2008 World Series.......Phillies vs. Rays

They said the Rays found a place in Wilmington, DE. I wonder how many rooms though? Are they going to have to slum it like kids on spring break and squeeze 4 to a room? These young guys for Tampa are probably feeling like they are right back in AA.

And to think, when he worked at ABC, he was universally lauded as a great analyst.

Grandpa Tim was also a little bit younger then. :D

I think the extra change of the way ball is played today plus him aging = more grumpiness and complaints.

As for my local FOX affiliate, they reported it during the news and then later broke to FOX for a Joe Buck game "has been suspended and will resume tomorrow night" quick segment as the telecast officially signed off.

I wonder what happens if they can't resume it tomorrow night. Does that mean they'll try again in Philly on Wednesday or will they move the venue to the Trop as scheduled for Wednesday and have the Phillies play the home team for the completion of suspended game?

Which ends first the WS or the election?

WS. Worst case scenario, move the venue to the Trop (a domed stadium) and get the WS completed.

BTW, according to one, the election is currently already over. ;) I beg to differ until every last vote (hopefully valid) is counted

MLB played in the rain until one team caught up. They would have stopped every other game this season at the end of the 5th in those conditions maybe before.. Shameful. The rules shouldnt change because it is the WS. Philly should be celebrating a championship this morning. You may feel it was "fair" but it was anything but.

I don't care for Bud Selig. I think he is a terrible Commissioner and some of his decisions have been
awful. That said, I believe he did the right thing suspending the game until it can be played in more
favorable conditions. The rules haven't changed and the decision was fair. Should the game have been stopped sooner?
Perhaps, but how could anyone know the Rays would score the tying run?
Those who think the suspended game could be moved to St. Pete, think again. It is not going to
happen. They'll finish game 5 in Philly even if they have to wait till Christmas.

Last edited:
Today (Oct. 28, 2008)

12.gif

Rain / Wind High
44°F

Precip
80%

Hourly Forecast for Philadelphia, PA:

12pm
11.gif

44°F

3pm
12.gif

44°F

6pm
11.gif

43°F

9pm
11.gif

40°F

12am
11.gif

40°F

3am
24.gif

40°F

MLB played in the rain until one team caught up. They would have stopped every other game this season at the end of the 5th in those conditions maybe before.. Shameful. The rules shouldnt change because it is the WS. Philly should be celebrating a championship this morning. You may feel it was "fair" but it was anything but.
I am a big Phillies fan but would not like to get to get a WS title by way of a rain shortened game. I hope the series final game is election day. I would be able to watch something that would make me happy. There will be no winners in the election except the politicians. The WS will at least leave sports fans happy no matter who wins.

As he took his place behind the microphone, Selig clutched a baseball rule book in his left hand, a finger marking the page where Rule 4.12-6 resided -- suspended games. And in his own distinct Selig-ian way, he eventually explained that under no circumstances would a team win a World Series championship on his watch because of a rain-abbreviated (but perfectly allowable) game result.

"I would not have allowed a World Series to end that way," Selig said.

It would have been nice if the announcers and thus the fans had known this last night.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3668142&sportCat=mlb"]Gene Wojciechowski: Selig made correct call - ESPN[/ame]

I don't care for Bud Selig. I think he is a terrible Commissioner and some of his decisions have been
awful. That said, I believe he did the right thing suspending the game until it can be played in more
favorable conditions. The rules haven't changed and the decision was fair. Should the game have been stopped sooner?
Perhaps, but how could anyone know the Rays would score the tying run?
Those who think the suspended game could be moved to St. Pete, think again. It is not going to
happen. They'll finish game 5 in Philly even if they have to wait till Christmas.

Ah yes...those Baseball Gods show up again! :p

According to MLB, the bottom of the 6th will start at 8:37 p.m. With Barack Obama buying ad time
prior to the start, does this mean FOX won't have a pre-game show? Had game 6 been played Wednesday,
the advertised start time was 8:50 p.m. It would be great if Buck, McCarver and
company would just shut up and let the game actually resume at 8:37. That is about as likely as
sunshine and 75 degrees in Philadelphia Wednesday night.

It would have been nice if the announcers and thus the fans had known this last night.

ESPN - Gene Wojciechowski: Selig made correct call

I would like to know what rule gives Selig the opportunity to not give the Phillies the win if the game had been suspended with the Phils leading 2-1.

If it's a tied, suspended game like what happened, I can see the authority (I don't see where the rule book says who gets to determine when the suspended game is resumed; I just see rules for how the suspended game must be played in comparison to a regularly scheduled game).

I don't see in the rule book any exception that Selig could use to bypass the rule about if a suspended game has become official in length and is called due to weather, the team leading wins.

Is it another one of those BS "Best for Baseball" clauses that Selig could invoke?

I would like to know what rule gives Selig the opportunity to not give the Phillies the win if the game had been suspended with the Phils leading 2-1.

If it's a tied, suspended game like what happened, I can see the authority (I don't see where the rule book says who gets to determine when the suspended game is resumed; I just see rules for how the suspended game must be played in comparison to a regularly scheduled game).

I don't see in the rule book any exception that Selig could use to bypass the rule about if a suspended game has become official in length and is called due to weather, the team leading wins.

Is it another one of those BS "Best for Baseball" clauses that Selig could invoke?

I think Selig told both managers that the series wouldn't end because of a rain-shortened game. Even if the Phillies lead last night before the game was called, that's a really cheap way to win a World Series.

So is playing a 3 inning make-up game.

It's not a 3 inning game, it's a 9 inning game that has been halted until more favorable weather.

The stats count (but are not official until the end of the game) so it's just a game that is in its 6th inning of play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts