30. Carolina
29. St. Louis
28. Cleveland
27. Seattle
26. Oakland
25. Detroit
24. Cincinnati
23. Arizona

Jake Dellhomme & Seneca Wallace still ailing. Browns signed Brett Ratliff as insurance. Colt McCoy likely to start his first NFL game this Sunday against the Steelers....

I'm not going to lie. I feel bad for the kid. He might get murdered. :eek:

It would be an understatement to say that I really can't stand Bret Favre.

Same here. I almost want to physically hurl when they mention him in the same breath as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady! :rant:

And don't even get me started with the ESPN genuflecting! :rolleyes:

Same here. I almost want to physically hurl when they mention him in the same breath as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady! :rant:

And don't even get me started with the ESPN genuflecting! :rolleyes:
The only things I give Favre credit for are longevity and stubbornness. Anyone who has started and played in as many as he has should hold all sorts of records, both good and bad ones...

Only 5 weeks into the season, I feel that there is a big disparity between which conference is superior- that's the AFC.

One needs only to compare the one-loss teams in each conference:

Conference A: Falcons, Bears, Buccaneers

Conference B: Ravens, Jets, Steelers, Patriots

Only 5 weeks into the season, I feel that there is a big disparity between which conference is superior- that's the AFC.

One needs only to compare the one-loss teams in each conference:

Conference A: Falcons, Bears, Buccaneers

Conference B: Ravens, Jets, Steelers, Patriots

And you didn't even mention the Colts, Chargers or Titans (all two loss teams)!

Three AFC teams (Pats, Steelers and Colts) dominated the NFL for most of the '00s, but I thought the NFC was making a comeback once again the last couple of seasons. However, the disparity this year is Grand Canyonesque.

As mentioned here before, these things are cyclical (the NFC DOMINATED for more than a decade). I just thought the pendulum was swinging back the NFC's way..........until this year.

WOW....talk about a FOR SURE HOF start...to being released as soon as your healthy!

There will DEFINATELY still be interest, how can there NOT be...he is barely in his mid 20s!

Wed Oct 13 09:18pm PDT

The rise and fall of Shawne Merriman
By MJD
In 2005, Shawne Merriman(notes) was a first-round draft pick, recorded 10 sacks, made the Pro Bowl, was named to the All-Pro team, and won the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

In 2006, Merriman racked up 17 sacks in just 12 games, made the Pro Bowl, was named to the All-Pro team, and finished third in Defensive Player of the Year voting.

In 2007, Merriman had 12.5 sacks and was again a Pro Bowler and an All-Pro.

In 2010, the Chargers have agreed to release him outright, just as soon as he gets healthy.

That's a Lindsay Lohan-like career arc. The speed of his dazzling rise to dominance is matched only by the thoroughness of his freefall to the waiver wire. It's downright astonishing when you look at the big picture.

Given the last two-plus years of injury/invisibility, plus all of his non-football issues -- the steroid suspension, the thing with Tila Tequila, the dumbest celebratory dance in sports history -- it's easy to forget how good Merriman was. Thirty-nine and a half sacks in three years? That's a Hall of Fame pace, easy. And a lot of those 39.5 sacks came against double-teams and opponents scheming against him. Merriman was an absolute game-changer, and from the second he entered the league, one of its most dominant players.

It's hard to compare it to anything, because so few players play at such a high level so quickly. Imagine what kind of catastrophe it would take for, as an example, Patrick Willis(notes) to be released in a couple of years. Or Darrelle Revis(notes). Or maybe for the Packers to be letting Clay Matthews(notes) go in 2014.

One wonders if Merriman can ever again be the player he once was.

It's rare that someone who was once great in the NFL (or in any area of life, really) can get back to their previous high level of play after two years of no and/or poor performance. With Merriman, it's fair to wonder, too, how much of his early career dominance was steroid-fueled. He denies ever using and he went with the "tainted supplement" explanation, and he did have one very good year that came after the suspension. Still, the questions will always be there.

Based on his 2009 season, the physical dominance seems to have left him. He played in 16 games, but had just four sacks and 26 tackles. But he wasn't completely healthy, either. He hadn't fully recovered from reconstructive knee surgery, and wasn't anywhere near the same player. So far in 2010, he's mostly been sidelined with more leg injuries. When he has been out there, there's been no sign of the dominance re-emerging.

I wish the best for the man, and I hope I'm wrong, but if I had to bet on Merriman ever getting back to his 2005-2007 level, I'm afraid I'd have to bet against it.

The rise and fall of Shawne Merriman - Shutdown Corner - NFL* - Yahoo! Sports

Salsa, sounds like an Al Davis pickup, I hope he can resist. Do not want post-roids Merriman

I don't know. I mean the guy is still young with plenty of gas in the tank....maybe. Ever since he has been off the 'roids, he has been extremely injury prone. I mean ANY team that signs him, will have to sign him for a basic contract filled with incentives.

NFL Playoffs Picks - Week 1

Student Athelets and Class

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)