4D MAP MASTER Progress report?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clay_horton

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
How is the 4D Map Master Project progressing? The last update seems to hold promise.

USBBDM NT $60 usbjtag (dot) com shows for dsr boxes but will connect to mobo on 905/922

The only thing else you will need is a usb cable like ones used on printers with square connector on one end, that and computer/basic electronics skill (and cajones, lol).

When the project is finished all information that is current at the time will be on the webpage where you will be able to get the program. If you want to get a jump on things follow lonewolfs advice above. You will also need to be able to take the cover off the 4D interface it with your computer and load information. Possibly down the road we may come up with another way of loading. We lack the tools and funds to hire people skilled in certain things required to design an RF interface. We have also lost a team member that got very sick that was a main backbone for us and R&D. Our prayers are with him that he recovers soon and can join in again.

...We lack the tools and funds to hire people skilled in certain things required to design an RF interface...

Personally, I think the BDM interface is the way to go anyway. An RF solution would be a "restore" only solution, unless I'm missing something. A BDM solution would allow for both backup & restore. But the value of the ability to backup would be directly affected by whether or not the backup included setup info like dish positions & tiles programmed.

Of course, I can see the advantages of RF as well... easy to use (more people could do it), less dangerous, and editable lists could be DL'd from others who have BDM.

I'm really encouraged to see that the affordable USBBDM-NT is being considered as a solution.

Cheers

USBBDM NT $60 usbjtag (dot) com shows for dsr boxes but will connect to mobo on 905/922

The only thing else you will need is a usb cable like ones used on printers with square connector on one end, that and computer/basic electronics skill (and cajones, lol).

USB Jtag v2 - Firmware Programmer (10/14 pin Compatible)

List Price: $58.00
Shipping: Free Priority Mail (2-3 day delivery)
Turnaround Time: 24-48 hrs of order received
Included: USB Jtag v2, Installation Electronic CD, (1) Free Pinheader
Availability: Currently In Stock

Since they are only two choices on the site I guess it is the one above that you are referring to?

Candid

USB Jtag v2 - Firmware Programmer (10/14 pin Compatible)

List Price: $58.00
Shipping: Free Priority Mail (2-3 day delivery)
Turnaround Time: 24-48 hrs of order received
Included: USB Jtag v2, Installation Electronic CD, (1) Free Pinheader
Availability: Currently In Stock

Since they are only two choices on the site I guess it is the one above that you are referring to?

Candid

No! You want USB BDM interface. It is $60 plus. The software to use is USBJTAG NT.
hxxp://www.usbjtag.com/zenshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=11&zenid=efc37f96f5101e6e0a1ed664a7d41a64

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out but I'm a bit concerned over all the secrecy of the development. Are you planning to make it proprietary and charge people for this software?

The public release to restore maps to pre 1/4 with cleanup & additions will be free as far as I know. Which is very generous considering all the time & effort put into this project by the group for free. If advanced additions are released (different loading methods etc) there may be a charge. I cannot predict that future now. It depends on what has to be done costs, etc. The software will belong to the respected coders and it will be their decision as to copyright, end user agreement etc.

I don't understand why you think it's so secret? Let me explain, I post what I think is best at this point for the public eye. Motorola is watching we know it and we in no way want to say something that can slip out that they won't like. Actually you shouldn't be concerned what is under the hood if it gets the job done.

If your a software or hardware developer or ee and wish the join the group, we will review your qualifications and let you in if you can be an active contributer. We don't need lerkers hanging around just reading our work at our private database/forum so they can see all the details involved. We need active members that get involved and do things.

If you wish to apply go here and read what we need:
4D Map Master... The ONLY way to map the 4DTV!

I would have no problem paying a reasonable fee to get the maps right on my two 920s and (now) one 922.
I know that the original program had problems with 920s (more than 922s) over the sidecar, so with all the effort going into
this I would hope they can get around those issues. Once the program and methods are detailed I don't have
any qualms about performing them as I have 40 years of working in electronics as experience to fall back on.

Hopefully the Denver Nets can be brought back since that is my primary desire for the 4D systems.
Currently I have two subs active, but I cannot wait forever for the HITS to add channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts