2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma, Wisconsin.

Going to be interesting. See Ohio State 8th, they have to beat Wisconsin and Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma all have to lose as well for them to get in.

Basically I see this. Auburn/Georgia. Clemson/Miami, Oklahoma or Albama, Wisconsin or Alabama.

One thing I'd like to see sooner than later is the playoffs expanded to 8 teams, that and get rid of half of the bowl games. :)
Your scenario is not quite the way they talked about it.

SEC winner is in (ill guess Auburn).
I'm gonna presume Clemson beats Miami (might not happen, but that winner is in, also, IF this is a real close game, could the both get in yet ?).
Oklahoma beats TCU and they are in.
Wisconsin wins and they are in.
No drama.

Now if Ohio State beats Wisconsin ... (this game could go either way).

Now remember, 1 of those teams playing in the other games will more than likely be out when they lose.

So, if we go with Auburn winning (they are the Hot team at the moment)
Well say Clemson wins
If the Buckeyes beat Wisconsin, they will discuss Bama and the Buckeyes.
Bama doesn't play any more so they can't improve thier situation, unless others drop out, which could happen, If Georgia should win and TCU should win it will get really interesting ...
I think TCU is too far back to get in, jumping for 10 to 4 is a huge jump for the last week.
A TCU win would make Oklahoma a 2 loss team ... a TCU win is not in the Buckeyes best interest because that would compare Ok woth OSU and OK beat them so in that situation, the Buckeyes would be out. (in my opinion.)
So, I am hoping for an Ok win.

Alabama wants Ohio State to win, knocking Wisconsin down and out, if Ok would lose big (don't expect it) then possibly Bama and OSU might make it in.
I think the committee will be in a no win situation if they debate Bama and the Buckeyes .

Everything I think comes down to how well these teams play this weekend.

Personally, I don't think that the Auburn / Georgia game will have any influence on OSU.

Interesting, your living in the past ... Buckeyes vs Gators was 11 years ago ....
2014, nobody wanted them in .... but the WON IT ALL ...
11 years ago, and we have a whole discussion about that game, it's still here in the archives if you don't believe me. And most of the people in it are the same people here. Hence my comment of history of whining. Weren't there people even complaining about having to play a good team (Oklahoma) at the beginning of the season?

As for 2014, I argued for them to be in it over the Big 12 teams. Again, if you don't believe me, it's all archived.

I'm not unhappy to see OU as #3, but I think the committee gave too much weight to Auburn beating an average Alabama team. I guess it will all come out in the wash if OU gets to play Auburn in round 1. Those two teams can switch rankings and it won't have any effect. They'll still play in the 1st round.

I'm not unhappy to see OU as #3, but I think the committee gave too much weight to Auburn beating an average Alabama team. I guess it will all come out in the wash if OU gets to play Auburn in round 1. Those two teams can switch rankings and it won't have any effect. They'll still play in the 1st round.
The rankings will be useful in determining locations.
This year the semi-finals are the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, with #1 getting the geographic advantage.

Clempson, Awbarn, Oklahoma (as well as Alabama, Georgia & Miami) as a #1 would go to the Sugar Bowl against #4, putting #2 & #3 in the Rose Bowl.

Wisconsin (and Ohio State) would likely get the Rose Bowl. The location is further, but the Big Ten has the history with the Rose Bowl, so a Big Ten as #1 would likely get placed there instead of the closer location.

So ironically it's to Awbarn & Oklahoma's advantage to drop to #4 if Clempson remains #1 in order to go to the Sugar Bowl instead of Rose Bowl (meanwhile Wisconsin would be better off as a #2 or #3 seed in order to go to the Rose). But I have a feeling that the committee played with Awbarn's ranking in order to setup a rematch in the Championship Game in Atlanta.

Agree, just not sure how they match up with the other two.

Looks like Jimbo=Gonza

Willie Taggart has been contacted by us, hence Oregon just offering him 20 mil in raise.

11 years ago, and we have a whole discussion about that game, it's still here in the archives if you don't believe me. And most of the people in it are the same people here. Hence my comment of history of whining. Weren't there people even complaining about having to play a good team (Oklahoma) at the beginning of the season?

As for 2014, I argued for them to be in it over the Big 12 teams. Again, if you don't believe me, it's all archived.
I believe you ....
My point was most of the Buckeye fans (not all) from back then have moved on.

That AVERAGE Bama team will probably get In ...

Last week Matt Campbell of Iowa State was rumored to be the next Nebraska coach .... the other day, Iowa State made Matt a very rich man with a long term contract .... :biggrin
Matt was previously the U of Toledo Rockets coach .... yes, the same Rockets that are in the MAC championship game this weekend.

Good work Matt !

That AVERAGE Bama team will probably get In ...
It's possible.

And average. I laughed at that when I read it initially.

Not the best team they have had, but still among the best in the nation. Perhaps the best healthy, which they haven't been the last 4 weeks of the year.

It's possible.

Not the best team they have had, but still among the best in the nation. Perhaps the best healthy, which they haven't been the last 4 weeks of the year.
Bama isn't as good as they usually are at this time of the year, that doesn't mean they can't go out and win ...

The thing about these games is, anything could happen in any of them ... whatever team that gets hot, not necessarily the best team can win it all.

People say, Ohio State shouldn't get in because they have 2 losses ... however, they could just like the rest, get hot and win it all.

Auburn looks like they are the team to beat as they are hot, but going by the OSU theory, they too have 2 losses, so many would say they shouldn't be there either ... just going on losses, not who they lost to.

So ... should the committee actually take the top 8 teams and see who are the 4 Hottest teams, and put them in ?

Hahaha, Ohio State has a history of whining. They cried because they had to play Florida instead of a team they already beat. They cry about how they have to play in the cold (40's & 50's) while teams down South play in the warmth (90's, bleh). They cry about a supposed home field advantage in bowl games for Southern teams, even though Florida is nowhere near Phoenix., etc..

All one has to do is look through the history of this board (the one about the before mentioned Florida - Ohio St. BCS game is a great example), as well as any number of Buckeye fan boards.

Heck, I've supported Ohio St. is some years, in getting into the BCS and/or championship (just looks at the 2014 posts for example), but I'll still call them out for not deserving to be in, as well as weak excuses for why they lost some of those games. Same with any other team.
All I know is I've never cried about any of that. Not once. If your good enough you can win anywhere.

Fans from every team have idiot fans. I'm just not one of them.

Feel free to call them out. I do and I always will.

Reactions: Jimbo and Derwin0
So ... should the committee actually take the top 8 teams and see who are the 4 Hottest teams, and put them in ?
Personally I'd prefer 16 teams, that way you take in all the conference champs and the best at-large teams left. They way they do in Basketball (as well as every other football division).

Ironic how the conferences that complain about being left out and the selections are the ones that opposed more than 4 teams, meanwhile the conferences that advocated more than 4 are the ones that have no problems getting in.

People say, Ohio State shouldn't get in because they have 2 losses ... however, they could just like the rest, get hot and win it all.

Auburn looks like they are the team to beat as they are hot, but going by the OSU theory, they too have 2 losses, so many would say they shouldn't be there either ... just going on losses, not who they lost to.
But the committee will go by who they lost to. One of those losses is far worse than the others. Just like they held Wisconsin back based on their schedule, and are doing the same to UCF.

It's possible.

I watched the whole Auburn game, and Alabama looked average. Alabama self-destructed, and Auburn didn't. That was the difference.

I watched the whole Auburn game, and Alabama looked average. Alabama self-destructed, and Auburn didn't. That was the difference.
Of course they did. They did the last three games of the season at least. Depleted at linebacker, offensive line starters out. It finally caught up with them.

As a healthy team, they have as much or more talent than anyone, and are far more dominant.

Reactions: HIFI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)