125 issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Very odd readings. I must have a bad dish or something.

My PBS dish is fixed...for the record.

12180V comes in @ 75%

12140V comes in @ 2%

Notice they are the same polarity and this just doesn't check out. Any ideas?

While on 12140V standing behind the dish......push the dish gentle up and down, left to right to see if the signal improves. Also adjust the LNB by moving it backwards and forward and see if there is an improvement in quality. Don't forget to check for skew errors.

Yea, for sure. I'm still getting the same problems. I'm outside as we speak and I'm directly connecting the 8100 to the dish.

12180 - 99%
12140 - 1% if any at all.

I'm gonna input all other frequencies listed on Lyngsat just make sure I'm not crazy.

I was kind of waiting to see how this thread pan'd out, since I was using my dish for other sats the last couple days, and also waiting to see if the OP would respond to Ice's question of whether the PBS programming was actually coming in on 12180. \
However I checked MY AMC-21 reception, and there does seem to be an anomoly with respect to 12140, despite the fact that it's coming in error free for me.
I'm using a fixed Primestar dish on AMC-21, and it's giving me quite strong signal AND quality on 12180. On 12140, the signal level is about the same as 12180, however the quality is SIGNIFICANTLY lower. Not bad enough to stop me from getting a lock and getting good reception on the channels, but the quality is much worse.
I ran a blscan spectrum, and the two signals (12140 and 12180) look pretty much the same hight and shape, so it would seem that the only explanation would be interferrence that's degrading the quality on 12140.
Lyngsat listed a Hughesnet channel on 12140V/30000 on the adjacent G13, so I think it is likely that it could be interferring with the PBS channel of the same freq/SR on AMC-21. Ice had mentioned a hughesnet signal on 12180 , but I'm not seeing that, nor do I see it listed in Lyngsat.
Anyway, I checked with my 90cm dish (which is partially blocked by my garage on that sat), and the Hughesnet signal is still there at 12140V/30000. So I think that interferrence from the Hughesnet signal is probably responsible for 12140 having worse quality than 12180.
My C-band dish happened to be sitting on G13 at the time, so even though it does a terrible job on Ku, I decided to look at the spectrum from the Ku side of it. I could see the 12140 Hughesnet signal, however there was an extremely strong narrow band spike right in the middle of it, which is strange. It's possible that I'm seeing a birdie in my system that just happens to be right at 12140. I then looked at a spectrum from my 90CM on G13/H1, and it also shows the same spike. The spike sort of looks like the center of an analog channel, or perhaps an unmodulated carrier, but it's superimposed right on top of the 12140 signal.
I am getting the Ku signal from both the BUD, the 90CM, and my Primestar all through the same 4x1 DiseqC switch, so it's possible that the birdie is actually coming from something else in there (actually the circular port of my Invacom Quad also feeds into that switch.
Anyway, short of removing the switch, and looking for the source of this narrow signal, I'm wondering if anyone with a spectrum analyzer is seeing this narrow peak at 12140V on G13/H1? It's probably in my system, and it's probably responsible for MY low quality on the PBS HD channels, and the Hughesnet transponder is probably responsible for the poor signal for the original poster.

ANYWAY, is anyone else with a spectrum analyzer seeing a narrow signal on top of the Hughesnet signal???

EDIT: Additional data point. THe 12140 spike is NOT visible when I view the AMC-21 V spectrum from my fixed Primestar, which comes through the same DiseqC switch, however I recorded that before moving the 90CM to 127, and before powering up the Ku lnb on the BUD. All ports from the diseqC switch go through first my Diamond, then the Twinhan before being spectrum scanned by my Broadlogic, so there is plenty of potential for birdies appearing from the multiple connections, but I only saw them on the 90CM and BUD ports.

Last edited:
ANYWAY, is anyone else with a spectrum analyzer seeing a narrow signal on top of the Hughesnet signal???

I looked at 12140 with my 1.2 m GEOSatPro pointed at both AMC21 and G13. I'm not seeing spikes at those positions, regardless of the video bandwidth or integration on the spectrum analyzer. The 1.2 m has a beamwidth of 1.4 degrees, which does a good job taking care of the HughesNet transponder on G13. However if I steer to G27 I see a spike that comes and goes at 12137.

I'm not having any problems with HD01/HD02. My DVB World 2104 is reporting in excess of 24 dB SNR with Linux drivers, which would be at least 95% SQ if I plugged it into Windows.

It's always possible you are seeing spurs on two of your three dishes because of level differences and perhaps saturation.

I looked at 12140 with my 1.2 m GEOSatPro pointed at both AMC21 and G13. I'm not seeing spikes at those positions, regardless of the video bandwidth or integration on the spectrum analyzer. The 1.2 m has a beamwidth of 1.4 degrees, which does a good job taking care of the HughesNet transponder on G13. However if I steer to G27 I see a spike that comes and goes at 12137.

Thanks. My BUD has pretty bad sidelobes on Ku, and the 90CM's lnbf isn't positioned properly, so it picks up signals from nearby sats too, so I'm probably seeing the spike you say is on G27, although I'm seeing it around 12141. Either that or a birdy in my system. I probably should bypass my switch and 2 receivers, and go directly to the Broadlogic. Perhaps tomorrow.
Thanks.

Techno, B.J. and Pendragon,

I don't have a spec analyzer to check it out that way, but I definitely see a large difference between these two TPs on my Coolsat 5K. The SQ for 12.180 is reading 92% but the SQ for 12.140 is reading 70%

RADAR

I don't have a spec analyzer to check it out that way, but I definitely see a large difference between these two TPs on my Coolsat 5K. The SQ for 12.180 is reading 92% but the SQ for 12.140 is reading 70%

What kind/size of dish are you measuring these with? I'm seeing basically the same performance on 12140 and 12180 (both high 90s SQ), so it's possible your beamwidth is picking up some of G13 at 12140.

What kind/size of dish are you measuring these with? I'm seeing basically the same performance on 12140 and 12180 (both high 90s SQ), so it's possible your beamwidth is picking up some of G13 at 12140.

Hi Pendragon,

I have a Winegard DS-2076 (76 cm) dish. The LNBF is an Invacom QPH-031. Motor is a Power Tech DG-280 and the receiver is Coolsat 5000. I am located a bit NW of Omaha, NE.

RADAR

I have a Winegard DS-2076 (76 cm) dish. The LNBF is an Invacom QPH-031. Motor is a Power Tech DG-280 and the receiver is Coolsat 5000. I am located a bit NW of Omaha, NE.

The DS-2076 is a fine dish (I have three of the nearly identical DS-2077) but its beamwidth is 2.4 degrees. That isn't going to give you a lot of rejection of the HughesNet transponder on G13 that's also 12140 V with a high SR. You might get a bit higher SR on 12140 for AMC21 by steering a little to the east, although it sounds like you're doing fine.

The DS-2076 is a fine dish (I have three of the nearly identical DS-2077) but its beamwidth is 2.4 degrees. That isn't going to give you a lot of rejection of the HughesNet transponder on G13 that's also 12140 V with a high SR. You might get a bit higher SR on 12140 for AMC21 by steering a little to the east, although it sounds like you're doing fine.

Thanks,

Yes, for most sats and most TPs I am doing fine with reception. The speciific TP that the OP mentioned to have trouble with is weak for me, but the channels on that TP must also be HD MPEG4 as I cannot view them.

They do not show scrambled, but the video is messed up, I just asume that athey are HD and my CS 5K is not capable of receiving them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.