Week 7 Schedule and Television Coverage

My picks (in bold)

Sat 10/15 Indiana @ Wisconsin ESPN2 12:00 PM ET
Sat 10/15 Michigan @ Michigan State ESPN 12:00 PM ET
Sat 10/15 Purdue @ Penn State BTN 12:00 PM ET
Sat 10/15 Ohio State @ Illinois ABC/ESPN 3:30 PM ET
Sat 10/15 Northwestern @ Iowa BTN 7:00 PM ET

Bye Week: Minnesota, Nebraska

- Wisconsin ugly over Indiana 200-0 if they put in their 3rd string players.
- Michigan has too much in the tank for the Sparties unless Cousins gets red hot.
- Penn State continues to win ugly in close one.
- OSU hands the Fighting Illini their first loss.
- I think Northwestern has a pretty good 2-3 team...surprise Iowa at home.

Prime-time game big moment for Big Ten Network

Source

Saturday's Michigan-Northwestern night game at Ryan Field was a landmark moment for the Big Ten Network.

The BTN held an hour pregame show from a regular-season football game site for the first time.

"A sense that it's probably time in our evolution," said BTN host Dave Revsine, who hosted the morning pregame show, as usual, with analysts Gerry DiNardo and Howard Griffith at the downtown studios before heading to Evanston. "It's a big game, it's one of our biggest games of the year. To have Michigan on in prime time is a huge deal for us. It's going to be sold out and a fun atmosphere."

Hosting the show, scheduled to run before the game on the NU sideline, involved a few logistical challenges, but they managed.

Full Story

Two two cents: BTN's pregame, postgame and now prime-time shows are improving all the time. Kudos!

Michigan-Michigan State should be a good game tomorrow afternoon. I'm surprised that a lot of people are picking Illinois to beat Ohio State. The Illini have yet to win any big games, so tomorrow will be a huge test for them. I guess it boils down to who plays QB for the Buckeyes...a healthy Miller means victory.

All tied-up at 7-7 in a very windy, defensive-minded, halftime in Lansing. Both offenses have not looked sharp---defenses, weather and mistakes---but we'll see if this continues in the 2nd half. As usual, I'm very interested in seeing what adjustments Brady Hoke makes in the locker room. He has always come out and played better after making adjustments at halftime. We shall see.

All tied-up at 7-7 in a very windy, defensive-minded, halftime in Lansing. Both offenses have not looked sharp---defenses, weather and mistakes---but we'll see if this continues in the 2nd half. As usual, I'm very interested in seeing what adjustments Brady Hoke makes in the locker room. He has always come out and played better after making adjustments at halftime. We shall see.

For those teams that play much better after halftime adjustments ... I understand you have more time at halftime, but ...
WHY can't you make adjustments on the go ?
When your getting beat, try something different.

This goes for ALL teams, not just the Big Ten teams.

Bye Week: Minnesota

Minnesota still found a way to lose to bye.....good lord

Next week they play Nebraska at the Bank....all I remember as a kid is when Nebraska would throttle the Goofs in the 80's with scores like 63-7 and I could have sworn they hung 84 on the goofs once

Minnesota still found a way to lose to bye.....good lord

Next week they play Nebraska at the Bank....all I remember as a kid is when Nebraska would throttle the Goofs in the 80's with scores like 63-7 and I could have sworn they hung 84 on the goofs once

Could happen again :eek:

found a site that back in 1983 Nebraska beat the goofs 84-13

The last 2 times they played (89 & 90) the combined score was 104-0...sad part is this is the game on ABC at 2:30 this Saturday so most Big10 markets will get it

found a site that back in 1983 Nebraska beat the goofs 84-13

The last 2 times they played (89 & 90) the combined score was 104-0...sad part is this is the game on ABC at 2:30 this Saturday so most Big10 markets will get it

Or, it could be changed ...

This game belongs on the Big Ten Network.

nope. The assignments are already set for each network. And ABC took this game

All ABC can do is they have 2 other games in the timeslot (Maryland/Fla St and Iowa St/Texas A&M)..and give those games more exposure across the country

well sadly ABC didnt do that. The Nebraska slaughter is on in a fair amount of the country

111022_330_3.jpg

I'm thinking looking out at the lake at the cabin as a better option :)

I was suppose to be going to the Cottage this weekend, but that has been cancelled ... still trying to get the Dish set up done up there ...

I'm thinking there will be SNOW to deal with by the time we all can get together to do this ...

Michigan fans might find this interesting. According to the book Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football by John U. Bacon (whoever that is), Michigan said no to Les Miles, not the other way around. I know this is probably what most people thought (I did anyway), but it's interesting none the less.

A December 2007 conference call with Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman, former Athletic Director Bill Martin and Miles lays the groundwork for the search to replace Carr. Miles tells the Michigan president he "would never say no to Michigan," but insists he can't jump from LSU until after the Tigers' upcoming bowl game. If Michigan waits and asks in January, Miles says, "I will be your coach."

At that point, instead of entering a holding pattern, the coaching search veers improbably.

Bacon writes that it is Carr -- winner of Michigan's most recent national championship in 1997 -- who first reaches out to Rodriguez. It is Carr who calls Rodriguez to gauge his interest in becoming the Michigan coach. And that call takes place only hours after the conference call with Miles.

"Even if you haven't thought about it," Bacon reports Carr saying, "you should think about it now."

Readers are left to infer that Carr had a big role in picking Rodriguez, who took the job days later without setting foot on the campus. But then Carr, whose strong objections to Miles are documented early in the book, holds a team meeting after Rodriguez is introduced as the Wolverines' new coach, informing players he will sign their transfer papers if they want to leave.

And the rest is history. :)

New Book: Les Miles 'Would Never Say No To Michigan,' But Michigan Men Said No To Him | ThePostGame

Michigan fans might find this interesting. According to the book Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football by John U. Bacon (whoever that is), Michigan said no to Les Miles, not the other way around. I know this is probably what most people thought (I did anyway), but it's interesting none the less.

And the rest is history. :)

New Book: Les Miles 'Would Never Say No To Michigan,' But Michigan Men Said No To Him | ThePostGame

This is like a 5 part article if it's the one I read earlier, all about how the coaching search went when RRod was brought on.

This is like a 5 part article if it's the one I read earlier, all about how the coaching search went when RRod was brought on.
Is it? First I've seen of it. I guess the guy decided to pedal it off as a book. Looks like a few rash decisions were made at the time. Bet they regret it now.

Last Updated: October 25. 2011 11:47AM
'Three and Out': Part 2
Excerpt: U-M feared 'mass exodus' of players after Lloyd Carr retired
John U. Bacon

This second of five excerpts from "Three and Out" details the transition from Lloyd Carr to Rich Rodriguez as Michigan's coach.

Three weeks into the search for Lloyd Carr's successor, Michigan still didn't have a coach — or even a lead. On Dec. 10, 2007, Les Miles told athletic director Bill Martin and president Mary Sue Coleman he "would never say no to Michigan," but added that he could not negotiate with them until after his LSU team's national title game in January.

It will likely come as a surprise to most fans that Rich Rodriguez was first contacted by Michigan that evening by none other than Lloyd Carr. Rodriguez recalled that the 10- to 15-minute conversation was "very positive. He was definitely encouraging me to think about it."

The next day, Martin heard the first person to encourage him to think about Rodriguez, and that person was Lloyd Carr. (Carr did not respond to requests for an interview for this book.) That same day, someone leaked the story of Miles' resurrected candidacy to the press, which not only upset Miles, but effectively boxed him in.

Six days later, on Monday, Dec. 17, Michigan held a press conference to announce Rodriguez as the Wolverines' new football coach. Later that day, Rodriguez flew back to Morgantown, W.Va., to close out his business there. Before he returned a few days later, Carr suddenly called a team meeting. According to five players there, Carr told them he knew some had come to Ann Arbor to play for him, and some to play for Michigan. "But," he said, "you're here to play for Michigan."

"Of course," one player said, "every coach has to say that."

But not every departing coach has to say what Carr said next. He told them he wanted them all to be happy, and he recognized not everyone would want to go through the coaching change to come. So, he said, if any of them wanted to transfer, he would sign the form, since it requires the signature of the player's current coach.
'Mass exodus'

On its face, it seems like a simple, kind offer to look out for people he cared about — and, in fairness, that was probably part of his motive. But it was also interpreted by many of the players as a vote of no confidence in his successor before Rodriguez had conducted a single team meeting, a single workout, a single practice, yelled or sworn at a single player, or coached a single game. It was an invitation from Carr, someone they knew, admired, and looked to for direction — the man who had recruited them and promised their parents he would look out for them like a father — to execute a preemptive bailout, to transfer, to jump to the NFL, or simply to not come back for a fifth year.

Certainly that's how Michigan's former director of compliance, Judy Van Horn, read the gesture. When former director of football operations Scott Draper called over to compliance as soon as the players left the meeting — to give them a heads-up that a line of players might be asking for their transfer papers in a few minutes, and that Carr was prepared to sign all of them — the compliance officer alerted Van Horn. She told Martin of Carr's offer and said, "Bill, we just can't let this happen. It could be a mass exodus."

Van Horn then called Rodriguez. As Van Horn recalled, "Rich said, 'If a player wants to go, I don't want to make him stay. But I don't want Michigan to give any player a release until I've had a chance to talk with him.'"

That seemed fair, even generous, but Van Horn called the Big Ten office to make sure it would not be a violation of league rules. The Big Ten assured her Rodriguez's request was allowable, because he was not keeping anyone from transferring. Satisfied, Van Horn passed on Rodriguez's response to Scott Draper, who replied, "But Lloyd won't like that." The day raised more questions than answers, but no one questioned Draper's devotion to Carr. (Draper declined to be interviewed for this book.)

Carr's feelings aside, that was the policy created that day: Any player who wanted to transfer could do so, provided they talked with the new coach first. But even that low bar was too high for some players, including Ryan Mallett, who only spoke with Rodriguez on the phone before leaving Ann Arbor.
Little in common

There are about three dozen people who worked directly for both Carr and Rodriguez and know them well. Almost every single one of them told me, at one point, "Lloyd never liked Rich."

In many ways, their styles could not be more different. Carr came across as professorial, while Rodriguez was more comfortable as a good ol' boy. Carr was very private, even closed off. Rodriguez was open and outgoing. As early as the 2008 Capital One Bowl, Carr's final game, one athletic department staffer observed, "If those two were driving across the country together and couldn't talk about family or football, they wouldn't have anything to say to each other for 3,000 miles."

Carr was also no fan of the spread offense, which had tormented his team many times. In the last few years of Carr's tenure, he and his staff sponsored a fantasy camp to benefit U-M's children's hospital. In 2007, an adult camper asked one of Carr's assistants if they would learn about the spread offense. "The spread offense?" the assistant spat. "That's Communist football!"

Whatever friction might have existed between the two, it is simply impossible to square Carr's making an unsolicited call to Rodriguez to sell him on Michigan, and telling Martin that Rodriguez might be a good candidate, followed almost immediately by his offer to help any of his players transfer. It's even harder to square those actions with his new role as Michigan's associate athletic director, who was paid $387,000 a year to protect and promote the Michigan athletic department, football above all.

Excerpted from "Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football," by John U. Bacon, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, LLC. Copyright 2011 by John U. Bacon. All rights reserved.
'Three and Out'

The Detroit News is publishing excerpts this week from John U. Bacon's new book, "Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football."

Monday: Bill Martin's coaching search

Today: Rich Rodriguez takes over

Wednesday: The NCAA investigation

Thursday: A watershed moment against Illinois

Friday: Finally a bowl, but no fight left

From The Detroit News: Michigan Wolverines | Excerpt: U-M feared 'mass exodus' of players after Lloyd Carr retired | The Detroit News

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)