Status
Please reply by conversation.

jericho07

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
the land of Nod
Hi,

This is my first post here. I just bought a used GI DSR-920 for $10.00 over the weekend at a flea market. It is in good shape but came with no remote or guide.

I have it hooked to a 7.5 ft Perfect 10 dish with a Chapparal C / Ku feedhorn.

Fortunately, the lithium battery is still functioning. But I'm having a couple of other problems. First of all, I accidentally deleted several key satellites including the ones that are designated for the program guides. I don't know how to get them to reappear. Do I need to do a master reset? Or, can I get a rehit from a provider and make them reappear.

I also have another problem where the receiver is losing satellite positions. I program them in and set them. It seems to remember the correct locations for awhile and then I move the dish to other satellites and it starts missing it's mark. I have heard that connecting the shielded ground wire from the back of the box to the actuator motor will correct this.

Can I program a standard universal remote from wal-mart to work with the 4dtv box or will I have to purchase a specific 4dtv remote?

Thanks,

Jericho

Also, before I accidentally deleted the sats a few days back, I was able to download the program guide. I wasn't on G1 -3 when it happened. At the time, I was checking out different satellites. Are there any other sats / channels I can go to where it will remap and possibly get back the sats I deleted?

I tried to use a couple of different standard universal remotes with no luck. Does it have to be a 4dtv specific remote or is there some brand that will work.

I am trying to avoid doing a master reset as I'm currently running 6D and I'm afraid it will revert back to 61 and from what I've read, that version is missing certain satellites.

I would do a mater reset, if you are having problems with mispositioning it could be the sensor in the arm.

It is best to do a master reset on G1 so it will be at 5000, after the reset set the unit up for your location, then set the limits and program 3-5 satellites across the arc, after this go back to 5000 and program G1 then go to 3 and shut the unit off for half an hour to load maps, after this the easy sat locater should work and the unit should find all sats on it's own, little bumping and skewing to get the max quality is normal.

After loading your maps you can call NPS or SRL to reactivate the unit for digital.

Keep in mind that the battery may die so if you can have it changed do it asap.

I managed to delete the satellites with the buttons on front of the receiver. At the time, I thought I could delete them then reinstall them. I sure found out different.

Is a master reset the only way to get them back ?

I have had no luck downloading the program guide. I even attempted to designate one of the unused satellites for G-1 and I can even get all the analog channels on G-1. But, when I tune to ch. 3, the DC light doesn't light up. However, it does on the music channels on P9. and on some of the other scattered channels.

You can program the satellites back in if you had a remote.

They are not deleted from the receiver memory, just from view.

If you have G1 programmed back in, tune to channel 5 Classic Arts analog, and move the dish until you can view that channel. Then change to channel 3 and you should be able to get the maps.

Fred

You can program the satellites back in if you had a remote.

If you have G1 programmed back in, tune to channel 5 Classic Arts analog, and move the dish until you can view that channel. Then change to channel 3 and you should be able to get the maps.

Fred

I used one of the unused sats (m1 I think) to tune to G1. I get all the analogs , but no digitals on G1. I am getting Classic Arts , but when I change to 3 the DC light does not light up. However, it does light up on other sats/channels. I have tried to adjust the skew and dish position but no lock on ch 3.

I used one of the unused sats (m1 I think) to tune to G1. I get all the analogs , but no digitals on G1. I am getting Classic Arts , but when I change to 3 the DC light does not light up. However, it does light up on other sats/channels. I have tried to adjust the skew and dish position but no lock on ch 3.

My 920 is doing the same thing. On G1 3, the DC doesn't light up but will on TP 150 and others.
Reckon Motorola have changed where the dish needs to go for its nightly upgrade/mapping?

Got a new remote yesterday. One of our local sat shops had one in stock. I did a master reset and had NPS reactivate the digital channels. It works great ! I spent a couple of hours setting it back up. Now, all I gotta do is change out that lithium battery. Anyone know where I can get the correct one?

You can do mail order for one with solder tabs (mouser or digikey), or you can get one at radio shack which looks like a AA battery. You'll need their black AA holder since it doesnt have solder tabs. Thats what I did.
Solder in the wires from the empty holder, snap in new battery then unsolder the one off the system board.

Some guys bought 2 AA holders and put them in parallel. That way, when its time to change battery again, they just put new one in 2nd black holder, then take out the old one from 1st AA holder.
Who knows if 4DTV will be around that long but its an idea.

DSR-920 Battery Replacement Instructions

I am in the process of resurectiong a C-band system. And I have had a few problems with my 920 as well. But they are probably because of my own ignorance as I am new to the C-band stuff.

I have a remote, and somehow seem to have deleted a couple of satellites, and cannot figure out how to get them back.

Also, I am unable to pick up G1 good enough to get a digital signal as my neighbors trees are in the way. Which is really bad as a local installer said I should not have a problem.

With the deleted satellites, I called NPS for help, but they would only give me a hit if I was a paying customer?!?! That is even though I read on several internet sites that I was supposed to call them to 'activate' my receiver, even if I was not ready to subscribe. Can anyone give me any more insight into this response from NPS or how to get back the satellites that I accidentally deleted?

I am in the process of resurectiong a C-band system. And I have had a few problems with my 920 as well. But they are probably because of my own ignorance as I am new to the C-band stuff.

I have a remote, and somehow seem to have deleted a couple of satellites, and cannot figure out how to get them back.

Also, I am unable to pick up G1 good enough to get a digital signal as my neighbors trees are in the way. Which is really bad as a local installer said I should not have a problem.

With the deleted satellites, I called NPS for help, but they would only give me a hit if I was a paying customer?!?! That is even though I read on several internet sites that I was supposed to call them to 'activate' my receiver, even if I was not ready to subscribe. Can anyone give me any more insight into this response from NPS or how to get back the satellites that I accidentally deleted?

Will your dish go to G1, TP 3? If you got the dish all aligned and able to go to satellite to satellite, and programmed to go to G1 TP3 everynight, then while it is downloading whatever is needed to be downloaded, it should have remapped those deleted satellites.
If you don't have a owner's manual, you can go to a 4DTV forum site and be able to download a copy of the GI DSR 920 manual. You can do a master reset on the 920 and let it completely remap itself. I can't tell you what to do here but do insist going to those sites. Go to Google, type in "GI DSR 920" and go to the sites. They are very helpful. Don't go to NPS unless you're planning to subscribe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts