2009 NBA Playoffs

I'm not sure why you would start a new thread about the NBA Playoffs just because they're almost over. Once the games actually start the noise will die down, just a lull in the news cycle so the Lebron stuff is getting more press.

I'm not sure why you would start a new thread about the NBA Playoffs just because they're almost over. Once the games actually start the noise will die down, just a lull in the news cycle so the Lebron stuff is getting more press.

exactly. We dont have a Stanley cup final thread

OK, so my attempt at a separate NBA Finals thread didn't work out.:eek:

Still, I want to get some thoughts on the series that is to come.

What are YOUR thoughts on this upcoming series?

The President Picks the Winner

Earlier this year, basketball fan and President of the USA, Barack Obama picked UNC to win the NCAA Championship. Now, he's making his selection for the NBA Title...

Said the smiling president of the best-of-seven series: "Lakers in six, I think." The series begins Thursday.

Jameer Nelson to Play in Finals?!

His teammates think so.....
"I expect to see him out there at some point in the series," backup point guard Anthony Johnson said.
Nelson had what was then called season-ending surgery Feb. 19. Nelson's rehabilitation was supposed to take at least another two months.
"I'm not saying I'm any tougher or stronger than anybody, but I've been known to do some amazing things sometimes," Nelson said Tuesday, again lobbying for playing time.

BTW, I keep forgetting the Magic are still playing WITHOUT their starting point-guard! Seriously, on paper, this has to be the best team in the league. Dwight Howard, Hedu Turkaglu, Rashard Lewis, Courtney Lee, Rafer Alston, Jameer Nelson, Mickael Pietrus, Anthony Johnson, Tony Batie, Marcin Gortot, JJ Reddick....

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4224810"]Orlando Magic players: Point guard Jameer Nelson to play in NBA Finals - ESPN[/ame]

KCK, this is nothing to be taking lightly. My man had a benign growth in his jaw removed last night. He was in surgery for over 5 hours! He is being treated at the Cleveland Clinic (one of the best in the world). Here's to a speedy recovery LBJ!

if that's THE cleveland clinic i have one of those in south florida right after griffin road. had my liver checked out there. the best treatment i ever got! every doctor i've spoken to has only said the best about the cleveland clinic.
sorry to go off topic guys.............

OK, so my attempt at a separate NBA Finals thread didn't work out.:eek:

Still, I want to get some thoughts on the series that is to come.

What are YOUR thoughts on this upcoming series?

Ok, here it is...

I think the Lakers match up WAY better against these Magic than maybe any other team in the league.

The Cavs got into trouble with the Magic because they didn't have anyone on the roster who could guard Dwight Howard 1 on 1. They were forced to double team, then Howard would kick it out to one of his long-ball shooters and eventually find someone who was wide open. When these guys are wide open like that, they don't miss. 3 pointers are demoralizing to a team because it eliminates a deficit in a hurry and can build a lead in an instant.

The Lakers on the other hand have multiple bodies they can counter Dwight Howard with, most likely the main one being Andrew Bynum. They also have long/athletic forwards to counter the Magic's shooting forwards. Gasol and Ariza should be able to minimize Lewis and Turkaglu's strengths. As for the guard matchups, give the edge to the Lakers. While Courtney Lee has shown to be an adequate defender, I don't see how he stops Kobe. Fisher and Rafer Alston should be a wash. As for the bench, Mickael Pietrus has come up huge for the Magic. The Lakers have Lamar Odom to counter.

Overall, I don't see any glaring matchups that pose a severe problem like the Magic had over Cleveland. I think the Lakers experience along with the 1-2 tandum of Kobe/Pau take out the Magic in 6.

if that's THE cleveland clinic i have one of those in south florida right after griffin road. had my liver checked out there. the best treatment i ever got! every doctor i've spoken to has only said the best about the cleveland clinic.
sorry to go off topic guys.............

Yep. Our hospital's are one of best things going for this city. We have some of the best in the nation.

We have a "Detroit Signs John Jansen" thread, but an NBA Finals Thread get's shot down?! Are you kidding me Ice? Seriously?

Right on, HD.

I don't understand Icy's 'redundancy' argument. IIRC, nobody complained when we had a separate thread for last year's NBA Finals, the Super Bowl, or the World Series.