4 bay bowtie antenna only receiving uhf

00V8

Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Missouri
I decided to start experimenting with OTA programming so I found some plans online and built a bowtie antenna out of some 10GA solid copper wire. I am around 30 miles away from any of the local stations. The FCC site shows I should be able to receive 9 channels good, another 2 look suspect.

After temporary installation of the antenna I do get 9 channels but 2 of them are UHF channels from another market around 71 miles away, which come in very clearly actually, unfortunately none of the Hi-VHF channels come in at all so I am missing my local NBC network.

Is my problem with spacing between the V's or length? Any ideas what I did wrong?

I tried linking to the plans I used but it won't allow me to.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
I decided to start experimenting with OTA programming so I found some plans online and built a bowtie antenna out of some 10GA solid copper wire. I am around 30 miles away from any of the local stations. The FCC site shows I should be able to receive 9 channels good, another 2 look suspect.

After temporary installation of the antenna I do get 9 channels but 2 of them are UHF channels from another market around 71 miles away, which come in very clearly actually, unfortunately none of the Hi-VHF channels come in at all so I am missing my local ABC network.

Is my problem with spacing between the V's or length? Any ideas what I did wrong?

I tried linking to the plans I used but it won't allow me to.

Thanks in advance for the help!
:welcome00V8! Try replacing the www in the link with with zzz. Example: zzz.antennaplans.com
Also, if you could generate a report for your location at http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 and post the link here it will be easier for someone to help.:)

Here is the link to the plan
zzz.makezine.com/2009/01/23/maker-workshop-dtv-antenna-steadyca/

And my tv fool report.
zzz.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d2c15bccdf5a39a

The bowties are designed for UHF only. with your tvfool report shown VHF Hi (ch-8) I'd try a steath hawk up above the roof.
Other than that I'd go with something like a HBU33 - UHF plus VHF Hi. and aim it to the south east.

It looks like you only need to add the high VHF antenna to get NBC on channel 8. Your home built antenna appears to be working great for you for the UHF channels. 71 miles is a good distance for UHF coverage, so congratulations on your work.

You can get a VHF/UHF combiner and, using a couple short pieces of RG6 coax connect the two antennas together. From the combiner you can use one coax line down to your TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)