBF on it until I purchased the original feedhorn for that dish on Fleabay). My quality improved noticeably, though, once I ditched the Fortec LNBF for the proper feedhorn. If I were you, I'd slap a stacked FSS LNB from a Superdish on that feedhorn. It'll match up perfectly (C-120 flange), and you won't have to worry about the length of the cable run possibly affecting polarity switching.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts