40" C/Ku - Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi Guy's,

After many month of having installed an ASC421 on my 1m winegard, I have just had the time to play with it. I had to setup staging to get to the dish. It's about 15 feet up.

Well I was able to get for example Galaxy 16 (99W) 3780V, 26000 WB feeds and 3820V, 26000 WB Feeds

I was also able to get on Intsat 805 (55W) 3677,4232 Peru channel.

This is OK but I was hopeing to get more channels on a satellite. I tride punching in transponder freq based on Lyngsat but wasn't able to get them.

Like alot of people on this thread I was able to get "H" transponder and very few "V".

I know that Pete gave up and finally got a 6ft dish.

Are people with the 1.2m dishes getting alot more channels?

Pete, how do you like your 6 ft dish? Where did you get it? Do you have an actuator arm on it?

Thank you,

Virgil

WoW! Yes I LOVE my 6" mesh dish and my VonWeise actuator !

It was FREE, just had to go and remove it!

I had a LOT of fun with my 40" P* dish and if I had not started with it I am sure I would never have got round to getting a BUD!

Attachments

• Pict0002.JPG
    Pict0002.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Pict0050.JPG
    Pict0050.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Pict0075.JPG
    Pict0075.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Pict0033.JPG
    Pict0033.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 195
Hi Pete,

I'm thinking to look around my area to see if I can get one for free. The work to take it apart and re assemble it is easy.

I have a few questions for you:

1. How do you know what size actuator to use?
2. Does the actuator size (18", 24") give you the range that you can scan the sat belt or is that more for the size of the sat?
3. How good is the 6' dish for reception? For example, can you get RTPi on Intelsat 805 (55W) and DW on PAS9 (58W)?
4. Is there a brand C-band dish that you would recommend or have heard things about?

It will be easier to talk my wife into a 6' than an 8' -10'.

Thank you,

Virgil

1. I use a 24" but its overkill for this size of dish

2. As above the actuator I use is too big for the swing of the dish. I think an 18" actuator would be more than enough for a 6' dish.

http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html#anchor800428

3. Don't think I can get round that far as my BUD is on the ground and I have some trees in that direction. DW is available else where, thats what this dish was used for before I got it, and you should be able to get RTPi but I would wait and ask someone who can actually see that satellite.

http://www.intelsat.com/apps/coverage-maps/sat_foot.htm?name=805&loc=304.5&beam=0&dir=E

4. I use the Sami 6' mesh dish

http://www.samidish.com/SAMIINST2.pdf

Hi Pete,

Thank you!! Those are good information sites for C-band.

I'm going to start looking for my c band dish. I love my Ku but having both C/Ku is so much better. Once again thank you.

Best regards,

Virgil

Hi Pete,

I have located a 6' Dish. I'm going to buy the entire system (dish, actuactor, recievers) for $50.00. Not as good of a deal as you got Pete!! I think I could of got if for free if I pushed it.

I have to move it my self. The dish will need to have the bolts all replaced. It's in good condition.

I believe the dish manufacture is ORBIT, at least thats what I think I read on the feedhorn. Have you ever hear of them? Do you know any web sites with info on it.

Thank you,

Virgil

Orbit is a satellite magazine. I don't know if they ever made dishes or equipment, but it's possible. There was a company called Orbitron, they had good stuff. There may have also been another company called Orbit that sold satellite equipment that I don't know of. Here is an Orbit magazine website:
http://www.orbitmagazine.com/wfeedsac.htm
Maybe this can help you? Although this is a reference for analog wild feeds.

Al

Hi Guys,

The 6' dish is an Orbitron. It came with a Pansat 1000 and a Uniden analog reciever. I want to thank Pete for pushing me over the edge into C-Band.

I set it up this weekend and have it tracking the arc. The jack was frozen because the dish hadn't been moved in a couple of years. I was able to get it somewhat working but ended up using a screw driver to turn the jack.

I installed the ASC421 on it and found that all the vertical channels where coming is as horizontals and the horizontals where coming in and verticals. I tried rotation the ASC421 in different directions, but that didn't help. Does anyone else have this problem? Any seuggestion?

One last question. how do you know what size jack you have? I think the one I have is an 18". I measured how far out it went. Can any one recommend a good jack and who to buy it from (Peter).

Thank you,

Virgil

Check out Skyvision as a starting place for an actuator but of course shop around!

Make sure the LNB is at 9 o'clock, there is a skew mark and make sure to stand in front of dish when setting the skew!

Hi Virgil,
It sounds like your skew is 90 degrees off. I made the same mistake the first time I set up a KU LNBF.

Hi Guys,

Thanks! I will change the skew on the ASC421 so that the "0" is at 9 o clock position when looking at the dish.

Are there any particular actuators that are better than others? I've heard of VanWeiser and Skyjack.

Thank you,

Virgil

Hi Guys,

The 6' dish is an Orbitron. It came with a Pansat 1000 and a Uniden analog reciever. I want to thank Pete for pushing me over the edge into C-Band.

I set it up this weekend and have it tracking the arc. The jack was frozen because the dish hadn't been moved in a couple of years. I was able to get it somewhat working but ended up using a screw driver to turn the jack.

I installed the ASC421 on it and found that all the vertical channels where coming is as horizontals and the horizontals where coming in and verticals. I tried rotation the ASC421 in different directions, but that didn't help. Does anyone else have this problem? Any seuggestion?

One last question. how do you know what size jack you have? I think the one I have is an 18". I measured how far out it went. Can any one recommend a good jack and who to buy it from (Peter).

Thank you,

Virgil

Guide for Locating C/Ku-Band Satellites

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts