4D 920 Upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satkat1

Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Calif.
Im looking to get new maps and battery replacement on my 920
Does any body now some one that they recommend to me to do the up grade?
>>>>Thanks Steve

Kinda surprised non of the 4DTV 'guys' have jumped in here yet. I'm not a 4DTV guy myself, but from what I've garnered from the threads, I'd say don't unplug your unit unless the battery has already been replaced. Check the numbers on screen and on the label on the back do match. Think details can be found with a site search(I don't remember the 'details' of the procedure to get the onscreen numbers) If they match, replace the battery without unplugging the unit to retain the numbers. (guess you'd have to do that to be able to ship it to someone)
If they don't match, it can be used as a dish mover and get some ITC 4DTV with the new maps, but subscribing is impossible..
Being I'm not anywhere an authority, subject to correction, except pretty dang sure don't unplug the unit until the battery is replaced especially if intending to subscribe.
The last place suggested to send a receiver, unfortunately, has ended service http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/316581-ATS-Electronics-going-out-of-business
After that don't know if one of the 4DTV 'guys' could do it (I read the shipping of those is $$) but most likely could 'talk you thru the procedure. I'd suggest reading the stickies pertaining to it in this C band section of the forum

Fat air is correct - don't unplug power until battery change if you can avoid it.

If uid doesn't match sticker on back then it's no good for subscription

Battery swap is easy for someone with basic electronics skills, soldering etc.

To use map master maps you need a dongle, lots of details posted right here.

If you have specific questions ask and we'll see how to best assist.

IMHO it's worth keeping the old girls going, I have a few of the 920, 922 & 410 active, kinda hard to let go :)

Can you replace the battery while it's still plugged in?

If you can, I would think you could completely remove the old battery and then soldering in the new battery without loosing the I.D. number.

You must unplug it to remove the videocypher module. The battery is under that module. Otherwise yes you can, but remember there is high voltage in there.

Ok, do NOT remove the old battery before installing the new one. It's possible to parallel solder the new battery over the leads of the present battery, and then clip the leads close to the old battery to remove the 'body' of it. Do NOT use a old-school ac transformer type soldering gun to do this! You need to use a soldering pencil, and be very careful since you have to do it while it's powered up.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7738566_replace-battery-4dtv-920-receiver.html

I used a butane soldering iron to do the swap. Did most of the work with the unit plugged in, only disconnected power long enough to remove the VC module. Work quickly and carefully. If the old battery leaks then your motherboard will be toast quickly (very corrosive).

I use battery with attached wires and bridge the old battery. then remove the old battery. Have replaced lots of them no data loss. Make sure you observe polarity. EASY !

like satkat1 I`m also looking for a competent individual or company to replace the battery and install new maps in my DSR922.
PLEASE HELP, I can`t perform these tasks myself.

Last I heard on this the company that was performing these services went out of business a few months back. There "may" be someone on here that might do it if you're not up to the task.

Might try finding a local electronics repair shop and give them the links to the online tutorials for doing the changeout, then they could quote you a price for the job.

As heavy as these units are just the shipping both ways would be pretty steep...buy local. ;)

I would still someone to do the map restoration.
CAN ANYONE MAKE A RECOMMENDATION??

Any switched standard lnbf can be used in multi-forms of the different provider types (which change over time in type); and their new/old stuff too! Arrays of lnbf's can be arranged on any dish; and plug their receiver into their lnbf! ;) I see many technicians with motors and a quad polarity pick up most satellites and for bench work have multi providers (add Canadian and other's) I use a meter as bench: but at a bench, each receiver asks for "its" signal (does the tuner become a tunee?). The FTA receivers daisy chain port, FTA parameter entrys; all the way to the chips they contain Are also required for some. Like being able to change only the letters on old burned IR programmabble chips so the memory would print the new letter and number of the display; yes, any satellite a free to air receiver must be programmed for the satellite signal it receives. It depends on its ability to receive; And The Kind Of Signal; And The "Ability to Tune To The Signal of the Satellite" Does not mean the pass-through port cannot be used to any providers receiver which then "makes your pictures"!!!!! ;@ port the fta receiver then; after tuning to the correct satellite passes the signal of one polarity ( or the nuked half of it )!!!???$$$

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)