2009 NFL Draft Countdown

That just isn't right. A guy who hasn't even played a down yet makes more than a vet. Something has got to change.

yeah i've been saying that for years now. it's ridiculous what these top picks make without ever stepping on the field in the NFL. and it just gets worse every year.

Anyway still going to order my Stafford players jersey for this years Football season. I may have to retire one of my 2 Calvin Johnson's:D

Yeah, the NFL system of paying rookies is completely out of wack. It will probably be discussed by the labor union in the upcoming negotiations.

there needs to be a rookie cap. isn't there one in the NBA? prove yourself in the 1st year and get paid after that. i hope they put an end to this BS.

there needs to be a rookie cap. isn't there one in the NBA? prove yourself in the 1st year and get paid after that. i hope they put an end to this BS.

They need to have a cap where they make a set amount of money and it needs to be a 2-3 year deal, most players don't distinguish themselves in the first year anyways.

IF it's just a one year deal then it wouldn't be much better than they have now.
Also teams would be pushed to get the new QB onto the field right away.

Me too, I'm just saying, I'm OK with the pick .... now they need to get the lines taken care of.

The Sporting News last week guessed that the Lions would take DT Fili Moala (USC) with the 20th pick and James Laurinatis with the 33rd pick (2nd round).
This with Maualuga already being gone.

I would love it if Maualuga was there....I think he can be the "Big Thumper" coach schwartz says he is looking for

They need to have a cap where they make a set amount of money and it needs to be a 2-3 year deal, most players don't distinguish themselves in the first year anyways.

IF it's just a one year deal then it wouldn't be much better than they have now.
Also teams would be pushed to get the new QB onto the field right away.

i agree but at least if it was a one year deal and they don't prove themselves worthy of a big contract they wont get it. teams wont be tied down to 4 or 5 year large contracts with these rookies. I'm not saying a one year deal is what i would like to see. the 2 to 3 year deals for rookies is the way it should be but a one year deal is better than what we have now. if you can't prove yourself yet in your rookie year you won't get that huge contract.you'll have to wait.........

why are they beginning so late compared to the usual?

Don't know, I was going to ask the same question ...
Probably to tie up Prime Time for those that are interested in the Draft.

The draft use to move to espn2 after the first round, is that still happening ?

Last edited:
I would love it if Maualuga was there....I think he can be the "Big Thumper" coach schwartz says he is looking for

I too think that would be a HUGE move for them, if they wanted to package the 20th and another pick, they may move up to do that, but then again, thats someone thinking, something they don't do well in the Lions camp.

Don't know, I was going to ask the same question ...
Probably to tie up Prime Time for those that are interested in the Draft.

The draft use to move to espn2 after teh first round, is that still happening ?

maybe. i'll look that up.

I share the same thoughts, nothing against these guys making money. But he has not thown a pass yet and is going to get at least 41 million. Thats why when I hear these "tough times" the NFL will be having I laugh as these owners continue to spend.

Satjay....I NEVER believe ownship from ANY professional sport when they cry about "tough times".....:rolleyes: How much was GUARENTEED??!! I mean gimme a break.....JaMarcus Russell's contract is starting to look like a bargain compared to this one.....His was "only" $31 million upfront.....:rolleyes::p

The Detroit Lions reached an agreement with Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford to make him the first pick in the NFL draft on Saturday.

According to a source, Stafford will receive a six-year, $41.7 million deal that could be worth $78 million if he achieves all of his playing incentives. The source also said he will receive $41.7 million in guarantees. That tops the $41 million in guarantees Albert Haynesworth received from the Washington Redskins.

Sources: Matthew Stafford agrees to $41.7M, six-year deal with Detroit Lions - ESPN

Well my son and I are packing up the lions clothing we own today donating it to goodwill. I am done with this orginazation of ineptness, this was the last straw. You take this guy with the #1 PICK, do they even watch college football? This guy sucks, whatever Mathew, you just lost a 30 year relationship.

I hate you Ford Family.

You got to love America. Only in a country where over 10% of it's population is unemployed, can someone receive $41.7M for doing nothing more than being picked first in the NFL draft.

This pick represents our new "regime". Everybody that comes into a franchise wants their own "guy". So this pick doesn't surprise me. My only hope is that he is as good as all the "experts" say he'll be. My original thinking was to go with a lineman (either side of the line), and take a QB next year, but looking ahead, who's there next year? Bradford, Tebow, McCoy? These guys all play in the "spread". None of them take snaps from under center, in other words, none of them have experience in a "pro" style offense. Take a look at the record of "spread" QB's in the NFL. It isn't pretty. Besides, this kid has a better arm. Hopefully they'll teach him to make good decisions.

You wanted an offensive lineman? There will be one there next season when we draft in the top 5, AGAIN. Meanwhile Stafford will have at least gotten a year to watch. QB's take longer to develop than OT's. In the long run this may have been the best decision. I don't know if this kid will be any good. Nobody does, all we have are opinions. If Culpepper stays healthy, we won't have to rush him. That has been the problem around here, throwing QB's into the fray before they're ready.

You got to love America. Only in a country where over 10% of it's population is unemployed, can someone receive $41.7M for doing nothing more than being picked first in the NFL draft.

This pick represents our new "regime". Everybody that comes into a franchise wants their own "guy". So this pick doesn't surprise me. My only hope is that he is as good as all the "experts" say he'll be. My original thinking was to go with a lineman (either side of the line), and take a QB next year, but looking ahead, who's there next year? Bradford, Tebow, McCoy? These guys all play in the "spread". None of them take snaps from under center, in other words, none of them have experience in a "pro" style offense. Take a look at the record of "spread" QB's in the NFL. It isn't pretty. Besides, this kid has a better arm. Hopefully they'll teach him to make good decisions.

You wanted an offensive lineman? There will be one there next season when we draft in the top 5, AGAIN. Meanwhile Stafford will have at least gotten a year to watch. QB's take longer to develop than OT's. In the long run this may have been the best decision. I don't know if this kid will be any good. Nobody does, all we have are opinions. If Culpepper stays healthy, we won't have to rush him. That has been the problem around here, throwing QB's into the fray before they're ready.

That sentence I highlighted is indeed the key, IMO.

I have a gut feeling that Stafford will be a very good NFL quarterback. Of course, we'll probably need a minimum of three years to determine that.

Yes, the NBA has a rookie cap. There should be a set amount they get as a rookie until they prove their worth. Then, the veterans who deserve it can get paid the big bucks. Plus, with this way, you'll never have draft holdouts.

Yes, the NBA has a rookie cap. There should be a set amount they get as a rookie until they prove their worth. Then, the veterans who deserve it can get paid the big bucks. Plus, with this way, you'll never have draft holdouts.

yes that's another positive. great point!

Satjay....I NEVER believe ownship from ANY professional sport when they cry about "tough times".....:rolleyes: How much was GUARENTEED??!! I mean gimme a break.....JaMarcus Russell's contract is starting to look like a bargain compared to this one.....His was "only" $31 million upfront.....:rolleyes::p

Well they have to make the current contract larger than last years top QB.
At least they feel that way... the agent wouldn't settle for less.

Jimbo

Random thoughts at the start of May

Something special for Yankee Fans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)