2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact Georgia or Tennessee, of whom are likely the top two teams in the country (really, does anyone else come close?), might have one of them not make it to the playoff is just stupid, and typical of the nonsense that is college football.

• Wow
Reactions: Jimbo
The fact Georgia or Tennessee, of whom are likely the top two teams in the country (really, does anyone else come close?), might have one of them not make it to the playoff is just stupid, and typical of the nonsense that is college football.
The good news is as soon as next year the format expands. As it should have been done 40 years ago!

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo
They'll both be making it in. The loser of the game will get in with a single loss, and the winner will get in after beating Alabama in the SEC championship game. If Alabama manages to win, then the SEC will get 3 teams in. :D

Except the problem is, unlike every other NCAA sport, this isn't about crowning a champion, it is about money. That is all college football has been about for a long long time. So there will be 6 or 8 teams in a playoff... 6 or 8 of generally the same teams every year as approved by the cartels with their fixed scheduling system?

Reactions: Jimbo and osu1991
For over 100 years, Tennessee and Georgia would have settled it in the most meaningful regular season in all of sports.

Playoffs are an answer to a question no one asked, and the larger the field, the dumber the idea.

For over 100 years, Tennessee and Georgia would have settled it in the most meaningful regular season in all of sports.

Playoffs are an answer to a question no one asked, and the larger the field, the dumber the idea.
Playoffs came about because of the ridiculous ranking system determining champions. College Basketball always has a tad bit of controversy during the bracket selection, but no one doubts the champion is the champion. College Football lacks that certainty.

So the playoff eventually came about thanks to the BCS which helped provide the fans a tad bit of fairness to the finality of a champion... and the Cartels controlled who was in. Now we have a four team playoff which makes things a bit fairer. Then a six or eight team playoff will makes things a bit fairer than that as usually a team 7 or lower isn't considered to be in the running.

But the problem is, when you have a bunch of teams playing 1/4 to 1/3 of their schedule against Jobbers, 2 maybe 3 games against viable competition, and the rest against historically local teams in a conference, there is no basis for a ranking system, other than... well, I guess this team is better than that team. But at least with a 6 to 8 team playoff, things are improved, as at least the top cartel teams are in with maybe one or two outsiders. Though if there are byes, they'll be arbitrarily based on antiqued rankings or smoky backroom cartel deal making.

Any body come Close ????
Really ????

My Buckeyes should be ahead of both.

Georgia had its hands full with MISSOURI and the Power House of the MAC Kent State.

Tenessee isn't flawless either, they had a hard time with Pittsburgh and Florida and Bama (that was a Big win for them)

Where was Tennessee before beating Bama in the polls ?

Yes, the Buckeyes also have had thier struggles from time to time, but nothing that was close to a loss.

The good news is as soon as next year the format expands. As it should have been done 40 years ago!
So now we have 12 teams playing in a playoff, which the same teams that would get there, will still get there ... this just makes it easier for the top teams to get in and be able to afford a loss.

They'll both be making it in. The loser of the game will get in with a single loss, and the winner will get in after beating Alabama in the SEC championship game. If Alabama manages to win, then the SEC will get 3 teams in. :D
NOT gonna happen .... theres No way they will get 3 teams in.
They may get 2 teams in because its thier Right or so they think.

Any body come Close ????
Really ????

My Buckeyes should be ahead of both.
Your? I think the rest of Ohio would want part ownership. ;)

I want OSU to win as much as you do. Okay, one quarter as much as you do because I think college football is the dumbest, least sporting game in "amateur" sports, but I want the SEC teams to burn in a pit of hell (I can say that word right, pit?). So we are in complete agreement there.

But OSU hasn't played anyone...(other than good ole over-rated Notre Dame) and don't say Penn State. So OSU, to me, is wholly unproven. And until they play Michigan, completely unproven.
Georgia had its hands full with MISSOURI and the Power House of the MAC Kent State.
That is Clemson's one big win... they beat the Zips! :D I think.
Tenessee isn't flawless either, they had a hard time with Pittsburgh and Florida and Bama (that was a Big win for them)
Tennessee has that for real vibe. Mind you, I pay no attention to college field hockey or whatever we are talking about here. It is just Tennessee has a, we are in the National Championship feel.
Where was Tennessee before beating Bama in the polls ?
That isn't on them. The people that put the polls together watch less College Football than I do. That is why Notre Dame is always there.

Your? I think the rest of Ohio would want part ownership. ;)

I want OSU to win as much as you do. Okay, one quarter as much as you do because I think college football is the dumbest, least sporting game in "amateur" sports, but I want the SEC teams to burn in a pit of hell (I can say that word right, pit?). So we are in complete agreement there.

But OSU hasn't played anyone...(other than good ole over-rated Notre Dame) and don't say Penn State. So OSU, to me, is wholly unproven. And until they play Michigan, completely unproven.

That is Clemson's one big win... they beat the Zips! :D I think.

Tennessee has that for real vibe. Mind you, I pay no attention to college field hockey or whatever we are talking about here. It is just Tennessee has a, we are in the National Championship feel.

That isn't on them. The people that put the polls together watch less College Football than I do. That is why Notre Dame is always there.
My point about where Tennessee was, is they have vaulted up the charts so they were high when they played Bama, so Bama would look like they played a great team in the minds of the sec pundits, this way, when Tennessee won, they Had to show respect to them ... which is fine, but they are SUDDENLY #1 in the country ?

After looking over the polls, I see Tennessee started out around #25 and has moved up Every week till they got up to around #8, then a pause and then start moving up again as the Bama game came closer.
Looking at thier schedule they have had a definite 3 easy wins, Ball State and Akron from the MAC and UT Martin ...
Thier wins however have been against # 17 Pittsburg, 19 Kentucky, 20 Florida and 25 .... and #3 , I guess at the time Bama.

With the way the sec teams are often ranked regardless of how well they are playing, that accounts for the number of teams in the polls they have played.
Pittsburgh is no longer ranked.
Kentucky is no longer ranked.
Florida is no longer ranked.
LSU has moved up to #10
Bama has dropped to #6

So, the fact that Penn State isn't great and neither is ND, the case for the sec isn't so great either.

You mentioned that the Buckeyes haven't played anyone, neither has most teams.
Tennessee got where they are by beating a lot of ok teams, none great and a Not as good as normal Bama.

It should be interesting to see how this all plays out thru the rest of the year.

I think Penn State is actually Better than they were expected.

The one I really don't know how they are up there is Clemson.
They have played 3 games that could have gone either way.

My point about where Tennessee was, is they have vaulted up the charts so they were high when they played Bama, so Bama would look like they played a great team in the minds of the sec pundits, this way, when Tennessee won, they Had to show respect to them ... which is fine, but they are SUDDENLY #1 in the country ?
I was expecting Tennessee to win that game. Again, vibe thing.
After looking over the polls, I see Tennessee started out around #25 and has moved up Every week till they got up to around #8, then a pause and then start moving up again as the Bama game came closer.
Looking at thier schedule they have had a definite 3 easy wins, Ball State and Akron from the MAC and UT Martin ...
Thier wins however have been against # 17 Pittsburg, 19 Kentucky, 20 Florida and 25 .... and #3 , I guess at the time Bama.

With the way the sec teams are often ranked regardless of how well they are playing, that accounts for the number of teams in the polls they have played.
Pittsburgh is no longer ranked.
Kentucky is no longer ranked.
Florida is no longer ranked.
LSU has moved up to #10
Bama has dropped to #6

So, the fact that Penn State isn't great and neither is ND, the case for the sec isn't so great either.
I won't disagree. College football is rife with 1980s WWF wrestling card matchups.
You mentioned that the Buckeyes haven't played anyone, neither has most teams.
Tennessee got where they are by beating a lot of ok teams, none great and a Not as good as normal Bama.

It should be interesting to see how this all plays out thru the rest of the year.

I think Penn State is actually Better than they were expected.

The one I really don't know how they are up there is Clemson.
They have played 3 games that could have gone either way.
Clemson suck.

I was expecting Tennessee to win that game. Again, vibe thing.

I won't disagree. College football is rife with 1980s WWF wrestling card matchups.

Clemson suck.
But Clemson manages to keep winning, some how ...
Can ND beat them ?

Perhaps if Ohio State wouldn't routinely lose against the SEC they might get some credit, but everybody is expecting another beat down by the SEC.
Every year stands by itself .... Teams are never the same from 1 year to another.

Every year stands by itself .... Teams are never the same from 1 year to another.
And yet you expect Ohio State to be ranked every single year as a "blueblood". Check the archive, because you made the argument that their past record should have them ranked high back when the pre-season polls came out.

Fact is, Ohio State consistently falls flat on their face when playing the SEC, no reason to think this year will be any different.

As for the Playoff Poll, I think Georgia and Tennessee should be flipped. No reason Tennessee should be above Georgia before they play, and Michigan should be above Clempson.

And yet you expect Ohio State to be ranked every single year as a "blueblood". Check the archive, because you made the argument that their past record should have them ranked high back when the pre-season polls came out.

Fact is, Ohio State consistently falls flat on their face when playing the SEC, no reason to think this year will be any different.

As for the Playoff Poll, I think Georgia and Tennessee should be flipped. No reason Tennessee should be above Georgia before they play, and Michigan should be above Clempson.
Michigan also sucks. Indeed, the Big Ten usually ends up jobbing to the SEC. Which is unfortunate because the SEC are a bunch of bums. But it is funny to watch people complain about rankings, when no one has a reasonable schedule to base a single team's ranking.

Imagine the MLB having a 10 game season, which included games against single A teams. And then trying to pick up those pieces and rank teams based on popularity with whomever gets to vote. Yankees fans whiing about how the Red Sox are always ranked, but they only played a MLB team twice in the season, while Red Sox fans complain about the Yankess' five games against the Penn League. YIPES!

If anyone should be fighting 4th/5th, it should be TCU. They've actually beat the competition in their conference already, for whatever that is worth.
But Clemson manages to keep winning, some how ...
Can ND beat them ?
Does it matter? Clemson lose, they drop six spots, Notre Dame moves to 7th.

Except the SEC... they are still bums. Year in... year out. They are better, usually much better, but they are still bums.

Status
Not open for further replies.