$199 Uninstall

diydish

Original poster
May 20, 2005
When I cancelled Dish they wanted me to ship everything back to them in the cartons they sent. I told them I'm not gathering up 4 boxes and a quad LNB, packing them using my tape and taking them to a UPS drop-off center for nothing. I told them they brought the equipment and installed it and since it's their stuff they need to come and get it off my property. They said they would come and uninstall everything for a $199 fee. I told them they were crazy. I'm not paying you to come get your own stuff. They said okay. And that was that. I haven't heard anything from them for over a week.

You better read your agreement.

It states that "You" are responsible and shall bear all costs and expenses to return such equipment to Dish network. IF YOU FAIL TO RETURN SUCH EQUIPMENT AS SET FORTH HEREIN, YOU AGREE TO PAY AN UNRETURNED EQUIPMENT CHARGE FOR EACH ITEM NOT RETURNED AS FOLLOWS (I used caps because it is capitalized in your agreement).522 $300; 322, 510 & 811 $200; 111, 301, 311 $100; quad $100.

Just request a return tag and send the equipmnet back in the original boxes. The tech should have left them there. It's not that big a deal.

Dave nye said:
You better read your agreement.

It states that "You" are responsible and shall bear all costs and expenses to return such equipment to Dish network. IF YOU FAIL TO RETURN SUCH EQUIPMENT AS SET FORTH HEREIN, YOU AGREE TO PAY AN UNRETURNED EQUIPMENT CHARGE FOR EACH ITEM NOT RETURNED AS FOLLOWS (I used caps because it is capitalized in your agreement).522 $300; 322, 510 & 811 $200; 111, 301, 311 $100; quad $100.

Just request a return tag and send the equipmnet back in the original boxes. The tech should have left them there. It's not that big a deal.
Actually Dave DIYDISH sounds like enough of an A**hole that he would rather get charged a $1000 than follow the contract he signed. :)

Its not that big of a deal to pack up the recievers and send them in. If they are asking for the dish that could be annoying to have to get on the roof. If they insist on the dish, tell them u might come back to them soon so you dont want to have to take it down and put it back up again. Good luck

Wow! I'm a butthole that they hope will get burned. Thanks guys!

The fact is, fellas, I'm not the person on who signed up for the account. The guy that did that is deceased. Now what's the agreement say about that?

I'm not a flunky to the corporate bullies running this world. They don't have me shaking in my shoes fretting they'll charge me a thousand bucks. Like I said before it's their stuff and they can come get it, that is if they want it. And they ain't gettin' $199 to do it.

It sounds like you need to chill.
If it is a realative that has died I am sorry. If you are the one resposible for their affairs, I would send the equipment back. Dish still can come after the estate.

Again just request a return tag and drop the boxes off at UPS. No Big Deal.

No need for name calling folks.

I would send the equipment back and just get rid of the headache.

Or just mark their letters as return to sender deceased on the envelope. :D

This is basically the same as a cable box, you have to take it back to the office when you cancel.

I am curious on one thing though. Why does dish want the LNB or dish back? Other than using it for hacked receivers and such. Dish installers put the dish in in some pretty crazy spots around my area (peak of a two story cape cod or on the peak of an A Frame) and I sure as heck wouldn't want to climb up there just for that.

I understand the receivers, but can someone enlighten me on the other stuff?

SatinKzo said:
This is basically the same as a cable box, you have to take it back to the office when you cancel.

I am curious on one thing though. Why does dish want the LNB or dish back? Other than using it for hacked receivers and such. Dish installers put the dish in in some pretty crazy spots around my area (peak of a two story cape cod or on the peak of an A Frame) and I sure as heck wouldn't want to climb up there just for that.

I understand the receivers, but can someone enlighten me on the other stuff?

The LNBF is expensive. Pure and simple. Dishes are a piece of metal that's expendable but LNBF's are a bit more expensive to make and to give to a customer. Plus, when a new resident moves in, DISH Network doesn't want to give an entirely new dish for that new resident/customer. It allows DISH Network to recycle the LNBF's.

And yeah, like what others are saying, you MAY be responsible. And if you don't return the equipment and you're the responsible party, then your credit will go bad. You would NOT want that to happen as it's not worth your trouble to clean up your credit as it is to send the equipment back.

If you're NOT the responsible party, call them back and talk to the higher-ups. Ask them to send somebody out as the customer on the said agreement will NOT be able to ship it out. They may set up a service call to send someone out but again, why go through the hassle of holding on the phone and explaining all that when you can just send the receivers back? If they give you grief over the LNBF, then just tell them that you're doing them a favor in sending the receivers back and that you can't send the LNBF back. In some cases, they won't charge you for the missing LNBF.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but based on pricing I see on DishStore.net and Sadoun, it seems like an issue where "Hey if you can get to the LNB without hurting yourself, please return it" What I see is retail price being $40-$50 for most LNB. Yes, expensive when alot of people don't return it, but if a person says "are you crazy, it's January an they installed it on the peak of my 2 story house" do they really think they will get it back? What about consumer protection laws the prohibit penaly charges in excess of the Fair Retail Price?

When I signed up for dish, I took ownership of everything they brought, but if I had a lease on the stuff and if the installer mentioned "hey if you cancel, you have to take this piece off and send it back" I bet alot of people wouldn't let the dish up on the roof.

I am in no way saying that you shouldn't send the stuff back or not honor the agreement. Do I think he should just box the stuff up and send it back? Heck yes.

Also I notice in the agreement it only mentions a quad. What about twins or duals? I do not have a copy of that agreement listed above (the one I have does not list that info anywhere) where is it on the website? Does it breakdown the fees even more for the dual or twin? Legacy?

I feel for the customer a little bit, but send the stuff back. On all lease agreements anything saleable in that lease has to be sent back. which will include any LNB's, switches and receivers. You don't have to pay to ship it back the shipping is already paid, just send it back and get rid of your headache

He should not have to pay shipping if I understand the agreement correctly. They sent pre-paid labels and boxes. Unless that policy has changed.

it hasn't changed at all, call and find out your local office #, they will probably send a guy out to take down the LNB for you to box up. It will only take them a few minutes and than you don't have to worry about getting up on a ladder.

Overlord66 said:
What happens when your year contract is up? Can't you cancel and keep all of the equiptment.

after 1 year they still will want the equipment back. your are no longer committed to service but they want there stuff back,

drod said:
If the equipment is leased the equipment is leased through the lifetime of the account, no way to change that one.

I have always been under the impression that once your year is up the equipment is yours. The reason I say this is because I was going to sell my 811 for a 942 and when I called dish they said my year was up and I am free do do what ever I wanted with it.

I'm a TSR with Dish. Dish still has no lease plans that later become owned.

To the original poster: Kudos for you for bucking against the Evil Corporation and not being a Slave to the Contract! Enjoy the fees they assess to the account...