2008-09 College Bowl Season

I just find of all this hilarious. Everybody is an expert. The bottom line is nobody knows who the best in the land is. The only way anybody will ever know who the best in the land is through head-to-head play. Everybody blew Boise St. off a couple of years ago and look what they did to the mighty Sooners. These so called "upsets" happen every year, so who is to say Utah couldn't beat any of this years "darlings". Without an actual match up, everybody is just blowing smoke up each other's asses, and yelling fire. Could Utah beat Florida, Texas , Oklahoma, USC? How the hell would I know? And neither does anyone else, for that matter. This is nothing but speculation, just like the "polls". Until we get a real playoff we will continue "speculating", with nobody ever being conclusively right. Utah deserved a chance to show that maybe they are "the best in the land". Sadly, they didn't get a chance.

I just find of all this hilarious. Everybody is an expert. The bottom line is nobody knows who the best in the land is. The only way anybody will ever know who the best in the land is through head-to-head play. Everybody blew Boise St. off a couple of years ago and look what they did to the mighty Sooners. These so called "upsets" happen every year, so who is to say Utah couldn't beat any of this years "darlings". Without an actual match up, everybody is just blowing smoke up each other's asses, and yelling fire. Could Utah beat Florida, Texas , Oklahoma, USC? How the hell would I know? And neither does anyone else, for that matter. This is nothing but speculation, just like the "polls". Until we get a real playoff we will continue "speculating", with nobody ever being conclusively right. Utah deserved a chance to show that maybe they are "the best in the land". Sadly, they didn't get a chance.
Tell Utah to get into a major conference (tell the Pac-10 to add Utah and Boise St.) and play the big boys all year, then see how good they play in their bowl (if they can manage to win 6).

Tell Utah to get into a major conference (tell the Pac-10 to add Utah and Boise St.) and play the big boys all year, then see how good they play in their bowl (if they can manage to win 6).
But what makes a conference a major conference?
How in the hell is the Big East a major conference when the Mountain West isn't?

If it wasn't for USC, the Pac 10 would be even worse than the Big East.

No. But I'm watching in my own home theater on the 92" projector/screen. :)

I don't have a fancy-shamncy 92" projector screen thing-a-magig....but I will be quite happy watching it on my 50 inch plasma. Neither MRS. Salsadancer, the kids nor the in-laws will be home...!!

Nice...quiet night of football.....the way I like it!

You just said how good Pete Carroll is and how great the USC team is, then you post this :

The reason USC has not been the national champion for five out of the last six years is their mental and emotional immaturity. Carroll has no trouble getting them ready for bowl games or big early-season non-conference games. If USC were allowed to play either Oklahoma or Florida this year they would pulverize them. Their problem is, they have over-inflated egos.

Doesn't this point directly at the coach not having his teams ready mentally and emotionally ?

Jimbo

Yes it does. I never said Pete Carroll was perfect. He is a great judge of talent, a great recruiter, good at teaching the fundamentals, and great at ensuring that his teams are physically fit and able to play full bore for 4 quarters. But he obviously is not much at instilling character or getting his teams to put out full effort for every single game. Not only do his teams lose to inferior teams every so often, even when they are winning they tend to collect a lot of silly penalties---especially personal fouls.

But in my original post I emphasized athletically speaking. I stand by my contention that USC has the best athletic talent and would easily beat Oklahoma, Texas, or Florida this year because they would respect their opponent and therefore try hard.

GOD...another homer JUST AS BAD as HD!!!:rolleyes:;) You are dealing almost completely in hypotheticals.....

Yep. HD and I are homers. How many people on this thread aren't?

I don't get what you mean by dealing in hypotheticals. USC did not hypothetically destroy Ohio State and Penn State this year and did not hypothetically destroy Oklahoma in the 2005 Orange Bowl.

Unfortunately, he'll have the stigma of "Never winning a bowl game"

A two time MVP for the Buckeyes and the leading candidate to win the Heisman going into this year before missing a few games early and falling out of the race.

In three injury riddled seasons at Ohio State, Wells rushed for 3,382 yards, fourth best in school history.

I think your way off base by saying Beanie's legacy will "carry the stigma of never winning a bowl game". A RB doesn't always have the power to single handily win games on his own. It's a team game. If anything, he'll have the stigma of not being able to stay healthy which left the fans wondering what could have been.

I think your way off base by saying Beanie's legacy will "carry the stigma of never winning a bowl game". A RB doesn't always have the power to single handily win games on his own. It's a team game. If anything, he'll have the stigma of not being able to stay healthy which left the fans wondering what could have been.

Well, one thing I forgot to mention that I think will be what Buckeye fans will TRULY remember:

3-0 against Michigan, and he had a big TD run in each of them.

Yep. HD and I are homers. How many people on this thread aren't?

I don't get what you mean by dealing in hypotheticals. USC did not hypothetically destroy Ohio State and Penn State this year and did not hypothetically destroy Oklahoma in the 2005 Orange Bowl.
And still lost to an unranked team.

Is it me or has this Bowl Season as a whole been very dull?

I always thought this long layoff ruined any sort of momentum and built up interest at the end of the regular season.

If we can't have a playoff system and have to stick with Bowls, can we at least move the games up a few weeks? The 6 week layoff is ridiculous. Can you imagine the Super Bowl being 6 weeks after the Conference Championships??

Is it me or has this Bowl Season as a whole been very dull?

I always thought this long layoff ruined any sort of momentum and built up interest at the end of the regular season.

The fact that Notre Dame won a bowl game and Michigan didn't make a bowl game may have also contributed.

There were some good games- Holiday, Alamo, Fiesta, Cotton.

However, the Sun Bowl, normally a fun, high-scoring game- may have been the most dreadfully boring bowl game I've ever seen,