4K Upgrade In 2022

EarDemon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
USA
With exception of replacing the HR34 with an HR44 years ago, my DirecTV set up has not changed since I subscribed again back in 2011. I have one 4K TV and will be getting another by the end of the year. My current set up is as follows

Dishes: Slimline 5, World Direct
DVRs: HR24, HR44
SWM: 8 Channel Switch w/power adaptor, Two-way splitter

What does a two room 4K install look like these days? I assume a HS17 with 2 C61K minis? I would prefer to have no wireless connectivity, everything connected to everything else with a cable be it coax or Ethernet. I don’t think DirecTV broadcasts anything on 95 anymore so I assume the World Direct dish would be disconnected. Wouldn’t mind a new Slimline 5 as the current one is starting to rust a little around the bolts of the reflector.

What kind of switches and/or splitters are used in this type of setup? Last weekend I started, and this weekend I’m going to finish my basement wiring clean up. With four runs of speaker wire, three runs of CAT 6a, cable and satellite internet and cable and satellite TV going to two TVs it’s more or less a giant mess. DirecTV alone is 7 or 8 runs of coax. If a few of those can be eliminated that would be great.

Random, I thought I read somewhere cannot combine 4K and international (not counting Spanish) ...

Disregard that.. can't remember where I read it ...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Random, I thought I read somewhere cannot combine 4K and international (not counting Spanish) ...

Disregard that.. can't remember where I read it ...

The international dish is no longer used at all, it can be disconnected and thrown away. All channels are received via the Slimline, so he's no longer blocked from getting a 4K upgrade.

Reactions: dtv757 and John2021
i have an HS-17 and 3 4 k mini's hooked up to a slimline dish and a 4 way SWM splitter. the install could not get any cleaner than that. i also had the tech put the grounding block inside also since that's one of the first failure points in the system.. and there is no wireless setup for 4k!!! i went all 4k to avoid another contract later on...

Here I was hoping someone was going to show us a New 4K Genie when I saw the thread title.
Ya know, a New recvr that does 4K without addl. parts and fees.

I must have been Dreaming ... :pray :sleep

Reactions: mdram and AZ.
Here I was hoping someone was going to show us a New 4K Genie when I saw the thread title.
Ya know, a New recvr that does 4K without addl. parts and fees.

I must have been Dreaming ... :pray :sleep
I was hoping for a box like the hopper 3. Now I know I'm dreaming

i have an HS-17 and 3 4 k mini's hooked up to a slimline dish and a 4 way SWM splitter. the install could not get any cleaner than that. i also had the tech put the grounding block inside also since that's one of the first failure points in the system.. and there is no wireless setup for 4k!!! i went all 4k to avoid another contract later on...

Thanks for the info!

Just to confirm, you have one line of coax coming from LNB into the splitter I have in the Amazon link below, and then then four lines of coax, one going to the HS17 and three going to the each of the Mini's and that's it?

Amazon product ASIN B00BW60R68View: https://www.amazon.com/DirecTv-MSPLIT4R1-03-Approved-4-Way-Splitter/dp/B00BW60R68

I assume then Ethernet would run into the HS17 and provide WAN access to all Minis. While it would look stupid, I would want the HS17 and the next to each other as I have a network switch in my entertainment center, where my HR44 plugs into.

Reactions: John2021
Thanks for the info!

Just to confirm, you have one line of coax coming from LNB into the splitter I have in the Amazon link below, and then then four lines of coax, one going to the HS17 and three going to the each of the Mini's and that's it?

Amazon product ASIN B00BW60R68View: https://www.amazon.com/DirecTv-MSPLIT4R1-03-Approved-4-Way-Splitter/dp/B00BW60R68

I assume then Ethernet would run into the HS17 and provide WAN access to all Minis. While it would look stupid, I would want the HS17 and the next to each other as I have a network switch in my entertainment center, where my HR44 plugs into.
Yes your correct!!! that's the splitter i have.. there's one coax coming in from the LNB!!! I have my genie 2 connected via wifi... but yes there's an ethernet port on the HS 17

Thanks for the info!

You have a HS17 AND a HR44 on the same set up ????

Yes your correct!!! that's the splitter i have.. there's one coax coming in from the LNB!!! I have my genie 2 connected via wifi... but yes there's an ethernet port on the HS 17
Thanks for the confirmation, exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks for the confirmation, exactly what I was hoping for.
cpu.jpg

Reactions: dtv757
Mine (genie 2) has esata and I'm using an external HDD

I think only older models have e sata.

Got mine in 2017 (hs 17-500)

No. How did you get that from my post?
This is what I was looking at ...
I have my genie 2 connected via wifi... but yes there's an ethernet port on the HS17

People use Genie2 for a whole lot of things.

Technically, the HR34 was Genie, HR44 should have been a Genie 2 and the HR54 a Genie 3, the HS17 is a different animal all together ...
Some call the Clients a Genie 2, which they are not.

The HS17 has also been labeled a Genie 2

This is what I was looking at ...
I have my genie 2 connected via wifi... but yes there's an ethernet port on the HS17

People use Genie2 for a whole lot of things.

Technically, the HR34 was Genie, HR44 should have been a Genie 2 and the HR54 a Genie 3, the HS17 is a different animal all together ...
Some call the Clients a Genie 2, which they are not.

The HS17 has also been labeled a Genie 2
The only Genie 2 is the HS17. The HR34, 44, and 54 are Genies. The clients are just clients.

Reactions: Jimbo
The only Genie 2 is the HS17. The HR34, 44, and 54 are Genies. The clients are just clients.
People are very often calling Clients a Genie2 as well.

I know the HS17 is the Genie 2, has been since the beginning ... I was annoyed when they decided to not call it by its model number like all the others, thats where people confusion started.

People are very often calling Clients a Genie2 as well.

I know the HS17 is the Genie 2, has been since the beginning ... I was annoyed when they decided to not call it by its model number like all the others, thats where people confusion started.
Well, I can't help people calling a client a Genie 2! ;) I assume the HS17 is sometimes referred to as a Genie 2 because it's a different iteration compared to the previous models since it doesn't have HDMI outputs.

Well, I can't help people calling a client a Genie 2! ;) I assume the HS17 is sometimes referred to as a Genie 2 because it's a different iteration compared to the previous models since it doesn't have HDMI outputs.
They really shouldn't have called the HS17 a Genie2 at all, its not like the Original Genie at all.
It should be called an HS17 or a Server. Maybe Genie Server.

oh there's NO e-sata port for an external HDD. don't know if you were using one!!!
Thanks, but don’t care about external storage, don’t even care about internal storage. The 2 TB hard drive in the HS17 is way, way, way too much for me. I watch my previous night’s recordings when I get home from work. It’s extremely rare that a recording stays on my DVR for more than 24 hours. Between the two DirecTV DVRs and two Spectrum DVRs I have 3.5 TB worth of storage and all four are 100% empty at this moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)