2 New Channels added

SalMaglie said:
Everytime they show a Champion's League match on ESPN2, at the end they'll say something like; "Coming up next on ESPN Desportes, our next match of the day.". Now I get to watch it! Thank you Voom!

ESPN Desportes will also show a different match from ESPN2 at the same time.

What a nice surprise! I don't speak a lick of Spanish but am thrilled to have ESPN Deportes, because they often show sporting events I very much want to watch. This is my personal favorite VOOM addition so far. In fact, I'd written my cable company forever trying to get them to add it, and had just resigned myself to never getting it since I don't live in a big Spanish market. Now I get it w/ Voom, and I don't even have to pay extra for an international tier (yet).

Even if most Voomers don't care about adding this or that specific channel, though (as I personally haven't cared about any of this month's additions save NGC), it's still a good thing - as most have already noted - since filling in the gaps in their channel lineup makes them a more attractive alternative to non Voomers. And w/o them coming aboard, we all lose.

amp said:
Not sure I understand why they would waste the bandwidth and money to add 2 spanish channels since they aren't going to grab the spanish speaking population without a significant lineup. At least they are growing, just wish it would be with some worthwhile content to help out their future.
You gotta start somewhere. Hispanics are the largest minority in CA now, and the fastest growing minority nationwide. They look at who meets their needs, just like you do. If you ignore them, E* gets them all, and VOOM can't afford to forfeit any subs. So go ahead, Chuck, add some more like Telemundo, HBO Latino, Univision...

mdonnelly said:
You gotta start somewhere. Hispanics are the largest minority in CA now, and the fastest growing minority nationwide. They look at who meets their needs, just like you do. If you ignore them, E* gets them all, and VOOM can't afford to forfeit any subs. So go ahead, Chuck, add some more like Telemundo, HBO Latino, Univision...

I'm sure they will be largest minority. We pretty much opened the US/Mexico border.. Unfortunately that also means a higher likelyhood of them not being able to afford HD and VOOM...

I expect i'll get some flames for speaking facts, so feel free to flame..

I understand that some people are thrilled to be getting these two new channels. I am not in that group. I wish I had the option of "hiding" certain channels like the locals. Does anyone know if Voom is considering the ability to hide non-local channels?

zombie said:
I'm sure they will be largest minority. We pretty much opened the US/Mexico border.. Unfortunately that also means a higher likelyhood of them not being able to afford HD and VOOM...

No need to flame, but your "facts" don't tell the whole story. There's been quite a substantial legal Latino/Hispanic population in the US for a long while. Cubans, Mexicans, Nicaraguans, Ecuadorans, etc. I live in Northern Virginia, and I was amazed at the size of the Latino community in this area when we got here 14 years ago. Believe me, if the numbers didn't support it, none of the providers would be making the Spanish language channels available. So, in effect, the real business case facts don't support your "facts".

SI SE PUEDE...great not only are we not goin be able to watch it (poor pq)we are not goin to understand it .. lol

mdonnelly said:

In some area like mine Univision and Telefutura are OTA, but they never broadcast in HD just SD. Univision might carry OTA HD during WC2006.

mdonnelly said:
Amen to that. This strikes me as a great start and hopefully these stations are next. IF VOOM gets these along with the RSN I think I can say that almost all the stations that are keeping people from switching will be present. By the way the stereotype of the poor hispanic who crossed the border illegally isn't accurate at all. Most in Texas are doing quite well and are here legally. They most certainly can afford voom and with spanish language programming will come on over. So good job VOOM, keep up the good work.
Patrick

Viva la Voom!
Mi amigos they are a welcome addition to the musica channels 893 Salsa Y Merengue and 891 Mexican. But where's the HD?
I hope for big surprises on April 1. :)

Voomin@720p said:
Ahem, if this was not America and if I did not speak english I might be excited. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Voomin,

Last I heard Native Americans had to learn to speak English. Weren't they here first? Maybe you should learn to speak Spanish. You see, in about 30 years Spanish-speakers might be the majority. :D

At least VOOM understands the importance of Latinos' $356 billion a year (and growing) buying power.

undercoverbrother said:
WTF is that supposed to mean! :rolleyes:
It means I can care less about the channels. I can count to 10 in spanish and that is it!

If VOOM continues adding Spanish channels before the RSN's I might, for the 1st time, consider jumping ship for BUD (CBand).

I have waited patiently for over a year for the RSN's. I have been very, very patient with VOOM!! This recent addition of channels that I can't understand is a slap in my face.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

mdonnelly said:

I'm Hispanic and I want FSN.

zombie said:

Your "facts" speak volumes.

funk101 said:
...Last I heard Native Americans had to learn to speak English. Weren't they here first? Maybe you should learn to speak Spanish. You see, in about 30 years Spanish-speakers might be the majority. :D ...
You make it sound as if the native tongue of Native Americans was Spanish!

Their native tongue was their own individual American Indian language. Spanish was the language of their invaders.

amp said:
Not sure I understand why they would waste the bandwidth and money to add 2 spanish channels since they aren't going to grab the spanish speaking population without a significant lineup. At least they are growing, just wish it would be with some worthwhile content to help out their future.

Espn Deportes is not only a spanish channel. It provide much more soccer events then Espn and Espn2 combined. UEFA Champions League is an excellent addition to soccer fans!

Good job, Voom.
Also consider to add GolTV HD when it will be available this summer. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)