Your HD DVD/Blu-ray purchase plans?

What are your HD DVD/Blu-ray purchase plans?

• I am thinking of buying HD DVD

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • I am thinking of buying Blu-ray

Votes: 33 13.6%
  • I am planning to buy both formats

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I am thinking of buying a dual-format player even if it is much more expensive

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I will wait for a clear winner, even if it takes years

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I will wait until prices come down

Votes: 68 28.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 10.3%

• Total voters
Alan Gordon said:
Bill Hunt, of The Digital Bits interview with Pioneer's Andy Parsons.

~Alan
\
Thats nice but just how many people have equipment that can really see a difference of quality that is above that of 19mbps 1920x1080i???? Under mpeg2 Blu ray is a waste and, my god when you put it into Mpeg4 format Blu ray is an enormous waste of money per disk. It will have backup applications for sure. But for that is where its future lies unless you think they will place 2 movies on a disk under mpeg2 or even more under mpeg4. Dual layer HD DVD Seems like the perfect fit for HD movies IMO.

HD Dvd all way

HD Dvd is out next month and is MPEG 4, Blue Ray majortiy of studios are releasing in MPEG 2. With almost some bits per second, MPEG 4 provides a more better picture. HD DVd is going to win in my opinion . SOny is late with everything, late with Blue ray, late with Playstation 3. Late is not good, plus HD Dvd has suppport of Microsoft , and Intel, which are the operatiing system in the billions of computers in the world, forget playstation 3.

I think they are both going to fail to gain 1/10th the adoption rate of DVD as people are going to resist paying more for draconian copy protection, the elimination of guaranteed compatibility with analog component inputs, and higher prices.

I'd love a better picture and sound due to lower compression, but two formats will kill them both out of the gate or delay the tranistion for years.

HD DVD has the right idea by diving for a lower price point right out of the gate to try and steal the market before Sony can get 20 million of them installed with the PS3. They singlehandedly created the market for the PSP movie format which has been a bigger success than many envisioned, so they should not be taken lightly.

However, many early adopters will sit on the sidelines and put the stench of failure on both unless they can realize the error of their ways and unify the formats.

calikarim said:
HD Dvd is out next month and is MPEG 4, Blue Ray majortiy of studios are releasing in MPEG 2. With almost some bits per second, MPEG 4 provides a more better picture. HD DVd is going to win in my opinion . SOny is late with everything, late with Blue ray, late with Playstation 3. Late is not good, plus HD Dvd has suppport of Microsoft , and Intel, which are the operatiing system in the billions of computers in the world, forget playstation 3.

From what I have read, the specs are much tighter on the BR and its going to be difficult to manufacture. It will require a whole new assembly line process to make the BR discs.. In comparison, HD DVD will require a fraction of investment to convert existing lines over. Plus as I understand it, BR is not backward compatible.. That is a huge drawback.. How many people are going to have the space in their rack for two dvd players.. and all the extra inputs on their TV to handle them? I know my HD TV does not have enough inputs to hold two DVD players and my satellite receiver.. And lets face it, everyone has DVD's and they will be around for years to come.. The need for backward compatibility is big.

Because BR has very tight specs on the laser.. they may be more unstable and prone to a higher failure rate.. This is a whole new technology with completely new processes to build. HD DVD is based on older DVD techology with specs that are less prone to failure. BR is more difficult to manufacture.... there is no two ways about it.. just do a search on how BR has to bend the laser and the technical hurdles it must over come. It will be interesting if BR manufactures can over come all these challenges in production. Not only must they over come these challenges.. but they need to do so very quickly.. since HD-DVD is already about to ship.. Furthermore, BR will not only have to ship soon.. but they have to deliver at or below HD-DVD price points.. Don't think that BR will win if their players cost hundreds more.. Forget about early adopters that may say the cost is worth going with BR.. thats BS.. The masses that buy these machines are motivated by PRICE.. just like everything else.. In electronics everything is PRICE DRIVEN.. People are used to buying cheap DVD players.

So far most of the pro BR folks are looking at the specs and capacity of BR and drawing up conclusions.. But the reality is that BR will most likely fail because of real world economics and ongoing issues with retooling and converting existing processes over to BR.. From what I have read.. HD-DVD will be able to ramp up capacity much faster in both discs and hardware.. I think that DVD HD will catch on very early and HD DVD will be able to meet production needs for media and hardware... BR has a uphill battle.. First they will come out after HD-DVD... they continue to be plagued with R and D issues.. Samsung has delayed their BR machine due to java OS issues.. PS3 is still delayed... The tighter specs will no doubt cause manufacturing issues and delays on the production line.. I used to work at motorola and believe me, anytime you introduce new technology.. tighter specs on anything will spell trouble when trying to ramp up production numbers..

I suspect Sony will take a loss on PS3 sales and will subsidize high manufacturing costs just to get BR out. But I don't think Sony will be able to overcome the difficulties for other manufactures like samsung who are still working out problems with their BR machines... and I still doubt that the labels will be able to ramp up BR discs in sufficient numbers to meet demands.... I just don't think Sony and their backers are going to be able to get their sh*t together fast enough to put their BR on the market.

I think that BR would succeed if it were up to the early adopters.. It appears to me that many people who are keeping up with HD techology may be leaning towards BR.. But those few early adopters are not going to save BR.. Only the average Joe in the masses will determine BR fate.. and I think BR will go out with the beta max.
Which brings me to my last point.. if BR was backed buy another company besides Sony,, I may be more excited.. But with all their restrictive past with Altrac, rootkits on audio cds.. memory sticks.. I just don't like them. I just feel that the possibilities for BR to become more restrictive with DRM is more likely over HD-DVD.
That may not be true, but Sony has not been much of a consumer advocate in the past in DRM issues.. In fact, Sony's past actions is rather dark and bleak in those areas.

BobMurdoch said:
However, many early adopters will sit on the sidelines and put the stench of failure on both unless they can realize the error of their ways and unify the formats.

Since BR is such a different format over DVD HD.. there will be no unified format.. never.. But I believe there will be two formats for some time.. Hopefully one will prevail over the other.. because if we have two formats.. the title availability will be poor. And early adoption will be slow as well if both formats exist.

I also agree with you about the component output ICT flags problem.. I have component output myself and I really want that toshiba HD DVD player.. Its really frustrating.. Even if the initial titles don't have the ICT flag.. they can put them on anytime in the future... not alot of consumer trust in that one... This really makes me mad.. I wonder how many HDTV sets would be down rez with ICT? I just bought my Sharp LCD HD 1080i set one year ago.. it only has component. :(

calikarim said:
HD Dvd is out next month and is MPEG 4, Blue Ray majortiy of studios are releasing in MPEG 2.

Wondering where you found that info. I hadn't heard that and it seems strange that Sony wouldn't use the better compression. Seems like a waste of space.

I ordered HD-DVD. I'm partial to Toshiba.

The two formats are still dead even in our poll!

Out of 160 votes, only 19 of us are going to buy Blu-ray, the way it stands, and another 19 are certain about getting an HD DVD.
The big majority is either undecided or is thinking about getting both formats:

30 are going to get both formats or a dual-format player if it becomes available;
70 are going to wait and see, and another 22 simply have no idea.

I have a feeling that the 2 formats will be around for ~2 years and then HDDVD will win. Most likely I'll go with HDDVD, but I'll wait until the 2nd generation players are out (cheaper and better).

Okay crystal ball time. It won't matter a player will be built that supports both formats and the titles will be provided by kiosk in stores instead of factories in china.

So what. There are combo players for DVD Audio/SACD and the market has completely ignored them.

Dueling formats never works UNLESS you have a complete failure by one of them that removes them from the equation (think Divx). Once Divx went away DVD exploded in popularity.

The billions the AV companies invested in Next Gen media will be totally wasted if one of them doesn't blink since online delivery of media content threatens to surpass them once Fios puts massive bandwidth into the hands of consumers.

I can watch HD content on my DVR now. Yes I have to wait a few more months for it to hit HBO or Showtime, but I can survive just fine without either new format.

Call me when you two grow a brain........

bommai said:
PS: I am hoping Apple will come out with a nice media center that will allow me to enjoy my digital content without Windows annoyance. I am still dreaming :)

Too bad Apple wouldn't be able to play half the movies, namely the VC1 (WMVHD)-encoded ones, unless licenses it from Microsoft which will probably happen right after Hell frozen over.:D

Apart from this currently Apple has no such unit - Mini is a joke, a PoS, can't even play a 720p video, maybe Mini2 with Pentium-M - and OS X is not only a memory hog but Apple has nothing similar like Windows Media Center 2005.

BTW I found really awful the idea to pay Apple at least twice as much as any HD-DVD player would cost to get a stupid Mac-logo'ed box to do the same. ;)
My Snazio Net DVD Cinema HD player goes around $350 and already plays more than a $500-$800 Mac Mini will ever play. :D

Last edited:
BobMurdoch said:
So what. There are combo players for DVD Audio/SACD and the market has completely ignored them.

Both are still virtually unknown, are targeting a very narrow niche market etc etc. I doubt it's a viable analogy to the upcoming HD war.

Dueling formats never works UNLESS you have a complete failure by one of them that removes them from the equation (think Divx). Once Divx went away DVD exploded in popularity.

Ummm what?
Correct me if I'm wrong but Divx is very much around and more popular than ever before: during the last 2 years now *all* the brand name companies are offering Divx-enabled DVD players - see http://www.divx.com/products/products.php

I think Divx never been a competitor of DVD but Divx came from the online world and apparently was able to pull itself together to convince the big mfrs to start building on it.
I have a feeling Divx has a long future - definitely longer than DVD has which has been already doomed, as we all know it. :)

DivX

When the DVD format was first launched, not all studios supported it. Fox, Disney and some others decided to go a different route and yet another video disc format was launched soon after DVD. It was called Divx. It was primarily supported by and distributed through Circuit City stores. Divx followed a pay-per-view approach: you buy a Divx disc for just 4-5 bucks, and then you can watch the movie for a short time (I believe it was 48 hours) starting when the disk is first inserted in the Divx player. Then when you want to watch it again you buy another 48 hours, and so on...

At that time, a lot of video enthusiasts (myself included) voiced their protest against the Divx and boycotted Circuit City. Divx (as a disc format) slowed down acceptance of DVD as a standard, but fortunately Divx didn't live too long and has been abandoned pretty soon.

Today, DivX is just a video compression format.

Um....

DivX is the video codec and some new players are adding it to their compatibility like MP3 and WMA. Not to be confused with.......

DIVX is the old competing disc format that is PAST dead. It was DOA!

Standard info/history.

Ilya said:
When the DVD format was first launched, not all studios supported it. Fox, Disney and some others decided to go a different route and yet another video disc format was launched soon after DVD. It was called DivX. It was primarily supported by and distributed through Circuit City stores. DivX followed a pay-per-view approach: you buy a DivX disc for just 4-5 bucks, and then you can watch the movie for a short time (I believe it was 48 hours) starting when the disk is first inserted in the DivX player. Then when you want to watch it again you buy another 48 hours, and so on...

At that time, a lot of video enthusiasts (myself included) voiced their protest against the DivX and boycotted Circuit City. DivX (as a disc format) slowed down acceptance of DVD as a standard, but fortunately DivX didn't live too long and has been abandoned pretty soon.

Today, DivX is just a video compression format.

Ahhhh, I see. I missed that period completely - I was in Europe, there wasn't anything like that. :)

PS: I remember this limited playback story but I thought it had some different name, not divx... anyway, it's good to know. :)

Chinese will come up with dual-format players within 18 months after Japanese bring both formats to the market. And the Chinese players would be cheaper. All patents aside.....

If some of what I've heard about HD-DVD is true versus Blu-Ray with some format Blu-Ray is using I'll definitely pick HD-DVD. Basically what matters to me is the picture quality and space, but if you get rid of PQ I don't care how much extra space it has it'll still look like crap. From what I've heard Blu-Ray is using some Windows tech. that will make the picture look like crap because it has better copyright protection. I have to say it's a shame with Blu-Ray considering if they got the extra space done in regular manufacturing facilities finally this format would be ideal for TV box sets as well as movie trilogies and so forth.
Also what I'm hoping is an All Region HD-DVD player will come out in the next 6 months since I hope to have the ability to play Korean and Chinese HD-DVD's as well. Also one more I want is 1080p which I'm hearing both will have standard. I'll tolerate my TV downsampling the res. to 1080i res. if I don't feel I have to buy a new high res. set for a LONG while.

Last edited:
Combo Players.

BobMurdoch said:

The billions the AV companies invested in Next Gen media will be totally wasted if one of them doesn't blink since online delivery of media content threatens to surpass them once Fios puts massive bandwidth into the hands of consumers.

I can watch HD content on my DVR now. Yes I have to wait a few more months for it to hit HBO or Showtime, but I can survive just fine without either new format.

Call me when you two grow a brain........
I am not shure if you are saying that Combo DVD players are being ignored? Or if you are saying DVD Audio and Super Audio CD are being completely ignored? Well i for one would like to see a Combo HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)