2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Judging from the fact that in the 500 posts that are for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, this is my first tells you that I'm not a big hockey fan.

I did watch some of the Rangers game and it was quite good. I do have a question. They re-seed after the first round/quarterfinals. How do they do that? Is it like the NFL Playoffs where the number 1 seed plays the lowest seed and the number 2 seed plays the highest seed?

Judging from the fact that in the 500 posts that are for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, this is my first tells you that I'm not a big hockey fan.

I did watch some of the Rangers game and it was quite good. I do have a question. They re-seed after the first round/quarterfinals. How do they do that? Is it like the NFL Playoffs where the number 1 seed plays the lowest seed and the number 2 seed plays the highest seed?

#1 would play the lowest left and # 2 would play the next lowest.

I did not know that they re align after this round, does anyone else do this ?

2 nd round seedings

Conference semifinals feature Crosby vs. Ovechkin
Tuesday, 04.28.2009 / 8:27 PM / The National Hockey League
By NHL .com
Whew. On to the second round.

After the dismissal of the President's Trophy winner and two razor-close Game 7 showdowns in the Eastern Conference, the Boston Bruins are the new owners of home ice advantage throughout the playoffs--as long they are in contention for hockey's coveted Stanley Cup. Boston will open up at home against Carolina Friday (7:30 p.m. ET) after the Hurricanes scored two goals in the last 80 seconds of Game 7 in New Jersey Tuesday night.

The other Eastern matchup will feature Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins traveling to visit Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals, who pulled out their own 2-1 Game 7 heart-stopper Tuesday. That series begins Saturday afternoon in D.C. (1 p.m. ET)

The matchups in the Western Conference were set Monday night after the No. 8 Anaheim Ducks closed out intrastate rival and top seed San Jose in six, and Chicago's young Blackhawks did the same six-and-out number on the Flames at the Saddledome. Anaheim travels to Detroit to open its second-round series Friday (7:30 p.m. ET) in a battle of the last two Stanley Cup championship teams, while Chicago travels to Vancouver to open its conference semifinal series in the second round's opening game Thursday night at 9 p.m. ET.

Here is the complete schedule for the Eastern and Western conference semifinals:

SERIES I
#1 vs. #6
NETWORK
Friday, May 1 at Boston, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS (JIP), TSN
Sunday, May 3 at Boston, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
Wednesday, May 6 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS (JIP), TSN
Friday, May 8 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS (JIP), TSN
*Sunday, May 10 at Boston, 7:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
*Tuesday, May 12 at Carolina, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
*Thursday, May 14 at Boston, TBD TSN
SERIES J
#2 vs. #4
NETWORK
Saturday, May 2 at Washington, 1:00 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
Monday, May 4 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Wednesday, May 6 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Friday, May 8 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Saturday, May 9 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Monday, May 11 at Pittsburgh, TBD VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Wednesday, May 13 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
SERIES K
#2 vs. #8
NETWORK
Friday, May 1 at Detroit, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, TSN2
Sunday, May 3 at Detroit, 2:00 p.m. NBC, TSN
Tuesday, May 5 at Anaheim, 10:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
Thursday, May 7 at Anaheim, 10:30 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
*Sunday, May 10 at Detroit, 5:00 p.m. TSN
*Tuesday, May 12 at Anaheim, TBD VERSUS, TSN
*Thursday, May 14 at Detroit, TBD VERSUS, TSN
SERIES L
#3 vs. #4
NETWORK
Thursday, April 30 at Vancouver, 9:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
Saturday, May 2 at Vancouver, 9:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
Tuesday, May 5 at Chicago, 8:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
Thursday, May 7 at Chicago, 8:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
*Saturday, May 9 at Vancouver, 10:30 p.m CBC, VERSUS
*Monday, May 11 at Chicago, 9:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)
*Thursday, May 14 at Vancouver, TBD CBC, VERSUS

* - if necessary

Unfortunatley, no more games on the FSN ....
At least you KNEW the game would be able to be seen and you knew where ....

If I miss a Red Wings game because I could not find it on TV, I will not be a happy camper and the NHL will be hearing it.

All Wings games will be on VS or NBC.
Hopefully, VS won't have more than one game to show at a time.

Of course any games in Anaheim will be middle of the night weekday games. :rolleyes:

Jimbo

Quick look at the schedule shows the Red Wings game and the Bruins games (1st two) happening at the same time on the same channel ....
Only ONE VS channel , how do they determine what I want to watch, what if I wanted to watch BOTH games or the OTHER games ?

Anyone else have a problem with this ?

Rangers played good hockey down the stretch to get into the playoffs- in early March, I didn't think they'd get in.

BTW, you think the Rangers will keep Tortarella for next year, or is this an interim thing?

It would be a shame to see the Rangers toss Tortarella out for several reasons:

1. he is a proven winner and has a cup to back it
2. the team has bought into his attitude and playing style; i have not seen this team play like this ever in my whole life (that is. they are quicker and defensive minded)
3. look at the work he did with Avery . . . if we get Avery's effort for 90% of the time like we did last nite, this team will be incredible

Sorry buddy! :(

The Rangers put in a heck of an effort tonight! :up

Thanks Bill . . . good luck in next series!

Pisses me off that a "fluke" goal in the 1st period screwed us . . . oh well . . . that's how the puck bounces . . . I like that this series shows us a lot for the offseason . . . we need more speed; we need to press defensively when killing off powerplays; lundquist, uncharacteristically, needs to go back standing and not crouching for every shot . . .

Like I said in a prior post, well at least I still now have my Mets . . . oh wait, bad example :(

Just for the pure excitement of it all, I'd love to see it go 7 games.

My heart couldn't take a 7 game series! You guys swept us in 2003, the year after we won the Cup. Beat us in 6 games in 2007, when I believe you guys won the Cup. This has become the new rivalry that replaced Colorado on our hate list here in Detroit. This is going to be one helluva series. That #8 seeding doesn't mean a damn thing right now.

If I miss a Red Wings game because I could not find it on TV, I will not be a happy camper and the NHL will be hearing it.

Of course any games in Anaheim will be middle of the night weekday games. :rolleyes:

Jimbo
According to the schedule you posted, it looks like Game 5 will be covered by TSN and broadcast in Canada? I wonder if Versus will pick-up this feed since there are no conflicts in the schedule?

Quick look at the schedule shows the Red Wings game and the Bruins games (1st two) happening at the same time on the same channel ....
Only ONE VS channel , how do they determine what I want to watch, what if I wanted to watch BOTH games or the OTHER games ?

Anyone else have a problem with this ?
In my opinion we're only going to get one game. Offhand, I think it will be the Wings-Ducks game because of the larger viewing audience and the fact game time is 30-minutes earlier. Versus will probably provide 30-minutes of that they call "Bonus Coverage" of the Bruins-Hurricanes game. This sucks because I would like to see/record both games! Hmmm. Given their horrible track record, I doubt the NHL Network will come through and pick-up the other feed. We shall see...

Currently, all the major guides list "Teams TBD".

Last edited:
My heart couldn't take a 7 game series! You guys swept us in 2003, the year after we won the Cup. Beat us in 6 games in 2007, when I believe you guys won the Cup. This has become the new rivalry that replaced Colorado on our hate list here in Detroit. This is going to be one helluva series. That #8 seeding doesn't mean a damn thing right now.

Oh my! I was not aware of that, Paul. I do know you guys and Colorado REALLY hated each other. I guess I should feel honored.:D

Actually here is the schedule with local tv info included.
red equals feeds that won't be part of NHL Center Ice
Spots with no tv mentioned at all are due to the info not being available yet.
A More viewer freindly versison can be found at the following location.
http://webpages.charter.net/mshaw2715/nhl.htm

DateAwayAWAY TVHomeHOME TVTimeNATIONAL TVNOTES
30-Apr BLACKHAWKS (NO TV) CANUCKS (NO TV) 9PM VERSUS HD, CBC HD
1-May DUCKS (NO TV) RED WINGS (NO TV) 7PM VERSUS HD, TSN2 HD
1-May HURRICANES () BRUINS (NESN HD) 7:30PM VERSUS HD (JIP), TSN HD
2-May PENGUINS (NO TV) CAPITALS (NO TV) 1PM NBC HD, CBC HD, RDS
2-May BLACKHAWKS (CSN CHICAGO HD) CANUCKS (NO TV) 9PM VERSUS HD, CBC HD
3-May DUCKS (NO TV) RED WINGS (NO TV) 2PM NBC HD, TSN HD
3-May HURRICANES (NO TV) BRUINS (NO TV) 7:30PM VERSUS HD, TSN HD
4-May PENGUINS NO TV CAPITALS NO TV 7PM VERSUS HD, CBC HD, RDS
5-May CANUCKS NO TV BLACKHAWKS CSN CHICAGO HD 8PM VERSUS HD, CBC HD
5-May RED WINGS FS DETROIT DUCKS () 10:30PM VERSUS HD, TSN HD
6-May CAPITALS NO TV PENGUINS NO TV 7PM VERSUS HD, CBC HD, RDS
6-May BRUINS NESN HD HURRICANES () 7:30PMVERSUS HD (JIP), TSN HD
7-May CANUCKS NO TV BLACKHAWKSNO TV8PMVERSUS HD, CBC HD
7-May RED WINGS NO TV DUCKSNO TV10:30PMVERSUS HD, TSN HD
8-May CAPITALS CSN MID ATLANTIC HD PENGUINSFSN PITTSBURGH HD 7PMVERSUS HD, CBC HD, RDS
8-May BRUINS NESN HD HURRICANES7:30PMVERSUS HD (JIP), TSN HD
9-May PENGUINS FSN PITTSBURGH CAPITALSCSN MID ATLANTIC HD7PMVERSUS HD, CBC HD, RDSIF NECESSARY
9-May BLACKHAWKS CSN CHICAGO HD CANUCKSNO TV10:30PMVERSUS HD, CBC HDIF NECESSARY
10-May DUCKS () RED WINGS FS DETROIT HD5PMTSN HDIF NECESSARY
10-May HURRICANES NO TV BRUINSNO TV7:30PMVERSUS HD, TSN HDIF NECESSARY
11-May CAPITALS CSN MID ATLANTIC HD PENGUINSFSN PITTSBURGH HDTBDVERSUS HD, CBC HD, RDSIF NECESSARY
11-May CANUCKS NO TV BLACKHAWKSCSN CHICAGO HD9PMVERSUS HD (JIP), CBC HDIF NECESSARY
12-May RED WINGS FS DETROIT DUCKSTBDVERSUS HD, TSN HDIF NECESSARY
12-May BRUINS NESN HD HURRICANES7PMVERSUS HD, TSN HDIF NECESSARY
13-May PENGUINS FSN PITTSBURGH CAPITALSCSN MID ATLANTIC HD7PMVERSUS HD, CBC HD, RDSIF NECESSARY
14-May HURRICANES () BRUINS () TBD TSN HDIF NECESSARY
14-May DUCKS () RED WINGSFS DETROIT HDTBDVERSUS HD, TSN HDIF NECESSARY
14-May BLACKHAWKS CSN CHICAGO HDCANUCKSNO TVTBDVERSUS HD, CBC HDIF NECESSARY
END OF SECOND ROUND

Jimbo

Last edited:
Classless Fans...

I was just talking a look at last night's SportsCenter and noticed several NJ Devils fans giving middle fingers to Carolina after they scored the winning goal. Yep, there's nothing more attractive than two good looking girls in their mid-20s giving both middle fingers and yelling FU at the glass.:rolleyes:

It's hard to beleive people can be this classless.:(

According to the schedule you posted, it looks like Game 5 will be covered by TSN and broadcast in Canada? I wonder if Versus will pick-up this feed since there are no conflicts in the schedule?

I sure hope so,other wise it will not be shown in the Detroit market.

However, seeing it's a Sunday, I would think that NBC would pick it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts