6 foot dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is the most informative thread I've read on setting up a dish. Thanks to all who contributed!
I also got a lot of info from the thread that first offered the dish for $69.95.
My favorite parts are the low-tech adaptations.
I now have the dish described here and enough gear to set it up as a fixed dish and I am anticipating the challenge.
This will be a test-run for a 9-foot mesh dish that I scavenged last summer and hope to install next summer.

Being in the high desert in Palmdale, CA (everyday wind), I've had some problems with the weld quality for the polar mount. I've had it up almost a year and have had the upper mount bracket weld break loose from the top angle steel crossbeam that bolts to the ring. I fixed that by clamping it in place then drilling and bolting it to the crossbeam. I was doing some adjustments and greasing the ballscrew yesterday and noticed where the "U" frame welds to the top of the mount has slightly twisted and the front weld is cracking. This is due to the constant wind coming from the west. I'm in the process of making some braces to mount from the bracket to the pole and will bolt them directly through the pole and up to the main bolt that holds the pivot point on the front of the bracket. I looked at the Sadoun polar mount for the same size dish and the top of the mount is actually capped and then the "U" frame is welded all the way across the top of the cap. Much sturdier for the application. A little late to go back and take everything down to do a repair, but I think the braces will help and I will post some pictures of what I am experiencing with this one. All in all the dish itself performs well and I can get from 72W to 137W with a 24" actuator.

WSI Bargain 6'

Well I promised some pics when I got the braces on. This should keep the weld from breaking and it also improved my signal and locked me permanently due south to the mast. The arc is perfectly tracking and I get 75 quality on my S10 from 87W to 135W. During the winter I can get to 72W, but the dish is almost at the flop over point and there is a tree in the way now. I still have to brace the actuator mount, it twists and needs to be stiffer. Surprising for angle steely. But I have some 15-5 PH 1/4" that will take care of it, just need to cut it and drill it. Then I can change the way it's mounted and get rid of all the washers and spacers.

Picture Dump June 2012 054.JPGPicture Dump June 2012 052.JPGPicture Dump June 2012 053.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)