40" C/Ku - Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ice, I thought you were trying Cband?

Edit: I think you're trying for a Ku sig first so you can line the dish up.
Edit 2: There are at least 3 feeds on Ku you'll get a signal off from F1

Cascade said:
Ice, I thought you were trying Cband?

Edit: I think you're trying for a Ku sig first so you can line the dish up.

not yet...I'll try the C-Band on G10 and see if that works...otherwise, I'll put the other 36 up and aim it to a true south (G11 through T5), get the KU and then try C-Band...much easier since I dont have a meter :)

Who is going to start the C-Band on an 18" dish post? :) I am thinking of creating extention panels for my 1.2m to make it a 1.8m or greater. I will be posting my results soon.

I did that in the 80's with my 1 m dish in the UK......................can't really say how much it helped the signal, but its a great project.

18" C-Band dish.........theres an idea!

Wasn't C-band on a 30" tried, with only 3 or so analogue signals as a result? I'd guess that an 18" pizza-dish would be close to useless... then again, we're doing the impossible already...
... so nevermind ;)

PSB -

Do you sell these LNBF's? I'm extremely interested. I know the c-band lnbf on my 5 ft dish does pick up siignal's from c-band on the Primestar dishes, but that was back in the mostly analog days. IA-5 was real watchable, but AMC 4 and G3 had interference. Thanks!

I was thinking about extending my 30" as well until I started to think about parabolas. You gain nothing from the extentions as the dish depth also has alot to do with it. Here is a site that goes into the formula of constructing a porabola.: http://www.analyzemath.com/parabola/ParabolaDefinition.html

Even if you moved the lnb out to compensate for the extention, you then would not be in focus (convergence) for the inside of the dish, just in focus for the extension.

What I thought of doing was taking a sheet of aluminum and making an ARC so as to focus into the antenna from only two directions(instead of 360 degrees). I think if you figure in the length and depth of dish a person should be able to figure out the optimum focal depth for the LNB (point of convergence). I figure that the lnb would have to be centre mounted. I have seen a string method of easily seeing if you lnb is at the point of convergence. I'll try to find it and post later.

I did try C-Band on my 30" dish with no sucess on digital signals, however there were a few analog signals that I could watch with a whole lot of noise in the picture but there were as watchable as the 3 channels we had in the before cable days off from an antenna as a kid.

You might be able to tune the LNBF and get some digital off from a 30". What I did was simply mount the LNB on the dish and play, I didn't try to do any serious tuning and think I only tried a blind scan on one satellite and came up with nothing.

I am thinking that the WB that PSB found wasn't HD. If it is tp 1 on G11 we use it all the time in cable and it is not HD. It might be that an adjacent satellite was throwing enough noise into the signal to not get a good (bitrate) or signal into the receiver.

The problem with the little dishes and C-Band is not so much the gain of the dish as the selectivity of it to null out other satellites interference.

I am glad you guys have expiermentd with it and I plan on getting my 1.2M up with the C-Band LNBF on it to see what I can get digitally. It is not a replacement for a BUD but rather an addition to the KU dish.

Wholeshoe

I "think" I was/am on G4R...... the dish is pointing slightly further west than my true south (IA-6 @ 93w) I should have maybe mentioned that. :eek:

"It is not a replacement for a BUD but rather an addition to the KU dish." :clap :clap :clap

Pushing it! But its a great project! And a lot of fun!

WOW!

Getting a few more channels now! Moved the dish further west!

Repretel C Perfect picture 38% quality

VHSA TAB Slight break up 35% quality

Canal 3 GU scrambled

Televisiet " "

Tele-once " "

Trecevisio " "

NBA SA ENC " "

Got mine today

Just walked in from work (1:00am) and saw a nice big box on the counter. My DMS ASC421! Can't wait until daylight so I can set it on my dish!

I'll be using it with my Fortec Ultra and my Nexus PCI card. If successful I'll post some screen shots. Like PSB said, my 36" dish will probably be pushing it, but what the heck, it is fun trying! :)

Man, I haven't had so much fun since............... well I can't remember.

MrM :yes

pdnettles said:
Think It'll work with a 36"?

PD

I tried it last night on G10 with no success
77 signal b ut 0 quality :(

Part of the issue is the rings hit the arm (the arm doesnt drop at a good enough angle)

Maybe this weekend (pending rain...damn rain) I might try to see if I can get something on like Ia6, G11, or G3

PSB: Have you tried hitting the Equity TP on G3C yet? I am really curious about that one.. even thinking about picking up a 6 footer just for that one

CharredPC said:
Now, Pete; FLIP IT!

Unless it's pouring :D
My current theory is that those wide dishes will work better at 90 degrees than set up normally (Less overlap, more signal gain from individual birds).

This is totally the wrong way of thinking. The fact of the matter is it's just the opposite. That is, the wider a dish is horizontally, the narrower the beamwidth will be horizontally. This is one of the advantages an oval dish, like the oval primestars, that's wider than it is taller has over a round dish. My guess is that the reason why you and others around here are make this incorrect assumption that it should be the other way around, is because oval dishes are often used with mutiple LNBs to recieve multiple satellites but the thing to remember here is that in those type applications the multiple LNBs are located at different focal points. The reason wide oval dishes work well for this type of application, (multi satellite reception from multiple feeds) is the same reason they have the narrower horizontal beamwidth. That is that as the angle of the incoming signal moves off the center axis in the horizontal plane the focal point for that signal moves farther away from it's original location than it would on a narrower dish. This makes it easier to physically locate the feedhorns and LNBs without them having to be so close together that they can't physically fit. So, for anyone who wants to try to recieve C band singals on these small dishes you definitely want to orient them so that they are wider horizontally. To flip them and mount them the other way would only make matters worse. Of course now I'm refering to a motorised dish. For a fixed dish installation youd want to skew the dish appropriately.

On Anik F1 107w now : ) Its very overcast.

APTN YellowKnife Breaking up.

Newsworld Perfect picture

The Weather Network Perfect picture

CTV RED/GREEN/BLUE Black screen

All signals at 36-38% Quality Satwork 3618

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)