Audio issues

Acerone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Long Island
My first HD DVD viewing with my player and I noticed the audio was very low. Any tips to fix this?

Update. Only had the problem with The Last Samurai and not Serenity. Serenity sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
Low as in how? Volume? Are you using 2.0 TV speakers, pro logic, or actual multi-channel audio; what type of multi-channel (if using) and how are you connected. There can be so many variables and options, including a low output level from the player, but the simplest is to just adjust the volume level; make sure any multi-channel levels are flat, not lowered.

Last edited:
Correct as in the volume is low and I'm using the TV speakers. I can't understand why Serenity would sounds so good and The Last Samurai sound so awful.

I have also, noticed very significant audio volume variations between discs. Very strange.

Another weird thing is that the audio data stream from all HD DVD discs is DTS, not DD, as one would expect.

Here's what dvdtown has to say about the audio.

Audio:
The English soundtrack is available on the HD-DVD in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. The DD Plus business is Dolby labs' newest addition to the Dolby Digital family, providing, they say, the benefits of up to 7.1 channels and maintaining quality at more efficient bit rates. I listened through the analogue audio 5.1-channel surround function of my Toshiba HD-A1, and I found the sound could hardly be faulted (except that it is lower in volume than the regular edition's DD 5.1 track, and slightly more noise is introduced into the sound). As in the standard-definition version, there is a strong dynamic impact throughout the film; a firm, deep bass, never overused even during combat sequences; and a realistic tonal balance. In addition, the surround channels are used to good effect from the very beginning of the film with the sound of streetcar bells and noises behind and to the sides of the listening area. Then, the expected sounds of gunshots, rain, and thunder later envelope the room. In comparison to the regular DD 5.1 on the SD disc, the DD Plus seemed just as open, just as dynamic, with maybe slightly more top end. Now, if it weren't for the volume level....